Wide difference in headlines about Buick crossover

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide difference in headlines about Buick crossover

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Wide difference in headlines about Buick crossover

We've seen countless examples of how different media outlets "slant" news stories about GM. Their wording of one of the latest headlines, dealing with Buick cancelling what most people considered a "rebadge" of a Saturn Vue crossover, ranged from, in my opinion, simply factual to misleading to insulting. The careless way some of the headlines were written may confuse the public; little, subtle differences in one headline compared to another give very differing impressions.

Here are some sample headlines:

"GM Kills Planned Buick Crossover"
    -Wall St. Journal

"GM cancels "Hideous' Buick SUV After Would-Be Customers Twitter"
    -Bloomberg

"GM Kills Rebadged Buick Compact Crossover, Including Plug-In..."
    -Edmunds.com/Inside Line

"GM cancels ugly new Buick SUV. What a concept!"
    -Daily Finance

"General Motors kills planned Buick plug-in hybrid"
    -USA Today

"GM Cuts Juice On 'Hideous' Buick Crossover"
    -mediapost.com

"GM cancels Buick hybrid plans"
    -TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk

"US: GM cancels 2011 Buick PHEV"
    -Automotive World

"Buick kills crossover that drew jeers"
    -Detroit Free Press

"Reaction was 'universally negative' to Buick's 'Vue'"
    -DailyTech

"GM cancels Buick compact crossover"
    -Forbes

"GM Kills New Buick Before It Is Born"
    -24/7 Wall St.

"Struck by criticism, GM kills Buick SUV"
    -Globe and Mail

"GM listens, quickly kills new Buick"
    -Detroit News

"GM drops new Buick SUV due to lack of interest"
    -Reuters
    B U I C K
    My kind of luxury

During a presentation to investors and financial analysts in October 2014, GM President Dan Ammann said, "We talk much less than we should, frankly, when we talk about Buick and GMC," and called them "huge profit contributors." "We will be investing significantly in these brands to continue the momentum they have," Ammann promised.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Wide difference in headlines about Buick crossover

No surprise the press is befuddled. New GM is trying to demonstrate they are quickly making decisions, unlike the old bureaucratic GM. But ultimately the public doesn't care about GM not building a particular vehicle.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

This would kill websites like GMI, but if I were Fritz I'd issue an edict effective immediately to everyone in the corporation to SHUT UP.

I know Fritz has been part of this whole thing. And they probably think that since GM got so much public money that they owe that public at least some information.

But Lord-On-High, even being honest is self-defeating!

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Roger Penske put the brakes on the Buick. If it shared all that sheetmetal with the Vue, the same Vue he plans to buy from GM for the next few years and to continue selling as a Saturn, he would be understandably upset. It's just me, but I think something like this had more to do with the Buicks cancellation rather than all those people that said they didn't like it.

I thought that GM had designed specific sheetmatal and interior for the Buick version but I find I was wrong about that.

And, if it was that bad a design why wasn't it killed before it became the Captiva/Antara/ Vue? The press and public seemed to love it when it was first shown a few years ago. Now, suddenly, it's terrible?

Things like this are going on at automakers all over the world EVERY DAY. The difference: We never hear about it. Products are evaluated, designed, redesigned, tested, then redesigned again, then cancelled, then reinstated but with differences...etc. etc. etc. all the bloody-time. But it seems only GM wears the label of "Mismanaged by morons".

Last edited by megeebee; 08-20-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

The only headline I disagree with is this one:
    "GM cancels Buick hybrid plans"
    Just because the Buick PHEV was cancelled doesn't mean that a hybrid wouldn't appear in the future.

But for most of the headlines, they should have been clearer on which planned CUV was canned - the Gamma or the Theta.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 624 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    And, if it was that bad a design why wasn't it killed before it became the Captiva/Antara/ Vue? The press and public seemed to love it when it was first shown a few years ago. Now, suddenly, it's terrible?

I think the issue here, my issue anyway, isn't that it was a bad design, but that it doesn't fit Buick in that the shape of it isn't in keeping with Buick's new direction, either in style or mission. The body doesn't look anything like a Buick should look in my opinion and just slapping a waterfall grille with a tri-shield logo on it isn't near enough. Saturn? yes, Buick? no!
    Besides all that, I really didn't want to read all the negative press about it being a badge-job and the inevitable comparo's to Buick's new target cars and about how inferior it would've been.

Now about the comment on the press' differences of headlines and how some are very misleading and promote agendas, The press no longer checks and double checks sources. It's perfectly acceptable today for them to print whatever they want and nobody ever calls them on it so they continue to do what they are doing. This is happening all over, not just the Automotive press.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600 View Post
    No surprise the press is befuddled. New GM is trying to demonstrate they are quickly making decisions, unlike the old bureaucratic GM. But ultimately the public doesn't care about GM not building a particular vehicle.
    could this have been planned from the start as a means to show how fast gm can make decisions.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jcgable's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    This is happening all over, not just the Automotive press.
    From what I can tell, they've been remarkably fair to GM lately...

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

This would kill websites like GMI, but if I were Fritz I'd issue an edict effective immediately to everyone in the corporation to SHUT UP.

I know Fritz has been part of this whole thing. And they probably think that since GM got so much public money that they owe that public at least some information.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Roger Penske put the brakes on the Buick. If it shared all that sheetmetal with the Vue, the same Vue he plans to buy from GM for the next few years and to continue selling as a Saturn, he would be understandably upset. It's just me, but I think something like this had more to do with the Buicks cancellation rather than all those people that said they didn't like it.

I thought that GM had designed specific sheetmatal and interior for the Buick version but I find I was wrong about that.

Things like this are going on at automakers all over the world EVERY DAY. The difference: We never hear about it. Products are evaluated, designed, redesigned, tested, then redesigned again, then cancelled, then reinstated but with differences...etc. etc. etc. all the bloody-time. But it seems only GM wears the label of "Mismanaged by morons".

The Saturn Vue is one of the nicest looking compact crossovers in its class. Even though it would be a rebadge, I am saddened to see it won't become a Buick. I own a Saturn and wanted to buy the Vue, but with GM selling it to Penske, I have less faith now in the brand !!! Damn !!!! The Vue and less so the Sky Roadster, I wanted them to stay within GM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

I think the use of 'Hideous' in some of these headlines is a bit overblown.
    I still think Buick could use a 5 seater like the Vue.
    Is the Lambda platform shrinkable enough for a 5 seat Enclave? Or is a Theta-Epsilon SRX/9_4X Buick coming along?
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

Thanks

I don't even really understand why they were looking to give Buick the Vue, short of the nearly developed hybrid plug in system.

I'm not even sure what Buick is supposed to be getting as an addition to their lineup, but it seems like they've announced quite a few vehicles lately. Regal, Vue, Gamma crossover, delta sedan, etc. That would bring their total to 6 or so vehicles and it seems like rather than make these brands into something, GM is simply giving everyone one of everything.

Thanks

LISTEN TO THIS GUY

He is absolutely right. Had the VUE looked awful, why would GM prop it so much as a VUE, and why would it sell so well? Also, Buick is now getting the "Saturn design language" with the Insignia (Regal) and the Astra sedan (whatever) and perhaps hatch, so the VUE, being originally designed as the Opel Antara, would have looked mightily fine. Last but not least, small crossovers are all the rage now, and with reaching as low as a compact sedan, why in the world would suddenly the VUE be anything wrong?

I am absolutely positive Penske told waved a big club from a distance knowing they will have to rely on selling the VUE for a few years, and GM had to suddenly backpedal on the announcement. One good thing is that they've at least come up with an explanation the gullible public bought.

And yes, everybody's testing plans, changing plans, making mistakes and backtracking. But e.g. just look at Fiatsler. They are testing new product ideas every day, by means of "rumors" (we've heard of almost every option possible by now) and thus can freely deny anything, or actually do not even have to comment on anything. So far, the official word from Chrysler or Fiat has been greatly limited, but still the press, blogs and forums are rife in opinion Chrysler can base decisions on.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 White

i think its a sign the GM is changing.. they are willing to make changes soon.. but wow that thing must have been ugly

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    LISTEN TO THIS GUY

He is absolutely right. Had the VUE looked awful, why would GM prop it so much as a VUE, and why would it sell so well? Also, Buick is now getting the "Saturn design language" with the Insignia (Regal) and the Astra sedan (whatever) and perhaps hatch, so the VUE, being originally designed as the Opel Antara, would have looked mightily fine. Last but not least, small crossovers are all the rage now, and with reaching as low as a compact sedan, why in the world would suddenly the VUE be anything wrong?

I am absolutely positive Penske told waved a big club from a distance knowing they will have to rely on selling the VUE for a few years, and GM had to suddenly backpedal on the announcement. One good thing is that they've at least come up with an explanation the gullible public bought.

And yes, everybody's testing plans, changing plans, making mistakes and backtracking. But e.g. just look at Fiatsler. They are testing new product ideas every day, by means of "rumors" (we've heard of almost every option possible by now) and thus can freely deny anything, or actually do not even have to comment on anything. So far, the official word from Chrysler or Fiat has been greatly limited, but still the press, blogs and forums are rife in opinion Chrysler can base decisions on.
    I'm flattered, thank you.

I've often thought through the "Lutz-Era" that too damn-much information was being provided about either upcoming product or even the deficiencies of current vehicles. Bob just didn't seem to want to keep quiet.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Thanks

So back to the drawing board. So as I understand it, the Buick "Vue" is what everyone was talking about and not necessarily a 5 passenger, compact crossover. I doubt GM abandons this concept as it would be vital to strengthening Buick's lineup. The mechanical engineering is essentially all in place. The only thing that matters is sheet metal.

Give GM designers a couple of months and I bet they get it right. So instead of a rebadge, we get a redesign. I think that is better anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Decisions are being made pretty quickly these days at GM....so I suppose this kind of thing will happen.

Most of the reports that I read say that this crossover product will not be moving to Buick, but that the hybrid powertrain probably will.

Not a bad thing...the Vue is a good product, but by 2011 or 2012, its going to be pretty stale. I'm sure Buick will be getting yet another crossover, just not that one.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information