Amid gridlock, senators introduce stand-alone ethanol fuel bill

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amid gridlock, senators introduce stand-alone ethanol fuel bill

Thanks

Amid gridlock, senators introduce stand-alone ethanol fuel bill

US senators offer stand-alone ethanol fuel bill

WASHINGTON, Oct 18 (Reuters) - Citing delays in reconciling energy legislation passed by both chambers of Congress earlier this year, two Democratic senators on Thursday unveiled a stand-alone bill to require 18 billion gallons of renewable fuels to be blended with U.S. gasoline supply by 2016.

Sen. Barack Obama, Illinois Democrat and 2008 presidential candidate, and Sen. Tom Harkin, Iowa Democrat and chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee, offered a bill that would raise the U.S. renewable fuel standard to 18 billion gallons by 2016, including 3 billion gallons from advanced biofuels like cellulosic ethanol.

An energy bill the Senate passed in June would mandate a four-fold increase in ethanol use in motor gasoline, to 36 billion gallons by 2022.

However, attempts to reconcile the Senate bill with the version passed by the House of Representatives have stalled. The House bill contains no ethanol mandates.

U.S. ethanol plants are forecast to produce about 6.5 billion gallons in 2007, according to the Renewable Fuels Association.
    This bill recognizes that we are not going to get more than 15 billion gallons of ethanol from corn, thus, the 3 billion gallon cellulosic ethanol requirement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Amid gridlock, senators introduce stand-alone ethanol fuel bill

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon

That is downright scary and disturbing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

On topic, the push for cellulosic ethanol is awesome. I wish the stuff was more widely available. I burn E85 at home but when I travel out of state its difficult to find an E85 station.
    Last edited by GMCSonoma; 10-19-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

The topic is about ethanol & NOT HR's avatar...please keep it to the topic in the news threads please!!!!!!!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

I love your avatar HR.

I'm a fan of Obama - good since he's my Senator. This seems a bit like grandstanding to me.

Reconciling the energy bills is back room, compromise stuff - hard work of legislating and no one can take credit. Having a stand alone bill seems aimed at snatching headlines.

Thanks

Sounds like the Bolsheviks have taken over Congress.
    This is the sort of economics you would see in the old USSR.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluecon
    Sounds like the Bolsheviks have taken over Congress.
    This is the sort of economics you would see in the old USSR.
    Comrade Bluecon, I am glad that you approve of the Party's wise leadership in promoting the economy of the Motherland. Your commissar will be pleased.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 10-19-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

That's only because people are willing to spend that much on it. How I see it, Oil now isn't much more expensive than it ever was considering inflation. Too bad the money is going to the wrong people.

Thanks

Comrade Bluecon, I am glad that you approve of the Party's wise leadership in promoting the economy of the Motherland. Your commissar will be pleased.
    Do you work for the ethanol industry?
    That would explain your unwavering support for such an inferior product.

Thanks

Do you work for the ethanol industry?
    That would explain your unwavering support for such an inferior product.
    No, I do not work for the ethanol industry.

The explanation for my support for ethanol is not a secret. Rather than asking "what fuel is best for my billfold", I ask "what fuel is best for my nation". You, like many, have no grasp of what it means to be a member of a nation. Rather, you view yourself as a participant in the marketplace. Nothing more. To you, spending money to promote your nation is crazy. To you, everyone's individual promotion of himself is what is best. In your view of the world, no one who is sane would ever pay $3.00 for a gallon of Iowa grown ethanol if you can get Saudi gasoline for the same price because you will get better mileage with gasoline. You view E85 as economic insanity. I would agree with you if I had no concept of nation.

To me, it is only natural to be willing to pay a little extra if it means the money is going to help a fellow member of my nation. To me, buying E85 means an Iowa farmer can buy his wife a new dress. Is this in my personal best interest? No. Is it in my nation's best interest? Yes.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 10-19-2007 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks

Yes I think it is idiotic to waste billions of confiscated taxpayer dollars on corn ethanol.

And as I have explained to you at least 10 times, there is a great deal of oil available in the USA that only needs to be produced, there is an almost limitless supply of coal and nuclear should be developed. Any of these options are superior to turning food into ethanol.

Your whole argument of wrapping yourself in the flag and playing up the Middle East and Chavez is juvenile.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

No, I do not work for the ethanol industry.

The explanation for my support for ethanol is not a secret. Rather than asking "what fuel is best for my billfold", I ask "what fuel is best for my nation". You, like many, have no grasp of what it means to be a member of a nation. Rather, you view yourself as a participant in the marketplace. Nothing more. To you, spending money to promote your nation is crazy. To you, everyone's individual promotion of himself is what is best. In your view of the world, no one who is sane would ever pay $3.00 for a gallon of Iowa grown ethanol if you can get Saudi gasoline for the same price because you will get better mileage with gasoline. You view E85 as economic insanity. I would agree with you if I had no concept of nation.

To me, it is only natural to be willing to pay a little extra if it means the money is going to help a fellow member of my nation. To me, buying E85 means an Iowa farmer can buy his wife a new dress. Is this in my personal best interest? No. Is it in my nation's best interest? Yes.

HR I could not agree with you more, I wish more people did this with everything they purchased, we would be better off as a nation.

Oh and im waiting for a E85 or Ethanol ICE in a volt, that combination would reduce our dependancy on oil by at least 85%, maybe even 95%, that would be great

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TORRED1
    HR I could not agree with you more, I wish more people did this with everything they purchased, we would be better off as a nation.
    True story --

Last night my wife sent me to the store to get milk. As I walked to the dairy case, I was faced with a choice: get a gallon of milk from an interstate industrial scale dairy conglomerate (Kemps) for $3.99, or get a half gallon of milk from an organic co-op (Organic Valley) for $6.39 (i.e., more than 3 times the price).

I actually thought about the fact that the organic farms are family owned (or so the carton said), and the cows are walking around in fields chewing on organic grass. I then thought about how industrial farm companies are the ones complaining that they need illegal aliens to "do the work Americans won't do". I thought about cows in pens eating "protein meal" (i.e., ground up cow bone).

I got the organic milk.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes I think it is idiotic to waste billions of confiscated taxpayer dollars on corn ethanol.

And as I have explained to you at least 10 times, there is a great deal of oil available in the USA that only needs to be produced, there is an almost limitless supply of coal and nuclear should be developed. Any of these options are superior to turning food into ethanol.

Your whole argument of wrapping yourself in the flag and playing up the Middle East and Chavez is juvenile.
    So what do we do in 20 years when that oil is also gone? (or 40 years, or whatever. you get my point).

And there is not a "limitless" supply of coal. Sounds like a nearsighted and juvenile argument if you ask me.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information