GM Inside News Forum banner

Canada to quadruple renewable fuel production in next 5 years

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  racy 
#1 ·
Government of Canada Calls on Industry to Participate in New Biofuels Initiative

Gasoline sold in Canada will require an average of five percent renewable content by 2010. Diesel fuel and heating oil will require an average of two percent renewable content by 2012. To meet those requirements, it is estimated that Canada will need three billion litres of renewable fuel a year. Canadian production is currently about 800 million litres per year.

Under the ecoENERGY for Biofuels initiative, which the Prime Minister announced in July 2007, the Government of Canada will invest up to $1.5 billion over nine years in incentives to encourage greater private sector investment in biofuel production. Producers of ethanol and other renewable alternatives to gasoline will be eligible for incentives of up to 10 cents per litre of production; biodiesel producers can receive incentives of up to 20 cents per litre, for the first three years.

#3 ·
This announced quadrupling of renewable fuel (essentially ethanol), doesn't require any E85 stations. It would just add the ethanol, in small amounts (about 5%), to ALL gasoline in the existing pumps. This is well under the 15% threshold for needing any changes to your car, or the station's pumps.

It would still be nice to see more E85 offered though, at least to give us the option.

#5 ·
In Ontario all of it is E10, it's the law! Yes I agree E85 should be present too, I find it difficult to believe that I live in Oshawa with a giant factory spitting out thousands of E85 capable vehicles when there isn't even a E85 gas station around. Closest ones to GTA are in Guelph and Ottawa.

#6 ·
I happened to drive by the Guelph one a couple of weeks ago, E85 was priced the same as regular E10 for neighbouring stations. I would have liked to try some anyway, but I had almost a full tank at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.