1982-’85 Buick Riviera convertible

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 1982-’85 Buick Riviera convertible

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 893 Posts

1982-’85 Buick Riviera convertible

Article from https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...a-convertible/

This unsung convertible from Flint is still a bargain
    Expensive and built in limited quantities, the 1982 Buick Riviera convertible was never meant to be a car for the masses. It may have ended up a footnote to automotive history, except for one thing: the luxury cruiser marked the first drop-top from GM since the 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible ushered out an era.

Each Riviera convertible began as a coupe before being shipped to American Sunroof Corporation for modifications that required 300 parts and 10 hours of labor to complete. The base engine was a 252-cu.in. V-6, rated at 125 horsepower and 205 pound-feet of torque, but buyers wanting more performance could opt for the 307-cu.in. V-8, rated at 140 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque.

Priced at $24,064, the ’82 Riviera convertible was nearly $10,000 more than a Riviera coupe. Initial production plans called for just 500 convertibles, but interest from dealers and consumers, jubilant about the return of an American luxury convertible, convinced Buick to build 1,248 examples.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (04-23-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Re: 1982-’85 Buick Riviera convertible

Wow, 24K seems cheap. I thought the 85 or 86 olds toranado I looked at back in the day was 21 or 22K, without a droptop. I rode in a 80 eldo at the time and just really liked the proportions of the triplets. I really really really wanted one, but it would have been super stupid to have bought one, so I saved a bit more and bought a house instead.

09W
    Thanks

^ You can live in a car, but you can't drive your house.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

There was a Buick dealer that lived near me, and the dealer's wife drove a gorgeous 1985 Riviera Convertible in White with White Top and Dark Red Leather and it had the Chromed Buick Aluminum Wheels, and the more contemporary integrated door mirrors, and it was a real "head turner" of an automobile! The dealership closed around 1986 and they moved the car to their second residence, a condo in Florida. The '82 to '85 Riviera Convertibles were also offered in dark red metallic with the White Top and Dark Red Leather Interior. Some featured the more contemporary integrated door mirrors around '84 and '85. These were well made and drove great, too. All of the '82 thru '85 Riviera Convertibles are collectible (if preserved and not worn out)! It would be great if GM would again produce at least one Convertible with a spacious rear seat--preferably a Cadillac.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,667 Times in 2,379 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    ^ You can live in a car, but you can't drive your house.
    That's why the make Motorhomes.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information