What We Know – Alleged Buick Anthem Crossover

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What We Know – Alleged Buick Anthem Crossover

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

What We Know – Alleged Buick Anthem Crossover

Buick allegedly gaining a crossover to slot between Encore and Enclave.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    June 26, 2013
    By: Nick Saporito

2013 Buick Enclave

In recent weeks spy shots of a swoopy looking crossover have surfaced, allegedly of an upcoming Buick that insiders claim wears the name “Anthem.” As typical, much speculation has arisen since the spy shots came out, including whether or not the alleged Anthem is even intended for the North American market, or if it will be reserved exclusively for Buick’s lucrative Chinese market.

GMI has since been able to clear up some of the speculation surrounding the Anthem crossover, including that it will be built off of GM’s global compact architecture, also known as “Delta.” The size of the crossover in the spy shots seems to validate it’s alleged foundation dimensionally, and it has been well-known that GM intends to reduce the number of platforms it utilizes globally in effort to reduce development costs.

Building the Anthem on the Delta platform would likely net a crossover that is--size wise--positioned right between the recently launched Encore and the significantly larger Enclave. Buick would essentially be covering all crossover bases with the three prong approach.

Additionally, every indication is that the Anthem will indeed be sold in both North America and China under the Buick nameplate. According to sources familiar with GM product planning, the Anthem will most likely begin production in mid-2014 as a 2015 model in both North America and China, with the Chinese launch being a bit behind the North American launch.

As the case with most shared Buicks between North America and China, the Anthem will likely utilize different engines on both continents. GMI has not been able to confirm specifics regarding engines for the Anthem, however we have a hunch that GM’s well-known 2.5 and 2.0-turbo four-cylinders will be involved, at least in North America.

So, why is Buick allegedly gaining another crossover when they already have two? According to the Wall Street Journal, crossover sales are up nearly 14-percent so far this year, and most analysts are predicting even larger surges in sales of small crossovers in the future. Couple crossover success with Buick’s resurgent brand image, and a midsize crossover may flow right into the Buick anthem, pun intended.

As for the name, GMI has been told for the last year that Anthem was the finalized marketing name for this Buick, but nothing is final until its actually revealed.
    Last edited by ne_one; 06-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Re: What We Know – Alleged Buick Anthem Crossover

Can't wait to see what Buick makes to this crossover. It should give Buick more profits for new cars like a GN or something in that neighborhood.

Thanks

Hope they do this right and make it very different from the Terrain.
    Current Ride:
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Previous Rides:
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (Coupe)
    1992 GMC Conversion Van

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,519 Times in 1,349 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

We can already tell from the spy shots that it's nothing like a Terrain.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's obvious why Buick needs mid-sizer. We have the giant Enclave and tiny Encore. The demand is there and well-priced Buick should excel.

Before this turns into a thread about cannibalization of other crossovers within GM, Buick is their own brand with their own needs. The Anthem has nothing to do with the Terrain, SRX or Nox. Assuming that someone will want to simply pick up another GM mid-sizer is erroneous at best. GM has three Lambdas and all of them sell extremely well without conflicting with each another.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 CamaroCrazy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Twin Turbo Caddy

Aren't the next gen Equinox and Terrain going on Delta? Sounds like this might give us a sneak peek at what to expect from those vehicles.

I don't blame GM for adding another crossover. If the market is that hot and Buick has room in their lineup, then I say go for it. I just hope it's differentiated enough from the rest of GM's portfolio.

IMO, "Anthem" is a better name for a Buick flagship vehicle that sets the tone for the brand, not a mid sized crossover. Just my $0.02.
    Current Cars:
    2016 GMC Acadia Denali
    2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Past Cars:
    1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1984 Chevrolet Impala, 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro, 2007 Ford Explorer, 2007 BMW 335i

De gustibus non est disputandum

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I don't expect it to be an X1 or X3 fighter, but here's hoping GM gives it enough sport to go up against the Titanium Escape.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

really hoping it has a sporty look to it....definitely will be my next vehicle to downsize from the Enclave.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Good, I'm glad to see that hole in the line plugged. Hopefully it is a tad bit smaller than the Equinox/Terrain (not a lot smaller, just a little bit) but yet significantly bigger than the Encore. If they can keep the curb weight down to 3600-3700 for FWD and 3800-3900 for AWD, the 2.5 for a base engine and 2.0 turbo for the uplevel engine would be fine. HOPEFULLY by then GM will have an 8 speed automatic available to bump up fuel economy 1-2 more?

Oh, and take a page out of the Encores book, give it 18" or 19" wheels STANDARD across the board...the uplevel trims can get a different design or finish, but if you think it looks good with one size, give EVERY version that size.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

maybe someone can do a rendering of how it might look?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

Could this be the same platform the next Cruze and Captiva are going to be built on?
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope it looks like that swoopy concept...I forget the name....it looked influenced by the first Shanghai Riviera concept.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I hope it looks like that swoopy concept...I forget the name....it looked influenced by the first Shanghai Riviera concept.
    Envision??....me too. of course it won't be that radical but hope it's similar.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazy View Post
    Aren't the next gen Equinox and Terrain going on Delta? Sounds like this might give us a sneak peek at what to expect from those vehicles.
    Yes, that is the plan. The next gen Lambdas are supposed to get a little smaller too.

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,081 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazy View Post
    Also, GM has also extended the Trademark for Granite. What are the chances the Terrain name might be replaced by Granite? Along with the general design of the concept utilized on the new Delta platform GMC.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information