Next gen 8100 V8 - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next gen 8100 V8

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,136 Times in 2,642 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Both GM and Ford now realise that their HD truck gas engines must have
    sufficient capacity to remain fuel efficient while towing or hauling loads,
    it's the opposite to what the 1500 trucks need to meet CAFE.

Spammer only got two lines from me because that's all it deserved
    to restart your thread. I wouldn't be holding out for a +8 litre gas engine
    I just don't see the the accounts supporting it. Would be nice to see though.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-18-2020 at 09:40 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Next gen 8100 V8

I think the justification for a 8L+ GM V-8 lies with Navistar. There just may be a business case for such an engine if it has an application in larger medium duty trucks, particularly if the engine is adaptable to gaseous fuels like LNG and CNG. The PSI 8.8L has been a great success in Navistar's IC buses in both gasoline and LPG versions, and Frightliner now offers it in both school bus and medium trucks. I think it has been interesting that Navistar has not offered the PSI 8.8L in International trucks yet. There were rumors that both Navistar and PSI were collaborating with GM on a large displacement V-8, but I have not heard much about it lately.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC KingElv!s's Avatar
    Thanks

They just got to 400 cubes man. Savor it for a while. Let it sink in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 788 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra12 View Post
    I think the justification for a 8L+ GM V-8 lies with Navistar. There just may be a business case for such an engine if it has an application in larger medium duty trucks, particularly if the engine is adaptable to gaseous fuels like LNG and CNG. The PSI 8.8L has been a great success in Navistar's IC buses in both gasoline and LPG versions, and Frightliner now offers it in both school bus and medium trucks. I think it has been interesting that Navistar has not offered the PSI 8.8L in International trucks yet. There were rumors that both Navistar and PSI were collaborating with GM on a large displacement V-8, but I have not heard much about it lately.
    The initial costs of a Emission Friendly Diesel, added to the Extra Costs of Maintaining the Emission Friendly Diesel, then the worst Costs of All, the Costs of Down Time of that Emission Friendly Diesel. Have in fact forced many Bus/Med. Duty users to Gasoline engines. I have seen this in Cutaways, F350-F550 CC, School Busses/Stripped Chassis.

The Fleet Customers that have switched are loving the change. To the point that some have even replaced their personal Diesel Super Duties, with 7.3L Gas engine models.

There was a time when Diesel Work vehicles made financial sense, but EPA and HP Wars have deleted that.

So for GM/Navistar to Not Offer a Gasoline Option in their Class 5 Trucks, is suicide. PSI has one and a working relationship with Navistar, GM either better have one close to announcement, or Kiss A$$ and sign PSI also. Or the Whole Class 5 Come Back, will be the same outcome as the last Class 5 adventure of GM's.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to InCogKneeToe For This Useful Post:

Sierra12 (06-18-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ford definitely needed to replace their 6.8L V-10, and the new 7.3L looks a lot better. I have seen some things inside the 7.3L that look a little questionable, but I'll reserve judgement until we see how well the thing does. I think if Ford had made the 7.3L a bit larger they could have found a market for it with other commercial truck OEM's that don't offer a gasoline or CNG/LNG engine, but for now it looks like PSI has that business to themselves.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information