Nothing more '90s exists than Geo's Tracker concept vehicles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Nothing more '90s exists than Geo's Tracker concept vehicles

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,170 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Hemmings
    By Daniel Strohl
    Oct 28th, 2019

We all had an awkward period growing up. That period was the Nineties. Geo just happened to go through almost its entire existence during the decade and, not to dunk on the designers behind the brand's relatively few concept vehicles -- particularly its Tracker concept vehicles -- but it shows.

The few retrospectives on the Geo brand out there tend to assert that GM desperately wanted to capture the youth market by rebadging some small captive imports already in the Chevrolet lineup, introducing a few others, and giving them a "gee willikers, kiddos, these are 23-skidoo" makeover. While the marketers in charge of Geo eventually went that way, GM -- at least initially -- was a little more transparent about its intentions for Geo.

Take a look at the first couple years' worth of Geo television commercials, and you'll hear less radical/lifestyle wording and more name-checking of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and the other import companies then eating GM's lunch. GM needed a counterpunch, but it was apparently unwilling or unable to develop small cars after putting the Chevette to bed and didn't have a brand that resonated with the people buying imported small cars at the time. GM's answer reeked of the late Twenties: Introduce a blank-slate companion brand to compete.
    *Full Article at Link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (07-15-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 781 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Re: Nothing more '90s exists than Geo's Tracker concept vehicles

I have 1994 Geo Tracker at my Cabin.

Orange 2 Dr, removable Hard Top. I bought it as a 4 wheeler, and used it on the frozen lake to teach my kids how to drive. They could go where ever they wanted, just don't come to me if they got stuck. Well that backfired, I would get stuck with my GMT400 Plow Truck, and my son could drive right up beside me, and leave!

It still runs like a top!, but the body, well not so much. I am planning to turn it into a Tractor/Tracker. Just not sure how with limited resources at the Cabin. The Strut tower under the Battery is it's main defect, other than the floor pan being nonexistent

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 944 Posts

I guess it might be worth to mention that vintage ad aired in Quebec, Canada where the Tracker was sold in its early years by both Chevrolet and GMC in the Great White North.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (07-15-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 781 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    I guess it might be worth to mention that vintage ad aired in Quebec, Canada where the Tracker was sold in its early years by both Chevrolet and GMC in the Great White North.
    It was actually a

GMC Tracker/Chevrolet Tracker

Then

Asüna Sunrunner/ Geo Tracker

Then

Pontiac Sunrunner/ Chevrolet Tracker.

Then

Chevrolet Tracker

In the Great White North

All CAMI Built (but for early releases)

When the Geo Tracker was introduced in the United States, the Geo brand was not being sold in Canada. Because of this the Tracker was introduced there as both the Chevrolet Tracker and the GMC Tracker. The Chevrolet Tracker was sold at Chevrolet dealerships in Canada starting in 1989. Initially there were 3 models: a base convertible, base hardtop and a CL hardtop (CL is equivalent to the LSi in the Geo line). In 1990 a CL convertible was added to the line-up. 1991 was the last year for the Chevrolet Tracker as the Geo marque was brought to Canada in 1992 and all Chevrolet Trackers were renamed Geo Trackers, yet they continued to display the Chevrolet "Bow Tie" symbol on the front grille emblem until the end of production in 1998. All 1989–1990 Chevrolet Trackers were four-wheel drive. From 1991 on, the Geo Tracker sold in Canada was identical to its US counterpart. The GMC Tracker was also introduced for the 1989 model year to be sold at Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealerships in Canada. Just like the Chevrolet and Geo initially there were three models: base convertible, base hardtop and SLE hardtop (SLE being equipped the same as the CL and LSi of the other marques). In 1990 an SLE convertible was added to the lineup. 1991 was the last year for the GMC Tracker as GM introduced the Asüna marque in 1992 and the GMC Tracker was renamed the Asüna Sunrunner. The Sunrunner was marketed as more upmarket and had no base model, with all of the Sunrunners being equipped like the SLEs were. The Asüna brand did not last long though and after only two years (1992 and 1993) the Sunrunner was rebranded as a Pontiac. The Pontiac Sunrunner was sold in Canada from 1994 to 1998 in both base and top of the line GT trim. It was available in two- and four-wheel drive and in both convertible and hardtop body-styles. While the Geo Tracker was also sold as a four-door wagon beginning in 1996, the Sunrunner never got this body style. The Sunrunner was discontinued in 2000 and was replaced by the Aztek.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...ker_(Americas)

I disagree with the Aztek was a replacement. Pontiac Canada was the Guinea Pig for the Daewoo rebadge of Sub Compacts Pontiac Lemans. Simply Horrible cars then! CAMI did so much better job of Build Quality
    Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 07-16-2020 at 08:13 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to InCogKneeToe For This Useful Post:

Stéphane Dumas (08-15-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,382 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    It was actually a

GMC Tracker/Chevrolet Tracker

Then

Asüna Sunrunner/ Geo Tracker

Then

Pontiac Sunrunner/ Chevrolet Tracker.

Then

Chevrolet Tracker

In the Great White North

All CAMI Built (but for early releases)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...ker_(Americas)

I disagree with the Aztek was a replacement. Pontiac Canada was the Guinea Pig for the Daewoo rebadge of Sub Compacts Pontiac Lemans. Simply Horrible cars then! CAMI did so much better job of Build Quality
    and we had the Suzuki sidekick if you wanted "authentic imported" and for "extra flavour" a Lada Niva Cossack was available in the early years in Canada

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information