Biofuel Update 8-20-07 (Corn free!) -- UPDATED (Still corn free!)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Biofuel Update 8-20-07 (Corn free!) -- UPDATED (Still corn free!)

Thanks

Biofuel Update 8-20-07 (Corn free!) -- UPDATED (Still corn free!)

Restaurant grease becoming "hot" item.
    A local company has employed for many years a former Texas Ranger and a former Texas cop to track down criminals stealing a valuable substance - restaurant grease.

Their job has gotten busier.

The rising price of ethanol and increasing popularity of biodiesel fuel have spurred more people to take grease from traps behind restaurants to convert it to biodiesel or sell it on the black market.
    Peru turns wasteland into sugarcane fields for ethanol exports
    SOJO, PERU With a sweep of his arm, Gov. Cesar Trelles showed off acres of hilly scrub-land that, at first glance, seem best suited for the foxes, lizards and geckos that call it home.

But in a few months, he said, the panorama will change dramatically.

Dallas-based Maple Energy will level the land and plant 20,000 acres of sugar cane in a $157 million project to produce ethanol for export to the United States and Europe.

It plans to begin growing sugar cane here in 2008, using water from a nearby river and a sophisticated drip irrigation system. Ethanol production is expected to start in 2008 with a goal of producing 30 million gallons a year.

"Nobody wanted this land, but now it is worth very much," said Trelles, the governor of Piura state in northern Peru.
    Poultry "litter" turned into bio-oil
    BLACKSBURG, Va., Aug. 20 (UPI) -- U.S. scientists are developing portable pyrolysis units that can convert poultry litter into bio-oil in a system that addresses biosecurity issues.
    Virginia Tech Associate Professor Foster Agblevor, who is leading the research, said the technology can convert poultry litter into three value-added byproducts -- pyrodiesel, producer gas, and fertilizer.
    The pyrolysis unit heats the litter until it vaporizes, the scientists said. The vapor is then condensed to produce the bio-oil and a slow-release fertilizer is recovered from the reactor. The gas can then be used to operate the pyrolysis unit, thereby making it a self-sufficient system.
    More than 5.6 million tons of poultry litter are produced each year in the United States.
    Brazil: World's largest biodiesel plant to use cow fat
    SAO PAULO (Dow Jones)--One of Brazil's largest meatpackers, the Bertin group, plans to begin operation on Tuesday of what could be the world's biggest biodiesel plant run on cow tallow, the company said Friday.

The launch ceremony of the 110-million-liter-per-year plant, which is located in the municipality of Lins in Sao Paulo state, will be attended by Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, a big biofuel advocate.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 08-21-2007 at 01:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Biofuel Update 8-20-07 (Corn free!)

Canadian company wants to build cellulosic ethanol plant in Colorado

VANCOUVER, Aug. 20 - Lignol Energy Corporation (TSX-V: LEC) ("Lignol") today announced that its U.S. subsidiary, Lignol Innovations Inc., has filed a formal application with the U.S. Department of Energy ("DOE") regarding a grant for US$30 million under the DOE's cellulosic ethanol and biofuels funding program, to fund the development of a cellulosic ethanol commercial demonstration plant in Colorado....

Under the cellulosic ethanol and biofuels funding program, the DOE intends to make up to US$200 million in funding available over the next five years to support the development of small-scale cellulosic biorefineries in the United States. Successful applicants are expected to have their projects operational within three to four years of DOE funding approval. The DOE expects to announce the successful funding applicants by February 2008.
    If the grant is approved, this would be the fourth cellulosic ethanol plant n the U.S. (others in Georgia,Michigan and Kansas), with one in Canada.

World's Largest Soy Biodiesel Plant Opens In God's Country
    The world's largest soy biodiesel facility opens this morning in the small northern Indiana town of Claypool. Governor Mitch Daniels will join leaders from Louis Dreyfus Commodities during the opening ceremony at 10 a.m....

The plant is capable of producing 88 million gallons of soy biodiesel every year.

Indiana is considered a leading producer in the biofuels industry. Two other biodiesel and six ethanol plants are currently under construction.
    Western Canada getting first large scale biodiesel plant
    Western Canada's first large-scale biodiesel refinery could be built near Edmonton in Sturgeon County, where an application has been filed with the province to build a plant that would process canola oil....

The Edmonton-area plant will make 114 million litres [30 million gallons] a year of fuel-grade biodiesel from canola
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 08-21-2007 at 01:15 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Biofuel Update 8-20-07 (Corn free!) -- UPDATED (Still corn free!)

sorry if I got to you with the corn article the other day. i wasn't trying to badmouth biofuels in general.

i think most people here know that biofuels come from many more sources other than corn.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Wow, talk about a wealth of information. Thanks! You're the Bio-Fuel king
    GM: 'Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!'
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I don't know wether I'd call northern Indiana God's Country... that's northern Michigan to me.. and I'm from northern Indiana. Whatever the case I'm glad to see a new market for our soybeans and...... corn

Thanks

Great news! My taxes will increase to pay for these new plants and the price of food will rise. Only the government could think of this. At least the caribou in Alaska will not be bothered. And we might replace a very tiny percentage of oil based fuels.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish I cashed on used kitchen grease before. It looks like it is getting more popular, and the price is probably going up as we speak. Maybe we can still cash in right now, and hope it pays off down the road.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information