Algae biodiesel plants everywhere

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Algae biodiesel plants everywhere

Thanks

Algae biodiesel plants everywhere

Here Comes Pond Scum Power

Algae flourish in saltwater or even wastewater and grow up to 40 times faster than other plants. Compared with current energy crops, algae have "the potential to deliver 10 or 100 times more energy per acre," says Ron C. Pate, a technical expert at Sandia National Labs. That's why industrial giants ranging from Chevron (CVX ) to Honeywell (HON ) to Boeing (BA ) are starting up algae business units. "In the past two years, we have changed from algae skeptics to proponents," says Dave Daggett, Boeing's technology leader for energy and emissions.
    In the U.S., demand for such plant-based oils is quickly outstripping supplies. That and algae's mystique have attracted the attention of energy entrepreneurs such as Martin Tobias, CEO of Imperium Renewables in Seattle, which is armed with $145 million in venture capital and private equity funding. Imperium buys practically every drop of oil U.S. algae startups are producing. So far it has sold just a few hundred gallons of finished fuel. But Tobias has dedicated a 5 million-gallon refinery to algae oil, and by 2011 he expects startups to be making 100 million gallons a year. At that point, Tobias reckons, the price per gallon will fall to $1.70, from as much as $20 today. "The only thing missing is the farms," he says. "I prefer not to operate a large-scale farm myself, but I may have to do it."
    Startups in the U.S. and Europe are turning to power companies and local governments to back larger trials, selling the idea that algae can offset some of the power plants' CO2 emissions. On Nov. 2, German energy group E-On Hansa said it would build a $3.2 million pilot algae farm at its Hamburg power plant with support from the city government. Portuguese biodiesel maker SGC Energia is investing in a $3 million pilot algae farm next to a power plant. It will be up and running in 2008.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Algae biodiesel plants everywhere

This sounds very interesting
    "I can do all things thru Christ, who strengthens me". Phillipians 4: 13

Thanks

Great thread, guys! I just love those Algae Biodiesel plants. Can you recommend me a store that sells those? I'm just dazzled by their beauty. I can look at them for hours, thinking about the harmony of the nature. Anyone wants a reef in his living room? I know I do, and have some of those Algaes there Some accompanying pics in the post here: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114774 - Hope you find it beautiful and exciting as I do

Best,
    Jason

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

This is the logical progression of what the 'moonshiners' were doing back during Prohibition. DIY fuel instead of DIY hooch.

OK that's probably too complex for most American families but for heavy energy users like GM, GE, US Steel, etc etc etc this is a natural. Most of these companies have huge energy needs and huge amounts of old underutilized facilities and land generating nothing. The greatest part of this energy 'need' is for diesel fuel/heating fuel. American ingenuity ( and profits ) will make this go - big time.

Soon municipalities and other organizations like say..the US Navy.. which also have huge energy needs most of which is diesel and heating fuel will also be in the business of supplying themselves.

Thanks

Just another stock swindle for gullible investors.
    Everyone knows The oil produced by algae is levorotory.
    Which is just fine, except that only oil that is dextrorotary will actually work in an internal combustion engine.

It's really going to be interesting when this stuff hits the streets and cars freeze up and stop running.

The only truly viable source of liquid energy is brought to you by the combined power of OPEC.

This message brought to you by OPEC.
    Established 1960.
    "Making the world safe for terrorism"

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information