Lame option packages

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Lame option packages

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Lame option packages

I think we all agree that the Colorado and Canyon need an update, probably something similar to the Aussie version with a new, cleaner front end and more fuel efficient engines. It doesn't need to be ground breaking, but it does need to be able to save fuel over a full sizer while offering good, attractive options.

What I don't understand now is the option packages.

-You can no longer get the Z71 package with the manual transmisson
    -You can no longer get the 5 cylinder with the manual transmission
    -you can no longer get higher trim levels with the manual transmission
    -You can no longer get the audio package w/XM with the manual transmission (requires sun and sound)
    -You can no longer get the nicer seats and interior trim with the manual transmission (b/c they require the auto only LT package)

I better not hear GM complain that take rates on manuals are dropping! Fuel prices are going up, and smaller and mid sized trucks are going to replace full sizers in suburban driveways. GM is not prepared. GM can't justify cost to save this truck....well, it hasn't spend much in this segment at all, seeing as how Isuzu did most of the development on this truck and the S10 dated back to 1984. Since the intro of the colorado/canyon, GM has spent most of its time making the truck LESS APPEALING by eliminating option packages and creating weird rules with the manual transmissions not being available on any desirable truck. GM should spend some money in this segment for a change like Nissan, Dodge, Toyota, and even Honda.

Many options that should be standard are "a la carte", including side airbags.
    Competitors offer 5 speed automatics and manuals across the line when the Colrorado offers neither. Good luck trying to buy one to save gas.
    Tow hooks are optional, where they are standard on most Silverados and Japanese trucks.
    Non-Z71 wheels are lame and haven't been changed since introduction.
    There is no autotrac transfer case available at any model or trim level.
    What's with those crummy tires?
    There are no optional 16" wheels like on the Ranger.

And another problem: Prices are about $2500 higher than a similarly equipped Ranger, and lower end Colorados can't be optioned out with appealing options that can be had on the Tacoma or Ranger.
    Fuel economy is pretty weak, yet towing capacity is low. GM should offer manual transmissions across the line and a small diesel that is used in the rest of the world in the exact same truck.

GM isn't even trying. Do they want to lose sales?
    Last edited by member12; 03-11-2008 at 02:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Lame option packages

I hate it when you can't get options due to the manual trans
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Thanks

I've been saying if GM spent half the time and money on the Colorado that they did on the Silverado, GM would make the best small pickup on the market! I am a huge fan of small trucks! The Ranger is one of my top all time favorite vehicles! And I wish GM had a truck half of cool as the Ranger, and thats not saying mych because the Ranger has been nearly the same since 1994! But as gas prices go up more people will start going to the small pickups and I think GM will rise to the occasion! I would love to see 6-speed manuals/6-speed autos offered across the board. A cool/real Off-Road pkg! A higher HP engine, DI 3.6 mabey. A more upscale interior, and seats that dont set on the floor-board!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

^^^ I'd absolutely love a redesigned Canyon with the 3.6L DI in it.

As for option packages, I think Cadillac's is pretty confusing. I built a CTS for fun the other day and was bewildered by "Luxury Package 1" and "Luxury Package 2" and "Luxury Package with Built-In Espresso Machine..."
    Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 03-13-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

I guess being small in stature means I like a vehicle that fits my own size! I too love small trucks and sometimes regret never having bought one. For a while I thought of buying one as a 2nd vehicle, but I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money.

But I wish they'd make them SMALL like "back in the day". A few days ago I was behind a Titan, with a Frontier riding next to it. The Frontier is like 7/8ths the size of a Titan. No wonder "compact" pickup sales are in the toilet. They cost as much to buy as a fullsize, get hardly any better MPG, and don't offer the room, versatility, or towing of a fullsize truck.

My ultimate personal pick'emup would be: A crew-cab model based on a pickup the size of an 80s Toyota Pickup (Hilux). I want it rugged looking. Black bumpers. Big beefy steel or alloy wheels with an interesting design. No body addenda. No step rail. No roof rack. No rollover bar. No huge moulding around the tailgate handle. And, please, what is the point of a locking tailgate, when few buyers will opt for a bed cover or canopy?

I'm a cheapskate to I'll forego 4WD for cost and MPG reasons. Plus I don't need 4WD. I want a punchy, yet torquey, economical high-capacity four-cylinder Diesel lump under the hood. I want an automatic 'box. Cuz I'm getting old and I hate clutching in traffic.

Inside, I want modern touches like power windows and cruise, but I want the interior rugged and functional-feeling. Since it's used as a car, I want carpeting, but I want some tough industrial-flooring type of carpet. Ditto the upholstery. Cloth for breathability, but made of some stuff that's used for like Space Shuttle parachutes or some such rugged application.

Guess I can keep on' wishin!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bouda's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    I hate it when you can't get options due to the manual trans

Thank you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    ^^^ I'd absolutely love a redesigned Canyon with the 3.6L DI in it.

As for option packages, I think Cadillac's is pretty confusing. I built a CTS for fun the other day and was bewildered by "Luxury Package 1" and "Luxury Package 2" and "Luxury Package with Built-In Expresso Machine..."
    That would work. They already have a powerful four banger for me...hopefully they can get 25mpg out of one. I'd like to see the 3.0L turbodiesel from the aussie holden Rodeo. Hell, the front end and wheel options from that truck would be an improvement provided GM can keep the Z71 fenders and mud guards as optional. I'd like to see a small diesel be able to reach 30 mpg in a Colorado 4x4 when paired to a stick shift. It's a colorado, it doesn't need to pull 8,000 lbs (not until full size pickups disapear anyways). It does need to be able to move residential sized equipment around (lumber, boat, race car, hay, ATVs...not all at the same time) without overheating or breaking. It's got to be tough as nails, but it can't be overweight. Since full size trucks are going to be less popular, the Colorado has to be built to a different standard....it has to be "unbreakable" in the since that some people are going to go beyond it's capabilities.

It's time to understand that "small car" options are going to have to be available on fancier models. Because of fuel economy, you should be able to get a four cylinder manual transmission with XM radio, leather seats, CD changer and power everything. Because it's a truck, people will need to get the uplevel engine paired with the manual too. GM has the right idea finally with the new Malibu (though a manual would be nice, you can now get a 4 cylinder LTZ with leather and what not), but those options are probably even more important to Colorado and Canyon buyers than mid sized sedan buyers. Loaded up, high quality Colorados are going to replace Silverados as fuel prices creep up. Just because people are stepping down in size for added fuel efficiency doesn't mean they want to sacrifice options or quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr6LO1RGYiI -mute it...the testers are annoying, but it does show the new Holden truck. That exact truck with an autotrac transfer case and the new GM switchgear would work here. Give us that 3.0L diesel and 6 speed! It also has the 3.6L engine and a small four banger (but I think the colorado's 4 banger is plenty good). Keep the front end for a cleaner look. It's bland, but so is the Ranger and Frontier.
    Last edited by member12; 03-12-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks

Well not to worry because you can't get a stick with a v-8 gasser
    in a full sizer either........................

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    Well not to worry because you can't get a stick with a v-8 gasser
    in a full sizer either........................
    You should be able to. Hopefully when the 4.5Ls debut, we can see a 6 speed manual.

Thanks

Sheesh.........NOBODY buys them.......Why bother?

The diesel is gonna be another mistake!

GM and others had quite a few diesel cars and trucks in the 80s
    ie: GM full size sedans, Olds Cutlass, Chevette, S-10, Chevy Luv,
    and a few more!
    Ford also had several Remember the Lincoln Mark with the BMW diesel
    with a stick?
    Not forgetting the pacific rim imports that had diesels in both cars and
    trucks.........................

NOBODY bought them ! Think the automakers are gonna make the same
    expensive mistake again????????

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,356 Posts

Think the main reason for the high cost of the Colorado can be traced to the ďAtlasĒ engine line 2.9 I-4, 3.7 I-5 and 4.2L I-6.

Donít get me wrong the Atlas engines are good and I like the 4.2L I-6 but it should have been the base GMT800 engine years ago Ė it isnít and wonít be so GM needs to move on and start changing the Colorado engine lineup to what it will be in the future.

The 2.4L should be the new base engine and GM can start be taking the Solstice/Sky power trains and installing them into the Colorado/Canyon starting with the 2.4L with 5-speed manual with 5-Speed Automatic optional with all options available with either transmission and a sport truck package with 16Ē Alloy wheels, Fog Lights, and iPod/MP3 ready Pioneer Stereo, it would come with base suspension leaving the buyer to choose if they want to modify it.

GM can bring back the Xtreme package with 260 HP 2.0L Turbo again with 5-speed Manual or Automatic transmission options and a lowered suspension with HHR SS 6-way power sport seats available in all three configurations: Regular Cab, Extended Cab and Crew.

The 3.7L I-5 will stay on until GM can replace it with either the E-85 capable 3900 240 HP V6 or the 3.6L 275 HP from the Lambda for ZQ8 and Z71 option packages with HHR LT 8-way power seat as an option.

Top engine would be the 5.3L V8 for LT and SS models again in all body styles with GMT900 10 way heated leather seats as an option.

The Colorado/Canyon need at minimum new grilles and upgraded seats which can be shared with other GM products as noted above. Not sure when the new Brazilian designed Colorado/Canyon are going to be introduced, they need new front ends and interiors, depends on the new designs timeline on whether this is worth it or not.

Thanks

GM's option packages are ridiculous. A base Cobalt or G5 can not be had with a cruise control without increasing the price about $4,000. And then they don't have the cars on the lot. DO they still think people are stupid? They just drive you over to the Japanese who make better cars anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    GM's option packages are ridiculous. A base Cobalt or G5 can not be had with a cruise control without increasing the price about $4,000. And then they don't have the cars on the lot. DO they still think people are stupid? They just drive you over to the Japanese who make better cars anyway.
    Now that is dealer responsibility (or lack of). If they want to sell a bunch of high dollar trucks, or if they want to sell the new car that everyone is talking about, then they should be required to take with manual transmissions into their inventory. People will buy them if they know the choices are there.

Unless you want a silver Cobalt LS with an auto transmission, you are SOL because that's all dealers stock. There are too many choices other than Chevrolet to make the dealerships so dissapointing.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information