GM: Steadily Improving, One Car At a Time

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM: Steadily Improving, One Car At a Time

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

GM: Steadily Improving, One Car At a Time

If the GM boys really do nose around here I hope they read this.

First off, I'd just like to say thank you to the powers that be for giving us the Camaro back. It's been one of my dream cars for 20 years, and the chance to make that dream a reality is something I thought I'd never have again. Please, take your time and get it right. I'm OK with waiting 2 years or so. I'm not OK with you half-assing it and rushing it to market riddled with problems. So get it right. You have no room for error.

Second, your other cars have been improving steadily over the last several years. The new Impala, while basically a stopgap car, is a good stopgap car at least. The new Saturn Aura is a really nice piece of machinery. The Kappa twins are phenomenal little roadsters. The new SUVs and full-sizers are top-shelf. However, I think you should do something to prevent backsliding into your old ways (as large companies are want to do once they think they're out of danger)

Find yourself a late-model J-body--a 2000+ Cavalier or Sunfire. Park it in your lobby in Detroit. (I have such a vehicle, if you're interested in taking me up on my idea--send me a PM, make me a deal!). Put it there to remind yourselves of what your company USED to be known for--cheaply-built, poorly-designed cars designed by committee and built by accountants. For added effect, cover the hood in black spray paint with the words "NEVER AGAIN", to really hammer the point home.

Your engineers walk in every day and see that pile of junk and they'll say to themselves "No way am I going to be responsible for something like THAT! I want to design a GOOD car!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: GM: Steadily Improving, One Car At a Time

I agree and I like your idea! Do it GM!

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

I agree that GM has finally seen the light. I've been hearing "wait till next year" for 20 years, and I think next year has finally arrived. My worry is that with steadily improving cars and the major redo with the 900's that the Colorado is going to get lost in the shuffle. I think this segment has potential for growth with gas prices softening sales for full size pickups. A lot of people still need or want pickups, they have just realized they don't need a fullsize. GM should put their best effort forth on this segment rather than ceding it to the Japanese and then trying to make a comeback later.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC NationsKappatol's Avatar
    Thanks

this is the best post I have ever read, ever
    Dated an '89 2.8 Celebrity
    Married an '06 Pure Solstice

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

You're obviously new around here. I'm not very good with words.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jwrebholz
    You're obviously new around here. I'm not very good with words.
    Rats! I thought he was talking to me.

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1
    Rats! I thought he was talking to me.
    LOL

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

GMI Staff Member Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwrebholz
    If the GM boys really do nose around here I hope they read this.

First off, I'd just like to say thank you to the powers that be for giving us the Camaro back. It's been one of my dream cars for 20 years, and the chance to make that dream a reality is something I thought I'd never have again. Please, take your time and get it right. I'm OK with waiting 2 years or so. I'm not OK with you half-assing it and rushing it to market riddled with problems. So get it right. You have no room for error.

Second, your other cars have been improving steadily over the last several years. The new Impala, while basically a stopgap car, is a good stopgap car at least. The new Saturn Aura is a really nice piece of machinery. The Kappa twins are phenomenal little roadsters. The new SUVs and full-sizers are top-shelf. However, I think you should do something to prevent backsliding into your old ways (as large companies are want to do once they think they're out of danger)

Find yourself a late-model J-body--a 2000+ Cavalier or Sunfire. Park it in your lobby in Detroit. (I have such a vehicle, if you're interested in taking me up on my idea--send me a PM, make me a deal!). Put it there to remind yourselves of what your company USED to be known for--cheaply-built, poorly-designed cars designed by committee and built by accountants. For added effect, cover the hood in black spray paint with the words "NEVER AGAIN", to really hammer the point home.

Your engineers walk in every day and see that pile of junk and they'll say to themselves "No way am I going to be responsible for something like THAT! I want to design a GOOD car!"
    AMEN!

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

GM's older products weren't necessarily bad, like the original 1996 Cavalier. They just stayed around to long thereby becoming old and poor in design.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information