35 MPG Energy Bill Overwhelmingly Passes Senate, President to Sign

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 35 MPG Energy Bill Overwhelmingly Passes Senate, President to Sign

Thanks

35 MPG Energy Bill Overwhelmingly Passes Senate, President to Sign

Tighter fuel standards clear Senate
    The chamber passes an energy bill, stripped of provisions including a repeal of a tax break for the oil and gas industries. Cars will have to be 40% more efficient by 2020.
    By Richard Simon, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    December 14, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly passed a broad energy bill that would impose the most significant increase in vehicle fuel-economy standards in three decades, and the White House said President Bush would sign it.

The measure cleared the Senate, 86 to 8, after Democratic leaders gave in to the president's demands that they preserve oil industry tax breaks and drop a requirement that utilities generate more electricity from cleaner sources. The bill now heads to the House, which is expected to approve it next week before Congress leaves for the holidays.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ack=crosspromo

A 35 mpg future for your car
    Car buyers' needs won't change but car companies will have to get more creative at meeting them.
    By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer
    December 13 2007

On the face of it, 35 mpg may sound like a huge leap. It would be the first major increase in fuel-economy standards in more than 30 years, and there are only a couple of mass-market cars - the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid - that actually get Environmental Protection Agency-estimated fuel economy better than 35 mpg in combined city and highway driving.

Current rules require cars to get an overall average of at least 27.5 mpg and trucks to average at least 22.5 mpg. In both cases, the actual average of all such vehicles exceeds those numbers, said Charles Territo of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, an industry trade group.

But there are several important points to remember about these new rules. They're very complicated. Learning contract bridge seems almost simple by comparison. Manufacturers say they provide needed flexibility, though.

When talking about fuel economy rules, we aren't talking about EPA estimated fuel economy. The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rules are administered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) not the EPA and the CAFE program works with a different set of fuel economy figures. The fuel economy figures used for judging CAFE compliance are at least 25 percent higher than the EPA figures the public sees, according to EPA documents.
    Different companies, different numbers

Under these new rules we're talking about, 35 mpg would be the average for all vehicles produced by all manufacturers. Individual fuel economy goals for each car company would by set by NHTSA in such a way that the all the the vehicles sold by all manufacturers will average out to 35 mpg.

A simplified example: One car maker could have a NHTSA-required target of 31 mpg. Another car maker might have 36 mpg, and another would have 38. Average the three together, and you get 35 mpg.

The first goals will be set in 2011 and goals will gradually become more stringent, as needed, until the 2020 goal is met. By 2020 some manufacturers will have goals that exceed 35 mpg, others will have lower goals.

As the proposed rules are currently written, manufacturers' fleets are still divided into cars and light trucks. Each company will be assigned a separate goal for its cars and for its trucks.

Meeting these requirements won't be easy. General Motors executives have said they will have to completely rethink their future product plans if these rules are enacted.

But there are several steps car companies can take in the short term to meet new fuel economy rules as they become gradually more strict. (And they will come stricter for all car companies. Nobody gets to stand still.) The challenge will be meeting consumer and government demands at the same time.

"It's not actually a problem of available technology, but technology that the customer will be willing to pay for," said Sandy Stojkovski of Ricardo, Inc., an auto-parts supplier specializing in fuel-economy technology.

In the near term, diesel engines, which get much better fuel economy than gasoline engines, will probably play a large part. The challenge is getting consumers to accept that the modern diesel really is much better than the clanky, coughing, belching beast of the 1980s, the last time they were widely sold here in passenger vehicles.
    http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/12/auto...ion=2007121317

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 35 MPG Energy Bill Overwhelmingly Passes Senate, President to Sign

Everybody brace yourselves for more self-defeatist BS from Bob Lutz!!!

Let's see whats in the grab bag:

"It'll add $10,000 to the price of each car"

"Something to the effect of "RWD = bad MPG, expect more FWD"

"We didn't see this coming"

etc
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

ANT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

oh man is Zeta cancelled again? lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

...I'm picturing the w-body's old bones shaking in the electric chair, is had its last meal, given last rights by the chaplain, all the customers that have suffered at the wheel of one watching, eagerly awaiting the final, merciful jolt, only to get a last minute reprive by Lutz; the mad scrambling beancounters who have somehow found a way to convince Lutz that RWD = gas guzzler.

Of course, at the w-body's age, perhaps we should call Kervorkian.

Yes, I know I'm sick.
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

Thanks

Dont exagerate, as the owner of 2 previous and 1 current W body Grand Prixs, I have to disagree with your statement, they are good cars, but yes, they have been around for a long time, EPII is replacing the W body, that already has been said and done, before this was passed.

This is the part that ticks me off big time..

after Democratic leaders gave in to the president's demands that they preserve oil industry tax breaks and drop a requirement that utilities generate more electricity from cleaner sources. The bill now heads to the House, which is expected to approve it next week before Congress leaves for the holidays.

I really dont care about the requirement, I dont think that it's really the right way to go,but if 35 MPG is going to rammed down the publics throat, the consumers and the auto industry should not be the only ones to pay, while the oil companies continue to rake in record profits.

Way to give in, I am convinced that neither side really gives a crap about the average person.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MrMax's Avatar
    Thanks

If only it were April...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Dont exagerate, as the owner of 2 previous and 1 current W body Grand Prixs, I have to disagree with your statement, they are good cars, but yes, they have been around for a long time, EPII is replacing the W body, that already has been said and done, before this was passed...
    It depends on what an individuals definition of 'good car' is. I'm not above buying a current Impala for the right price; though I really dislike FWD, the current handful of (what I consider) affordable (i.e. $20-27K) RWD sedans don't do it for me. Maybe the G8 will overcome that, but after my GTO experience the bloom is off the rose with Holden products for me, plus its a bit out of my personal affordable range (starts at $28K IIRC, if it ever gets here). Frankly, I detest the current GP's, the Frankensteinish discontenuity of the interior desigh is too much, I could get over the exterior if it wasn't for that. Its a shame, too--I've been in plenty, & always marvel at how well they drive, but I think some of the proportions are outdated: the back seat is small, & the pillars are huge (as are most of GM's new cars these days, etc)

All just my opinion.
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    ...I really dont care about the requirement...
    ONe thing is for sure: If the tax breaks dry up, the oil companies will be happy to pass their extra cost of doing business on to us consumers, call me crazy but I don't see them all of the sudden sacrificing some portion of profit because a tax was raised.
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 asrapid's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope GM won't abandon and forget their V8 small block and new DOHC v8 engines.

Thanks

...Under these new rules we're talking about, 35 mpg would be the average for all vehicles produced by all manufacturers. Individual fuel economy goals for each car company would by set by NHTSA in such a way that the all the the vehicles sold by all manufacturers will average out to 35 mpg.

A simplified example: One car maker could have a NHTSA-required target of 31 mpg. Another car maker might have 36 mpg, and another would have 38. Average the three together, and you get 35 mpg...
    I think this portion of it is dangerous BS; they could concievably screw any manufacturer they want, depending on which way the wind is blowing. What if someone decides to go easier on Honda since they seemingly averaged higher than most, & harder on GM & Ford because of their big bad SUV's?

Gotcha!
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ANT View Post
    oh man is Zeta cancelled again? lol

Zeta cancelled! not to mention every other enthusiast car in the works!!!! the G8 is going to be a lone wolf in its segment!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 asrapid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1 View Post
    Zeta cancelled! not to mention every other enthusiast car in the works!!!! the G8 is going to be a lone wolf in its segment!
    there is still camaro on zeta..but maybe without V8..and don't forget new gen. corvette with big powerfull...I4 turbocharged ecotec

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information