2009.5 Brings 4-Cylinder G6 Coupe

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009.5 Brings 4-Cylinder G6 Coupe

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

www.gminsidenews.com
    November 4, 2008
    By: Nsap

In a time of uncertain gas prices and changing consumer demands with vehicles, one of the changes General Motors has made on the 2009.5 G6 engine selection actually makes sense. In the past the GT and GXP Coupe models were only available with V6 powertrains. The GT had the 3.5L OHV VVT V6, while the GXP had the well-known 3.6L High-Feature V6 and a six-speed automatic. It now appears that GT and GXP Coupe models will be joined by a "SE" model. Just the other day that cosmetic changes made to the 2009.5 G6 became known through an advertisement Pontiac had in this month's automotive magazines.

Starting with this "2009.5" model, G6 Coupe models will have the ECOTEC 2.4L VVT four-cylinder and a six-speed automatic standard. The engine produces 164 HP and 156 lb.-ft. of torque. This seems like a logical addition to the G6 Coupe line considering current market conditions. One has to ponder why GM did not have a four-cylinder coupe all along.

In addition to the new four-cylinder, the G6 line has a revised front fascia to better match it with its newer brothers; the G8 and Vibe. You'll note the new, square-ish grille and revised lower air damn. 2009.5 also brings all new switchgear to the G6; updating it to the same "Black-Tie" units that nearly all GM vehicles now use. The driver information center is no longer on the radio; new gauges have been installed with a traditional DIC location.

We anticipate the 2009.5 G6 to start showing up anytime. GM's online order guide has been updated to reflect the 2009.5 model and it is showing up in GM dealership's AutoBook.

Thanks to our source for info!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

Re: 2009.5 Brings 4-Cylinder G6 Coupe

Now let's see how overpriced it is.....
    Good thing that there is the I4 but what if they had put the 2.0 Turbo in it instead???
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 96_impala_ss's Avatar
    Thanks

Whats the estimated MPG on it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

BTW, did anyone else see the Pontiac ad in Motor Trend? The G6 there gets the good corporate radio and HVAC controls instead of the cheap ugly junk. Not sure if it's true but I sure hope so.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,979 Times in 975 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Good news for Pontiac dealers and G6 fans. The updates overall may have been modest, but appreciated.

However, the addition of a 4cyl/6speed autobox for the Coupe lineup is also very appreciated. It will lower the price and possibly move more metal out of showroom floors. The G6 Coupe is one of the nicer looking mid-sized 2-doors on the market and this should help.

Now if the JUST OFFERED A STICK SHIFT, I'd go and buy one. I guess a boy can only dream...
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Thanks

Ok pontiac is performance brand according to GM and nobody else. Now why dont they use 2.0 T from saab as a base engine and 2.0 DI from sky to replace crapy 3.5L. and 3.6 di to replace standard 3.6. and add 6-speed manual.Now that would improve g6 right away. It would be much different from malibu and aura. it just shows you how gm can not manage brands. Look they already have these engines why not use them?
    Last edited by Bokl; 11-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96_impala_ss View Post
    Whats the estimated MPG on it?
    probably the same 22 33 found in the sedan

Thanks

I've just had my Miss South Carolina moment - give the SEMA timing, I thought that "Brings" is a name of tuner or something, and I was hoping for a surprising combo of performance and frugality from a comissioned team of enthusiasts...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good idea.. just keep the price as low as possible! Cuz the G6 isnt gonna sell on design.
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Hunid Racks's Avatar
    Thanks

Would rather have this car than the G5. In fact wouldn't bother me to see the G5 go away.

But please don't have an "inspired" moment and give away hundreds on Oprah again.

We build excitement and being the pace car of the afternoon talk show cicuit don't go together.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    Good idea.. just keep the price as low as possible! Cuz the G6 isnt gonna sell on design.
    That's for sure.
    The new Taglane
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member igotzzoom's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

What would be really sweet is if the four was the new direct-injected 2.4 like they're talking about for the Equinox. With 210 hp, you could pretty much drop the base 3.5L.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
    What would be really sweet is if the four was the new direct-injected 2.4 like they're talking about for the Equinox. With 210 hp, you could pretty much drop the base 3.5L.
    That would be awesome. And it might make sense b/c the 3.5 is all but gone.
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 BUICK REGAL

I agree with adding the 4cyl coupe, but I wish it had more power and torque. As for MPG, I have an 06 GT Coupe, and I average 23 city, 30hwy. Guess it really depends on how you drive... So unless the cyl gets much better mpg, it really isn't worth it.

Also, I don't mind the new radio and DIC, but I wish they made the displays red to match the rest of the car. The new ones are going to look like Frankenstein, with parts borrowed from Chevy & other cars!

How hard could it be to give the radio and DIC a red display? The best thing about the current interior is the red dash and radio display. I've always been a fan of the red text on black background and feel that it is as much a signature of Pontiac as the twin grill!

And that the G8 and Vibe don't have that element is my biggest complaint about them.
    2017 Buick Regal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bokl View Post
    Ok pontiac is performance brand according to GM and nobody else. Now why dont they use 2.0 T from saab as a base engine and 2.0 DI from sky to replace crapy 3.5L. and 3.6 di to replace standard 3.6. and add 6-speed manual.Now that would improve g6 right away. It would be much different from malibu and aura. it just shows you how gm can not manage brands. Look they already have these engines why not use them?
    Saab's 2.0T is far more expensive to build than the Ecotec 2.4L and less efficient. Besides a small turbo engine in a large vehicle like G6 isn't going to get very good mileage. In the Cobalt SS it gets 30mpg. The 2.4L gets 33mpg in the bigger Malibu. The 3.5L has its place. Its cheaper to build than the 2.4L, runs on E85 and makes lots of torque, but the mileage penalty isn't huge. With a 6sp auto it would probably earn 30mpg. That said, the G6's engine lineup should be

2.3L DI Ecotec 200hp
    3.0L DI V6 250hp
    3.0T DI V6 350hp

Instead of using the 3.6DI and overlapping with Buick, just turbo the 3.0.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information