What could have and should have been

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: What could have and should have been

Walking
    Thanks

What could have and should have been

Dear GM,
    First off I have to say I am a dedicated GM fan and will only buy GM even know you havent always produced the best products. I am so dedicated to GM (really Chevrolet and Cadillac) that when in the market for a new car which had to be a 4 door, V8, Chevy or Cadillac I chose a 2006 Impala SS. Despite this car having very few options in the aftermarket and not being able to handle the aftermarket upgrades without dying I still decided to buy the car. Why? Because I will only buy GM products as well as my whole family who only buys GM products. My older brother owns a 04 Tahoe, my mom owns a 04 Suburban, my dad owns a 02 Silverado, and I have my Impala and my dead 02 Monte Carlo SS. So GM I have been loyal to you over the years and before I was the age to start thinking of buying cars my father owned tons of muscle cars GM manufactured of course. You have many loyal customers (many that are members of GMI) that love they new the new mind set of GM but are just wondering what happened to your balls?

Chevrolet
    No more stupid names that mean nothing (Cruze, Cobalt, Spark, Aveo, Orlando) and enough of all these silly little cars that step on each others toes. Why not draw on you heritage one thing that you have over most automakers and have your lineup be mostly RWD. Yeah I know the RWD argument that they are gas guzzlers and are horrible in the snow. But neither of these statements is true. Have the Cruze which in my perfect world would be the Nova and the Traverse which could be whatever be your FWD cars. And if your scared of the snow buy a Tahoe or Suburban for 4WD. Now onto what should have been. Most of these cars already exist and are made by GM. So heres the cars that should restore the heritage that GM has created Holden Caprice should be the next Impala, Holden Comodore/G8/Lumina should be the next Malibu with UTE being the El Camino and Wagon being the Nomad, Holden 60 Coupe concept should be the next Monte Carlo/Chevelle this would be for the people who want a coupe but feel the Camaro is to small, then put the next Camaro on the Alpha platform to make it less of a pig and distance it from the Monte Carlo, and finally finish off the lineup with the Corvette built on the new platform whatever it will be called.

BUICK
    Then Buick could build the Lacrosse on the same Caprice platform as the Impala, Put the Regal on the same platform as the Monte Carlo, then keep your CUV the same as the Traverse and have a FWD small car like the Cruze (which I cant think of a name for.) Like I said I am more of a Caddilac/Chevy guy.

Cadillac
    Ummm ATS (looks good so far), CTS (personal favorite GM car ever next to a 64 Impala SS), Escalade (Boo! Why do I want to pay 15 G's extra for a Tahoe with more chrome) Build a SUV that competes with Range Rover. And finally the XTS It looks Ok but why not build this on the same Caprice Platform. Finally build a super car that doesnt bow to the Corvette that can spank on everyone but carrys a heftly price tag. Then you have the Corvette as a everymans super car then have ummm lets call it the XLR as the Cadillac Super Car that spits in Bugatti's face. Yeah these cars could all be named after (El Dorado, Seville, Deville, Ect.) but Cadillac needs to be taking aim at the Germans and Italians who mostly use numbers and letters for there products.

And as for GMC well lets just use all the GMC resources for the Chevy Trucks. And kick GMC to the curb. And this would leave Cadillac to compete with the big boys, Buick to spank on the not so big boys, and Chevy for everyone else. And GM would have to make all these cars on the same platform look very different interior and exterior. I know this will not happen in a million years but it kills me that most of these cars already exist and I will never be able to get my grubby hands on them. It also sucks that GM is now chasing everyone and not running ***** like they should. Who cares about the people who have bad perceptions of RWD cars since they probably never drove GM cars to begin with and probably never will.
    Last edited by civilzues; 03-31-2010 at 07:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What could have and should have been

It sounds like you are going to fit in very well here...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Ok, I agree with some of your points, and I'll give you Aveo and Cruze, but do you think that Spark, Orlando and Cobalt don't mean anything?

Also, I don't see how GM's platform sharing has resulted in cars with identical exteriors and interiors.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Chevy, please listen to your customers like myself who LIKE & WANT FWD cars from you and who have spent our hard-earned money on them.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    Chevy, please listen to your customers like myself who LIKE & WANT FWD cars from you and who have spent our hard-earned money on them.
    Will you not rest until everything GM makes is FWD? For Pete's sake, every Chevrolet and Buick car save Corvette and Camaro are FWD.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Ok, I agree with some of your points, and I'll give you Aveo and Cruze, but do you think that Spark, Orlando and Cobalt don't mean anything?

Also, I don't see how GM's platform sharing has resulted in cars with identical exteriors and interiors.
    I just meant the name doesnt carry the heritage that Impala,Camaro, Corvette ect. carry.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AwisselSS View Post
    I just meant the name doesnt carry the heritage that Impala,Camaro, Corvette ect. carry.
    OK, true, but what FWD compact deserves a heritage name? At least Chevy still gives cars names and not alphanumeric codes.

Walking
    Thanks

At the age of 23 I currently own a 2002 Monte Carlo SS and a 2006 Impala SS both W-Body FWD vehicles that are poop. I mean everyone has there own opinion but we all see where GM making FWD vehicles have got them.

Thanks

Why do you like FWD so much? Would an RWD with an AWD option satisfy your needs? Note I'm not trying to be critical just trying to understand. I like the same types of cars you do mostly, just can't stand torque steer, wheel vibration, and the general lack of smoothness from FWD.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

Walking
    Thanks

I fogot to say that all the RWD vehicles mentioned should have the AWD option. Also at first they could be released pretty much as rebaged Holdens except for the Monte having its trade mark rear lights with the Monte Carlo emblem in front and the Impala could have the circle lights in the back. Then once everyone loved them which they would they could give them all retro hints similar to the Camaro. But I know this is kinda gay but I thought of the commerical to reveal them to the public...Now just follow me ...it starts with the skyline of Detroit mainly focusing on the GM building and the opening chords of ACDC's "Back in Black" begin dun... dun dun... And a Camaro comes peeling tire around a corner and then there is a glimpse of each car zooming past its competiters while there drivers just stare then the whole group (Camaro, Impala, Monte Carlo, Nomad, Nova, El Camino) all in black of course all meet up with the announcer saying "may the best car win or whatever" ...I just got chills how bout you?

Thanks

I fogot to say that all the RWD vehicles mentioned should have the AWD option. Also at first they could be released pretty much as rebaged Holdens except for the Monte having its trade mark rear lights with the Monte Carlo emblem in front and the Impala could have the circle lights in the back. Then once everyone loved them which they would they could give them all retro hints similar to the Camaro. But I know this is kinda gay but I thought of the commerical to reveal them to the public...Now just follow me ...it starts with the skyline of Detroit mainly focusing on the GM building and the opening chords of ACDC's "Back in Black" begin dun... dun dun... And a Camaro comes peeling tire around a corner and then there is a glimpse of each car zooming past its competiters while there drivers just stare then the whole group (Camaro, Impala, Monte Carlo, Nomad, Nova, El Camino) all in black of course all meet up with the announcer saying "may the best car win or whatever" ...I just got chills how bout you?
    That sounds like an amazing commercial. I dont think GMC will ever go away though. As long as there is a market for trucks there will be GMC.
    Current:
    2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7 Reserve AWD

Former:
    2002 Ford Explorer Xlt V8 4x4
    2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4
    2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
    2011 Chevy Cruze LT
    2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    2016 Lincoln MKZ AWD

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Will you not rest until everything GM makes is FWD?

Will folks who keep proposing that GM abandon largish FWD not rest from doing that mess? THAT'S the question. All I ask GM to do is to KEEP making the FWDs that they ALREADY do.

[quote]
    At the age of 23 I currently own a 2002 Monte Carlo SS and a 2006 Impala SS both W-Body FWD vehicles that are poop.

Why did you buy them if they are such "poop"?

I mean everyone has there own opinion

Yes, and in mine, RWD Holdens are poop.

but we all see where GM making FWD vehicles have got them.

This is not even worth replying to.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    Why do you like FWD so much?

Because it's simple. It's honest. It's rugged. It's versatile. It's earned it's stripes and is the backbone of the modern auto industry. I like the way it feels and drives, and nothing to me beats the way a big V8 FWD drives. Big V8 FWD is an art that GM has MASTERED!

Would an RWD with an AWD option satisfy your needs?

NO. I can't stand AWD, but i'll take FWD-based AWD if I can't get FWD on a car I want, but I'd still prefer it to be FWD! The only RWD vehicles I'm interested in these days are American classics, trucks, and the new Camaros, Challangers, and Mustangs. My first 2 requierements for buying a new non-truck vehicle these days are that it be big, and that it be FWD!

Note I'm not trying to be critical just trying to understand.

Okay.

I like the same types of cars you do mostly, just can't stand torque steer, wheel vibration, and the general lack of smoothness from FWD.

Well I repeat, I love the way FWD cars drive and feel.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks

No more stupid names that mean nothing (Cruze, Cobalt, Spark, Aveo, Orlando) and enough of all these silly little cars that step on each others toes.
    You see no place for them, because you have no need for them...others do.

A Spark and Aveo is too small for me, and a Cruze is boarderline (if they had a wagon, it would work). The Orlando is perfect, size wise thou. Buddy of mine, the Orlando is a bit to much, so he opts for a Cruze size vehicle. His wife, likes the Spark/Aveo size. My wife likes and needs a CUV size/style vehicle. My folks go for mini-vans. My boss, loves performance sedans. My neighbor loves CUV's also, but the guy beside him has to have a pick-up truck........see what I'm getting at

You don't see the need....but then again, you don't work for a major automotive company at the corporate level to really know what people need. Your perception is a microcasim of your own needs and wants, not what is best for a car company, or what caters to the majority of the buying public. If RWD was what everyone wanted, BMW would have taken over the world years ago.

What there was no need for, and it has been corrected for the most part was the same car under multiple brands. That was useless. As for the cars being offered by Chevy now, they IMO have their place with the buying public, and they are doing a great job of covering the segments appropriately

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by alex725 View Post
    That sounds like an amazing commercial.
    *nods*

I agree.

Aw ... I like most of your ideas, except for some of the names. You mentioned that some of them mean nothing, but I think that is just because they haven't been around long enough to develop a "classic" feel to them ... if that makes any sense.

I'd much prefer newer names like Cruze, etc., be used on FWD cars, rather than heritage names....

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker
    MCs.Caprice|models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows|RTs.us6 6 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
    "What did I do?" ... Ty Herndon ... 'What Mattered Most'

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,440 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I take it Oldguy is spouting off to build more FWD cars? lol

As long as GM has one RWD sedan (that is moderately priced, not like the CTS), I will be happy.

Overall, not bad suggestions. Killing GMC would be pretty stupid as its now starting to come into its own where its not a direct rebadge of Chevy. Give it 5 years and it will be a very viable and even more profitable brand than it is now.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information