Automakers Boosting Fuel Economy By Switching Engine Oils

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Automakers Boosting Fuel Economy By Switching Engine Oils

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Green Car Reports
    October 20, 2010
    by Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Tightening fuel efficiency and emissions regulations all around the world are pushing automakers to find ways they can improve their respective fleet's figures, with almost no element of the car being left untouched. Concepts that have worked quite successfully in the past include reducing weight, improving aerodynamics and even extracting heat energy normally wasted in the exhaust. Now, automakers have turned to a vehicle’s engine oil to see what improvements can be made.

One of the leaders in this field is GM, which is filling the engines of all its 2011 models with a new oil formulation known in the industry as GF-5 or SN grade. GM calls it dexos1.

The special grade is only given to oils that are designed to help engines run more efficiently and offer greater protection from wear. This latter element is increasingly becoming more important as vehicles switch to downsized engines that tend to extract more horsepower with the use of heat-producing forced induction mechanisms such as turbochargers and superchargers.

As for fuel economy using the new oil, gains are made due to less internal friction in the engine but the added cost--often between 20 and 25 percent more than regular oils--may negate any savings from the gains in fuel economy.

A secondary benefit to the improved fuel economy, however, is a longer lifespan for the oil, which equates to a longer time between service intervals.

Importantly, most automakers warn that using an incorrect oil for your vehicle may void its powertrain warranty so check your owner’s manual before your next oil change.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: Automakers Boosting Fuel Economy By Switching Engine Oils

Low-friction oils will help the manufacturers toward the goals of higher fuel economy and long engine life. Research for yourself what makes the most sense for YOU.

Thanks

For me Mobil One, I have used it for Twenty One years, with no internal engine issues, on any brand of car I have owned.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Is this a new oil better than mobil one?
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

Paul, I'd bet there have been major improvements since Mobil 1

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Infiniti G35 coupe

It's interesting that CAFE is driving some innovation from the auto industry.

Even something as simple as reformulated motor oil, which in year's past would have been ignored in order to pinch every penny of profit. Like it or not, the auto industry is unique in that it sometimes requires a push from the government to move new ideas into the marketplace, outside of bigger vehicles and more horsepower (neither of which I have a problem with).

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

GF-5 and SN oils are industry standards. Dexos1 exceeds this standard and seems to require a synthetic oil. For instance, the Pennzoil Yellow Bottle standard oil can be upgraded to meet GF-5 and SN (as nearly all oils will need to) but to get a Dexos1 oil you need to get the Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. The difference between synthetic and non-synthetic are getting smaller as the non-synthetic oils are getting more refined and coming closer to being synthetic in their levels of refinement. I believe the standard Mobil 1 synthetic meets Dexos1 requirements as well. I think GM pushing for longer oil change intervals in their vehicles is what is mandating a tighter specification compared to the industry standard. Not uncommon in the industry either. VW, BMW, etc. all require more than a basic oil.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Paul, I'd bet there have been major improvements since Mobil 1
    Mobil I has been modified many times. They will offer a matching spec to the Dexos1, also!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

How much do you want to bet that garages are still going to insist on 3,000 mile oil changes?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

From another board:

In order to meet both robustness and fuel economy requirements, Dexos will most likely have to manufactured from Group III synthetic base stock and an anti-wear additive containing molybdenum. Group III is a very highly refined petroleum base stock that meets the performance definition of traditional “synthetic” motor oil made from man-made polyalfaolefin (PAO) Group IV base stock. Either way, expect Dexos to be a synthetic motor oil, and expect it to be priced accordingly.

Further adding to the price of Dexos will be the inclusion of molybdenum, a rare trace element that costs as much as $37.25 per pound. Compare that with zinc, the most common anti-wear element in motor oil currently on the market, which costs around 65 cents per pound.

Based on discussions among panelists, the per-quart price of Dexos will likely be 40 to 60 percent higher than industry-standard motor oil currently licensed by the American Petroleum Institute (API). Additionally, if past experience applies the quart price of Dexos will involve yet another disparity between dealerships and other service providers. Four times what dealerships pay is the typical increase for non-dealership purchases of licensed proprietary products.

And speaking of licenses, GM also mentioned licensing fees for distributors in the range of $1,000 to $5,000 per year, as well as an “underhood” royalty of 32 cents to $1 per oil change, a fee that would apply to automotive service facilities.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...486884&fpart=1

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Thanks

As with many automatic transmissions, these days, the manufacturers are inching a step closer to "sealed" engines...

Thanks

molybdenum is very slippery, but they have had a problem keeping it in suspension. Has the precipitation of moly been solved?

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I don't know about this. There's a lot of unknown between "better protection" and "higher cost". And with everything that's supposedly better but costs more I'm a bit skeptical.

For instance I know that for my car Toyota recommends 0W-20 which surprise, surprise, can pretty much only be found at the dealerships for 2x the cost of other synthetic oils. Plus looking at some forums everyone seemed to agree that it's a bit too thin of an oil for where I live.
    So now I'm using 5W-30 which I think would be the best choice for me.

Anyway my point is, better oils are great as long as they're priced accordingly and the market remains free. However I fear manufacturers may try to lock people on using oils only they can deliver by threatening to deny warranty otherwise.

Walking
    Thanks

Keep in mind, engines are built/assembled with a specific weight (viscosity) in mind - you shouldn't just dump 0W-20 into your 1995 Chevy, thinking it's going to net you a 1 MPG increase in fuel economy. The engine must be built with "thin oil" in mind, from the beginning.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 759 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawT52 View Post
    Keep in mind, engines are built/assembled with a specific weight (viscosity) in mind - you shouldn't just dump 0W-20 into your 1995 Chevy, thinking it's going to net you a 1 MPG increase in fuel economy. The engine must be built with "thin oil" in mind, from the beginning.
    But also remember that those tolerances loosen up over time. 5W20 is far to thin for a 100K Mile engine. When I had my 5.4L (ya know Disaster Engine) I had 230K and Snow Plowing Miles, on the original Phasers and Chain. But 5W30, was used from 130K, and changed Often! I lost maybe 1-2mpg in switching.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information