Is Brazil's Sugar Cane Ethanol Better Than Corn Based??

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Brazil's Sugar Cane Ethanol Better Than Corn Based??

Thanks

Is Brazil's Sugar Cane Ethanol Better Than Corn Based??

A Sweeter Way to Go Green
    Newsweek, August 19, 2007

How Brazil is transforming sugar cane into ethanol that it claims is a cleaner, cheaper and more sustainable source of fuel.

According to its advocates, sugar cane ethanol is the next best thing to hotwiring the sun. Relatively speaking, they say, it's also easy on the atmosphere, releasing a fraction of the carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases that add to the world's steamy greenhouse. Also, because plant waste can be used as fertilizer or as fuel to fire the distillery furnaces, making sugar ethanol requires only a fifth of the gasoline and diesel it typically takes to make fuel from crops like corn. And Brazil's sweet brand of ethanol is efficient, brewed without the official price props or government handouts that are common in Europe and the United States.
    But environmental groups aren't so juiced. Trailing Lula was a chorus of jeers from world environmentalists and civic groups, such as Conservation International, the Brazilian labor organization CUT, and even the United Nations Environment Program. They have portrayed sugar cane as the steamroller of agriculture, flattening forests and untold species of wildlife in its path, and decried ethanol as a serious polluter crossdressing as green fuel. Though fuel alcohol burns cleaner than fossil fuels, the doubters predict the biofuel boom will push sugar cane deep into the backlands, all the way to the Amazon basin, so destroying precious biodiversity. Naysayers also claim that turning over farmland to energy crops will crowd out conventional crops, sending the price of food and animal feed soaring.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20341334/site/newsweek/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Is Brazil's Sugar Cane Ethanol Better Than Corn Based??

Anything more economical to make than from corn seems to be better. Less energy used in production means more energy saved. Just don't flatten all the forrests to produce sugar cane.

Thanks

Conservation International, the Brazilian labor organization CUT, and even the United Nations Environment Program
    Like I want those three groups having any influence on any decision that impacts my life in any way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    Like I want those three groups having any influence on any decision that impacts my life in any way.
    Well they don't and frankly dimissing criticisms from outside or inside the US just because they don't fit your world view is a rather naive thing to do. They make a valid point about the demolishen of the rain forests. The rain forests account for (from one estimate) almost 80% of the world's oxygen. They are also amongst the largest carbon syncs on the planet.

So by demolishing them you are getting rid of the planet's natural defenses against CO2 output. CO2 causes warming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    CO2 causes warming.
    No it does not.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 1931Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

IMO ethanol from sugar canes is better than the one from corn
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931Hidden Content
    Hungry ,eat your import

GMI Staff Member Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    No it does not.
    It's basic chemisty. It obsorbes and traps heat moreso than the other gases naturally found in the atmosphere. I'm sorry Michael Savage isn't right and I hope you have the decency to respond with a bit more class to the critique than Savage usually does.

Thanks

I was watching the History channel and they said that their is a type of wild grass that is better than corn and suger cane. I can't remeber what its called. It grow more in the evarglades and it is sharp when you run your hands throught it going down but; go up and it feels like a babies ass.
    What is this grass?
    30seconds29seconds!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    It's basic chemisty. It obsorbes and traps heat moreso than the other gases naturally found in the atmosphere. I'm sorry Michael Savage isn't right and I hope you have the decency to respond with a bit more class to the critique than Savage usually does.
    CO2 does cause warming. Man-made CO2, however, is not responsible for global warming. It's just simple math. If human-kind is responsible for about 2-3% of the CO2 in the atmosphere, there's no way in hell that we're heating the planet, and it's foolish to believe that reducing CO2 emissions would even have the slightest impact.

Of course, Al Gore has you brainwashed, and it's pointless to argue with you Greenhouse Zealots.

If you still think we're the cause, do your part and stop breathing. Get 10 of your global warming friends to do it, too. And have them tell 10 each of their friends and so on. Only then will global warming be defeated..
    Last edited by vanshmack; 08-19-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

regardless of whether it's better, sugar can ethanol has one serious flaw; it doesn't reduce our dependence on foreign nations for energy. Ironically enough, with global warming, this may change as there will be more places on US soil to grow sugar cane.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

Thanks

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought that we all knew that sugar cane ethanol was far superior to corn based...
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

1st let me start by saying that @ this late hour, i really just don't feel like capitalization... so anybody waiting to flame me for that, get off your high horse...

a: CO2 is partly responsible for global warming. but to believe that the cause of global warming is human interference is SILLY. the same scientists who want up to believe global warming is a totally human caused thing are the same ones who want us to believe the climate on earth goes through cycles. how did these cycles occur befor humans began "messing up the atmosphere"
    people have about as much control over global warming as they do on if it rains or not. (oops poor analogy, we CAN seed clouds and cause rain...)

b: as i understand it, global warming as Al Gore sees it is almost impossible. the slight warming of the planet that causes the polar icecaps to melt and raise the level of the oceans will do nothing but cause another ice age. supposedly the extra surface area of bigger oceans will cause the earth no not heat up as proficiently as it does now and will cause the earth to cool down drasticlally. so in theory we shouldnt drive SUV's out of fear of a new ice age.

c: livestock contribute more to global warming than people do. so how about we all stop driving big SUV's and become vegans??? sounds great.

d: the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere contributed by the amazon is in debate, but is ISNT EVEN CLOSE to 80% of the amount in the atmosphere. the amount contributed by blue-green algae in the oceans is somewher around 50% of the total produced anyway... so lets get real...
    thanks. now back to the niketalk board... lol

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack
    CO2 does cause warming. Man-made CO2, however, is not responsible for global warming. It's just simple math. If human-kind is responsible for about 2-3% of the CO2 in the atmosphere, there's no way in hell that we're heating the planet, and it's foolish to believe that reducing CO2 emissions would even have the slightest impact.

Of course, Al Gore has you brainwashed, and it's pointless to argue with you Greenhouse Zealots.

If you still think we're the cause, do your part and stop breathing. Get 10 of your global warming friends to do it, too. And have them tell 10 each of their friends and so on. Only then will global warming be defeated..
    You've been drinking the radical right wing cool-aid my friend. if anyone is brainwashed, it is you. We've been pumping Carbon into the atmosphere in the form of CO2 since the beginning of the industrial revolution in the mid 1800s at an ever increasing rate, and now we are adding even more form places like China and India. By every measure the amounts of carbon and other chemicals going into the atmosphere are unparalleled in measurable history and we have to do something about it!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information