The Full Monte: Remembering Chevrolet’s personal luxury coupe on its 50th anniversary

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: The Full Monte: Remembering Chevrolet’s personal luxury coupe on its 50th anniversary

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 820 Posts

The Full Monte: Remembering Chevrolet’s personal luxury coupe on its 50th anniversary

Article about the 50th anniversary of the Monte Carlo posted on Hemmings blog.
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...h-anniversary/

By the late 1960s, the era of the Detroit Big Three personal luxury coupe was in full-swing. In September 1969, Chevrolet introduced its own take on the theme in the form of the Monte Carlo, a stylish two-door meant to go head-to-head with Ford’s Thunderbird. Though the Chevrolet Monte Carlo drove into the automotive sunset in 2007, the model soldiered on through six generations and 30 model years, a noteworthy achievement worth recognizing on the car’s golden anniversary.

The Monte Carlo wasn’t GM’s first attempt at a personal luxury coupe. Oldsmobile’s Toronado debuted in 1966, and Pontiac’s own Thunderbird-fighter, the Grand Prix, arrived for the 1969 model year. Chevrolet did what it could to distance the Monte Carlo from the offerings of other GM divisions, but both the Monte Carlo and the Grand Prix shared a 116-inch wheelbase A-body platform. The Chevrolet excelled in value, launching at a base price of $3,123, enough to undercut the Thunderbird by $1,838 and the Pontiac by $862.

Chevrolet sold the Monte Carlo on more than just price. In it own words, the coupe offered “Elegant prestige car styling… dramatically emphasized by the longest hood ever produced by Chevrolet; Rich front end look with bright precision-cast grille…; Premium-quality interior trim and appointments; Rich simulated wood burl accents on instrument panel and steering wheel; and Deep-twist carpeting on floors, lower door trim panels, and lower edge of front seat back.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (07-23-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 776 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Re: The Full Monte: Remembering Chevrolet’s personal luxury coupe on its 50th anniver

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    Article about the 50th anniversary of the Monte Carlo posted on Hemmings blog.
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...h-anniversary/
    I've always liked the Monte's... well up till the end, they got a little funky looking in the 2000's.

Just drug the 77 my grandfather bought new home after sitting at my other grandmother's house since 97. Going to need a bit of work to get it in top shape, but only has 90k miles still. Drained the tank, changed the bad fuel sender, and rebuilt the carb and it runs like a top now. A shame, the 305 runs soooo smoothly, but it's going to have to go for a twin-turbo LS. Gonna have to make this one really wicked to make it stand out.

The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (07-30-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Re: The Full Monte: Remembering Chevrolet’s personal luxury coupe on its 50th anniver

The handsome first generation probably sold more each year than all the coupes sold annually today. It's odd that so many people bought coupes at a time when there were more children per family and fewer people were unmarried or childless. My dad really wanted the first Regal for its styling in 1978 for his commuter car, but opted for the homely fastback 4 door Century, whose backseat was used once or twice.

I rode in a friend's parents' '71 a few times. That hood goes on forever from inside. I think I saw one or two without the vinyl roof. I wonder if they thought of the original Lincoln Continental when styling it.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Funny how automotive tastes have changed (for the worse IMO), everyone wanted coupes, from Mustangs to the large personal luxury coupes. We've gone from that to Trax's and RAV4's.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (07-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Funny how automotive tastes have changed (for the worse IMO), everyone wanted coupes, from Mustangs to the large personal luxury coupes. We've gone from that to Trax's and RAV4's.
    Agreed....Outside the Challenger, you have to be a millionaire to afford a Comfortable Large Coupe. There are no options this side of 50 grand for a mid/large near lux coupe.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 643 Posts

I loved my 1978 Monte, it was my Parent's, then after HS my Parents decided I needed to buy my Own Wheels, so I purchased a 1975 Nova Crotch Back. 2 month later they decided they no longer needed their 1978 Monte, so I sold my Nova and bought their Monte.

Black, with a Black Landau top, 305 2bbl and upgraded Wheel Covers. No options other than that not even AC. We install Cruise Cont.

My parent then had a 1983 Monte Loaded 305 4 bbl Wine colour. Awesome Car.

The Fender Arches where a thing of beauty, much like a Women's Hips.
    Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 07-23-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

First car was a 72 from Florida for $800....beat the crap out of that car and it kept coming back for more.

Between everyone in my family we have had a dozen Montes over the years.

Currently have a 71..lovin' every minute of it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

I don't know why it's said the Monte went head-to-head with Ford's Thunderbird when they each were in two different price classes.

And what happened to the Grand Prix, Wildcat, and Starfire being early personal-luxury coupes? And if a unique body is needed as part of the narrative, I think the Riviera came out before the Toronado.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information