Pontiac G8 'Pickup': "It's like a Camaro that'll carry two dirt bikes"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 'Pickup': "It's like a Camaro that'll carry two dirt bikes"

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,109 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Pontiac G8 'Pickup': "It's like a Camaro that'll carry two dirt bikes"

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*

Well, it's practically official. Sometime after the 2008 Pontiac G8 goes on sale next year, a truck-style utility will join the G8 family as kind of a throwback to the Chevy El Camino. Only Pontiac will get this version of the Australian-built Holden Commodore SS, so GMC is out of luck.

We saw an article recently about the latest personal fashion statement — a wristwatch that doesn't actually tell the time. The most Zen-like of the bunch we saw was the one that simply had "NOW" stamped on its face. The idea here is that a thing becomes more exclusive by not doing the job expected of it.

And there, pretty much explained, is the 2007 Holden VE Ute.

It's a pickup truck, only it doesn't have much payload. That's because this pickup is trying to imitate a sport sedan, and a sport sedan that also happens to be fast, sophisticated and highly acclaimed. And to wrap up the wrongness, this pickup is not only cheaper than its sport sedan sibling, it's also faster.

And this is also just a damn fast and fine-handling car. Next to the VE Commodore, the ute shows an amazingly similar ability to soak up smaller bumps within its otherwise firm ride. Only in faster going do the firm steering and suspension lack the subtlety of balance and feedback that makes the sedan such a standout.

There's less roll during cornering than in the sedan, but you feel the consequences because the suspension is more easily flustered by heavy hits to the wheels. With a surprising amount of initial suspension compliance and tire grip from the rear — even in damp corners, where the stability control only rarely cuts in — the ute feels more like an especially heavy sedan than a flighty buckboard-style truck.

Full article at link.

Last edited by JoeT; 11-23-2007 at 05:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CBECK's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pontiac G8 'Pickup': "It's like a Camaro that'll carry two dirt bikes"

Dumb move. It's a niche market. Why invest so much for a small return.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

It is a shame so many Americans (or at least on here) just don't get utes.

A single cab pickup with car fuel economy, performance, handling and looks that are different from anything else on the market.

It is being marketed as a full on work truck, so it makes sense that it goes to Pontiac instead of GMC. It also will give Pontiac three vehicles on the same platform which is what the new GM is all about.

Oh wait i forgot about all those people screaming about how Pontiac doesn't have much, well now it is getting very good vehicles and naturally you are screaming that you don't want anything.
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC sancapguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CBECK View Post

Not at all, The car is already produced down under and the nose cone is identical to the G8. Even if the sell 5k units. What are they out? The shipping from Australia? It gives the Pontiac Brand one more niche PERFORMANCE vehicle. They need all the help they can get.
    SANCAPGUY
    2009 Chevy Malibu
    2010 Mazda5
    1969 Mercury Monterey

Previous New GM's

2006 Silverado Hybrid
    (Now in Pieces at Kettering "GMI")

2002 Aztek (kiss my)
    2001 Alero
    1996 S-10

Previous
    1988 Alfa Spider
    1976 Buick SkyHawk
    1973 Centurion Convertible
    1986 Corvette (brass hat prototype)
    1984 Cadillac Deville (RWD)
    1983 Fuego
    1978 Honda Accord (rusted in half)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MrMax's Avatar
    Thanks

If they ship 2,000 utes stateside annually, I've got no problem with it. If they ship 10,000 a year, they're going to sit on lots with no buyers.

Then we'll have the same problem we just got rid of with the GTO.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

This is going to be one FUN ride!!

TKR
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

LHD engineering already done (Middle East exports / G8 Sedan) - check
    Badges already done (as per G8 sedan) - check
    dealer training done (as per G8 Sedan) - check

Where is all the additional cost you ramble on about?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Nothing new invested, the front clip from the G8 will work just fine. In fact it will spread the costs over a broader line, its more efficent. No excuse not to do it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 5.3Avalanche's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll give them 10/10 marks on concept and thinking outside of the box. BUT, I just don't find it attractive. As I side note, I love how the SSR looks, and the G8, but I just don't like this thing for some reason which seems to be a mix of those vehicles. Maybe after a testdrive I'll change my mind.

Something about how unbalanced it looks with the long box and low cab height. The SSR has more pleasing proportions and as I remember, even with the 6.0L V8 it didn't do well. But I'm not one to question the general, the more diverse the offerings, the happier everyone generally is. (unless your toyota where the more boring you offers the happier everyone generally is)

2008 Chevy Silverado Z60 | Borla Performance Dual Catback
    1998 Chevy Corvette | Z06 Ti Exhaust | C6 LS7 Clutch | Stage 1 transmission | C6 Z06 Shocks | C6 Z51 Sway bars | MGW Shifter with C6 Carbon Suede Knob | Vortex CAI | Window Valet |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuSpinnst View Post
    Literally it cost them nothing. So I don't get your comment.
    It will hurt them by damaging the brand image. The one thing Pontiac has going for them right now is non of their cars look bad. Which is important if they want to attract a young demographic. Getting a stupid ugly redneck car/truck isn't going to help them.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

The SSR was pretty expensive if IIRC where as one could assume the G8 Ute will be priced a lot closer to its sedan equivalent. I like how the SSR was styled like an old school hot rod but it didn't have the aggressive look of a hot rod, I personally think because it was too rounded, almost cartoonish. If Pontiac treats the Ute with similar attention to detail as they have the sedan, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to sell a reasonable number of them, well, unless the market just doesn't want them.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,224 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

good move in my book, im sure they wont bring too many of them over so it shouldnt be a problem to move them, i could see myself in one.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

We can't seriously be having the exact same thread for a 10th time can we?

PROS:
    It's unique in North America
    It's V8 RWD performance
    It can do more work than 75% of people use their current trucks for
    It's cheaper than the sedan
    It's ready to go and involes the most minimal investment
    It's a better buy than comparably competent small trucks
    It's a small dose of cafeine that Pontiac could use

CONS:
    It's not needed in North America
    The sedan is all the V8 RWD performance Pontiac needs (aside from a coupe)
    It is totally useless as a truck
    It's not a coupe
    It is a huge waste of development dollars
    It has to fail because the SSR did
    It is the end of Pontiac. Period.

So yeah, pretty polarizing. Hate to sound like a broken record, but since everyone else is...

Pontiac as it is isn't worth saving. There is currently one single car that fits what should be the true Pontiac mold (the Solstice). The only other ray of light is the G8 sedan. Every other Pontiac is bettered by Saturn's equivalent.

There will be no revised G5 or G6 for at least two years, which is plenty of time for Pontiac to fade into oblivion. There is also no hope for a GTO for at least two years either, as it doesn't even appear that they're seriously considering it yet. Buick needs two new sedans, Chevrolet needs a new Cobalt and Equinox, Cadillac needs a new large sedan, Hummer needs an H3 pickup and H4, Saab needs, well, a whole lineup, GM NEEDS to get the Volt / E-Flex into production yesterday... a Pontiac sports coupe to compete directly with the all-new Camaro isn't high on the priority list.

I say throw a Hail Mary with the Ute... if it fails, no big deal, Pontiac is pretty well cooked anyways... but if they can sell the number they import Pontiac will have cornered a cool little untapped market.
    Last edited by paul8488; 11-23-2007 at 01:53 PM.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

Pontiac is going to turn into a joke brand if this frickin G8 pickup car comes out over here.

Way to kill Pontiac GM... way to kill Pontiac.
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

Thanks

I don't understand all of the animosity for this vehicle. If you don't like it fine, but why is it every time the G8 ute gets a mention it seems as tho 90% of people start to say how stupid GM is and how they are just wasting their time and money blah blah blah. I am a high end landscaper and this would be the perfect vehicle for me. I drive over 1000 miles per week and gas has just about killed me this year. I had a 2007 Silverado but luckily a tree fell on it 5 weeks after i got it and got me out of the payment. This is the perfect vehicle for me and people like me. Something that I can get with a stick shift and haul my plants and has great fuel economy. When I need a bigger truck I just rent one for the day. I would have gotten a Colorado but the economy sucks as compared to my flex fuel s10 and when you compare the price of a decently equipped one to a Silverado it makes no sense, not at least until it gets a hefty update. It would have worked coming over as a GMC but it shares the same headlights as the G8. Its also not a real truck and too many people are already whining about the Acadia not being a BOF, so why give them another reason to moan. It looks like a Pontiac and performs like a Pontiac. Its unique. The engineering is paid for. What is there to lose? Nothing... What is there to gain? Sales. As soon as they start loading them on the ship im going in to my local dealer with a deposit to replace my nearly dead s10. I know plenty of others who have s10s that will be doing the same.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information