Bill Gates Buys Stake in EcoMotors, Producer of Potentially Revolutionary Engine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates Buys Stake in EcoMotors, Producer of Potentially Revolutionary Engine

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Bill Gates Buys Stake in EcoMotors, Producer of Potentially Revolutionary Engine

By Danny King

Bill Gates is buying a stake of EcoMotors International, illustrating the Microsoft chairman's confidence in the development of the company's so-called OPOC engine, whose design is said to boost fuel economy by as much as 50 percent while cutting engine weight in half.

Gates, along with Silicon Valley-based venture-capital firm Khosla Ventures, invested a combined $23.5 million in the two-year-old company, said EcoMotors CEO and former General Motors executive Don Runkle in an interview with Green Car Advisor today. Runkle declined to disclose how much of the investment was from Gates or how big a stake Gates and Khosla will have in the Troy, Michigan-based company.

The investment illustrates how much confidence, Gates, who co-founded Microsoft in 1975, has in EcoMotors' Opposed-Piston Opposed-Cylinder (OPOC) engine, which was originally conceived by company Chairman and former Volkswagen head of powertrain development Peter Hofbauer. Using two pistons per cylinder that move in opposite directions, the two-stroke OPOC, which can run on fuels ranging from conventional gasoline to diesel to ethanol, doesn't require a cylinder head or valve train and cuts piston travel distance in half.

As a result, EcoMotors estimates that the OPOC engine is about half the weight and uses half the parts of a similarly-powered conventional engine, and may boost fuel economy by as much as 50 percent. For instance, EcoMotors' 300-pound EM 100 engine puts out 325 horsepower, or slightly more than one horsepower per pound. Additionally, because of its relatively small size, multiple OPOC motors can be paired and connected with an electronically-controlled clutch.

"The OPOC engine can be an important step in providing affordable, low-emissions transportation for the developing world," Gates said in a statement released by EcoMotors today. "EcoMotors has developed a promising technology that could help reduce levels of greenhouse-gas emissions in a low-cost, globally relevant way."

With the additional cash in hand, EcoMotors, whose president is former Ford Motor Co. executive John Coletti, has "a significant runway" to further develop the engine, which was used by European aerospace giant EADS in the diesel-hybrid-electric-powered helicopter it exhibited at the Berlin Air Show last month, according to Runkle.

The company is talking to "a number" of potential customers in the automotive industry and expects to deploy its engines in production vehicles within "a few years," said Runkle.

Full article:
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...ry-engine.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Re: Bill Gates Buys Stake in EcoMotors, Producer of Potentially Revolutionary Engine

The power-to-weight isn't that impressive, I'm more interested in the durability of whatever system links the crankshafts together.
    Last edited by Slideways; 07-12-2010 at 09:10 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Re: Bill Gates Buys Stake in EcoMotors, Producer of Potentially Revolutionary Engine

When Gates is done with it drivers will have to pull over to the side ever hundred clicks or so and restart it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds promising. Yet daily I wonder how Gates became mega-rich. But I'm too cheap to buy an Apple.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

It can run on diesel OR gasoline, is smaller than crap, and they're already producing over 300 horsepower with it? Interesting. I hope they use really good piston rings.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTS-V

Don Runkle was a great engineer but a lousy business executive. He was also good at BS and apparently still is..........

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    It can run on diesel OR gasoline, is smaller than crap, and they're already producing over 300 horsepower with it? Interesting. I hope they use really good piston rings.
    It weights over 300-lbs. Engines that weight about 300-lbs that are capable of 300-hp aren't that hard to come by. Off the top of my head I could think of a couple of boosted 2.0L 4-cylinders that fit the bill. The LNF is around 300-hp and made 290hp with a Stage 2 kit, right? The 4.2L Atlas made 290-hp and it weighs in under 300-lbs. according to an engine builder.

An LS3 makes 436-hp and I bet it weights about 425-lbs too.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

OPOC?.. I guess I'm missing what the big deal is here. I have a few horizontally opposed cylinder engines sitting in the garage needing rebuilds. Nice low end torque, terrible on fuel. Very poor air/fuel mixture (swirl) going into a sideways cylinder like that. I thought those things were dinosaurs in the game..

The only engine that's peaked my interest in recent years is the Carousel engine. About 5-6 years ago there was tons of info floating around the internet about it and then it disappeared. This small little circular motor (internal combustion) would put out the power of a good 350 yet was a fraction of the size. It seemed like 16-18 inches round maybe? 8-10 inches thick. The pistons fired and went up and down on this circular rollercoaster/cam thing spinning round and round. That thing was beyond kick ass...

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfDurant View Post
    OPOC?.. I guess I'm missing what the big deal is here. I have a few horizontally opposed cylinder engines sitting in the garage needing rebuilds.
    The big deal is that the pistons mote towards each other in each cylinder. I imagine that would create tremendous swirl because it should have the same effect as doubling piston speed. I would also imagine that timing becomes even more crucial, which would make this an ideal candidate for direct injection. I don't like the look of those connecting rods though, I wonder what the real thing looks like. I don't see how it could possibly be compact either.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2KD-Re8eo[/ame]

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,215 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

i drew something very similar to this in highschool...brings back some memories, only my version had 2 seperate but conected crankshafts, their version looks a bit more feasable.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

What does Bill Gates know about cars? Heck, any given version of Windows only works right about 75% of the time.

This engine design has major issues to work out, including cooling, lubrication, crankshaft balance, and cost of manufacture, given the need for strong, lightweight, heat-resistant materials. Those long (and opposed) connecting rods look like a lot of inertial mass, and a plethora of joints that look like even greater complexity and expense.

Could it work? Yes, but the rotary engine has been in production a long time and has yet to overcome its drawbacks. Don't hold your breath on this one.
    Last edited by agent.theory; 07-13-2010 at 12:52 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    This sounds promising. Yet daily I wonder how Gates became mega-rich. But I'm too cheap to buy an Apple.
    Going to a good college, taking chances, reinvesting properly, sex with the devil, and Microsoft Office.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

And another thing, GM will spend about 500 million to develop a new small-block V-8, and Hyundai spent about the same to develop its Tau V-8. What will this company get for 23 million? A piston?

Seriously, this looks like another case of Silicon Valley arrogance.

Thanks

It has been a long time since I had so many occurrences of ignorance on this site.

Yes, this is a different technology than the good old pushrod v8, but that doesn't mean we have to knock it down before it has been given a chance!

That said, I can't wait to get my hands on a GMT-800 with a 350 again... !
    R.I.P:
    - 1993 Chevy Blazer 4x4
    - 1980 Pontiac Firebird
    - 1968 Dodge Dart

You will all be missed!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha Mond View Post
    When Gates is done with it drivers will have to pull over to the side ever hundred clicks or so and restart it.
    And the car will only follow directions from a Bill Gates sat nav

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information