Bring Back the Mobil Economy Run?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Bring Back the Mobil Economy Run?

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Bring Back the Mobil Economy Run?

Forbes.com
    Jerry Flint
    Out Front

People put automakers into two camps for fuel efficiency: one saint, Toyota, for its Prius hybrid, and many sinners (including all three Detroit companies). Most of the car companies are sitting on their hands, the complaint goes, crying when anyone asks them to get more mileage out of cars.

Not true. The car companies are beginning to make fuel-saving technology a standard feature. They are also pushing more-radical projects that could change our world. But even if those radical dreams fail, we're going to see serious improvements in fuel economy soon.

It takes time, years, to get production up on new transmissions and engine modifications for millions of cars. They start on a few models and spread. That's the way the auto industry works.

There are efforts to give gasoline engines diesel-like fuel economy (25% to 30% better). Ford says it will have such an engine, with two turbochargers, on a new Lincoln at the end of this year.

The more far-off dreams include efforts to build a plug-in hybrid, which could let you do your commuting and shopping without consuming any gas while still having the gasoline engine for long trips. With one of these you could drive 100 miles for every gallon of gas you buy. Hydrogen fuel cell cars might be practical in a few decades. If the hydrogen came from a nuclear plant or windmill, it would spare the atmosphere.

What about putting today's cars on the South Beach diet, lightening them by hundreds of pounds and going to smaller engines? That would work, for sure, but no one goes that way, not in Detroit, Wolfsburg or Toyota City. Buyers won't accept a smaller version of the car they have. If a car is going to be smaller, it must be something new. Thus Honda brings in a small model called the Fit instead of making its Civic smaller. GM seems happy getting its smallest cars from Korea, and Chrysler talks about building one in China. Ford seems to want to build one in its Brazilian plants.

Detroit needs to do a better job of trumpeting its environmental successes. Does anyone remember the Mobil Economy Run? It was a race, sponsored by the old oil company, in which the winner was the vehicle that got the most miles per gallon. It was last seen in 1967. Maybe it's time to start it up again.

SOURCE

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Bring Back the Mobil Economy Run?

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    Forbes.com
    Jerry Flint
    Out Front

Detroit needs to do a better job of trumpeting its environmental successes. Does anyone remember the Mobil Economy Run? It was a race, sponsored by the old oil company, in which the winner was the vehicle that got the most miles per gallon. It was last seen in 1967. Maybe it's time to start it up again.
    I'd be all for it IF GM had anything to compete at the small end, and if the 'run' became 'runs' by category. For example, sub-compact, ..., small truck, full sized truck, etc.. But as things stand, GM would get creamed.

This is why it continues to be so disappointing that GM has nothing to compete at the small end. It's all about perception and Toyota/Honda have advantages ONLY at the small end, but that's what people focus on when they thing MPG, so GM is seen as a maker of fuel hogs. But hey, GM is coming out with a Camaro, maybe some kind of El Camino, and who knows what else that are apparently loads of fun for Lutz and Wagoner.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

I think it would be a good idea to bring back that race. Let's see who has real world fuel economy...and not somebody's dream at the EPA.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havasavana
    I'd be all for it IF GM had anything to compete at the small end, and if the 'run' became 'runs' by category. For example, sub-compact, ..., small truck, full sized truck, etc.. But as things stand, GM would get creamed.
    Agree and I second that, I also think of an additionnal suggestion like
    adding diesel and flex-fuel vehicules categories or sub-categories as subcompact gas/subcompact diesel/E85

Edit: for the last year of the Mobil Economy run it was 1968 in the US, however it holded a couple of additionnal years in the UK http://www.ianbyrne.free-online.co.u...al/economy.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_Economy_Run
    Last edited by Stéphane Dumas; 08-25-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68
    I think it would be a good idea to bring back that race. Let's see who has real world fuel economy...and not somebody's dream at the EPA.
    It's not exactly real world fuel economy.

It IS achievable MPGs a careful and obsessive-compulsive driver can attain if he doesn't mind pissing off everyone within three miles, as he drives like a paranoid 100-year-old slowpoke.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Hoosier Red's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS4SW/2012/Black

Yeah - it drives me crazy that every iteration of a car or truck has to become larger. I know we've become larger too, but it's getting ridiculous. The latest trucks are just outrageous in size. You would have to buy a Colorado to get something the size of a pickup in the 50's or 60's.

However, more to the point on a GM board, GM has to get serious about coming up with a competitive small car. Aveo? Seriously. This needs to be their Manhatten Project.
    "If you don't want to go fast, then quit racing and go do something else. And you might want to get some kerosene rags and tie them around your ankles. That'll keep the bugs from crawling up your legs and eating your candy ass." - Dale Earnhardt

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 DemonKnightDK's Avatar
    Thanks

the aveo fuel situation could be easily fixed with a simple engine upgrade... give the damn Korean factory that builds their 1.6 the blueprints and tooling for the DI I4 2.0 from the solstice (dosent even have to be the turbo one, hell make from cast iron to save costs.) it would have to get better results than whats in there now...
    When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty.
    GB Shaw

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DemonKnightDK
    the aveo fuel situation could be easily fixed with a simple engine upgrade... give the damn Korean factory that builds their 1.6 the blueprints and tooling for the DI I4 2.0 from the solstice (dosent even have to be the turbo one, hell make from cast iron to save costs.) it would have to get better results than whats in there now...
    I agree. I still don't see GM's case with keeping the old, inefficient 4 cylinder that is in the Aveo now. I bet it is even cheaper to use a newer, more implemented design, for GM. Sometimes I wonder...
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    What about putting today's cars on the South Beach diet, lightening them by hundreds of pounds and going to smaller engines? That would work, for sure, but no one goes that way, not in Detroit, Wolfsburg or Toyota City. Buyers won't accept a smaller version of the car they have.
    thats the problem, people want greeater efficiency, but at the same time they are not willing to give up their suburbans.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information