Regal GS Rated 270 HP, 295 Lb-Ft Torque

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Regal GS Rated 270 HP, 295 Lb-Ft Torque

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Buick throws a surprise with higher-than-expected power figures.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    June 15, 2011
    By: Nick Saporito

Today Buick announced power figures for the upcoming 2012 Regal GS. The performance variant of the European-derived sedan will be good for 270 horsepower and 295 foot-pounds of torque. The power figures will allow the GS to propel to 60 MPH in 6.7 seconds, according to GM.

Regal GS utilized a high-output variant of the Regal Turbo's ECOTEC 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. Buick considers the Acura TSX V-6, Audi A4 Sport and Volvo S60 T5 the GS' main competition.

“The Regal GS 2.0L turbo delivers the highest specific output of any production engine GM has ever offered, and at 135 hp per liter is the most power dense engine ever certified by SAE,” said Mike Anderson, Ecotec global chief engineer and program manager. “We’ve been combining direct injection and variable valve timing with boosted engines since 2006, and there’s no question the Regal GS turbo has the responsiveness and acceleration of some V-6s, while delivering the fuel economy you’d expect of a four-cylinder.”

GM claims that 95-percent of the engine's torque is on tap from 2300 RPM and 4900 RPM. The car's peak 295 foot-pounds of torque happens at a low 2400 RPM.

Only a six-speed manual will be offered at launch, but Buick is promising the addition of an automatic sometime after launch. With the manual the car will achieve an estimated 28 MPG highway.

Additionally the GS will sport a revised variant of Regal's Interactive Drive Control system with a more aggressive "GS" mode. Larger brakes, beefed up suspension all around (including GM's HiPer Strut up front) and enhanced StabiliTrak stability control will also join the GS.

Today's announcement comes as a welcomed surprise thanks to the higher-than-expected horsepower rating. The Regal GS Concept that ran the autoshow circuit last year was rated only at 255 horsepower and caught much flack from the automotive press and enthusiasts.

Below is a video, released by Buick, that "teases" the Regal GS with it being hooned around a track. Enjoy.

Last edited by nsap; 06-15-2011 at 11:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Re: Regal GS Rated 270 HP, 295 Lb-Ft Torque

270 is good, but it should have been ~280 so GM can brag that their 2.0t is more powerful than H/K. I'd say 0-60 should happen in 6.2 or 6.3. 6.7 is too slow for all that power, IMHO.

With that being the case, I still prefer a N/A V6.

EDIT: Hey nsap, what have you heard the regular 2.0t will be rated at? I was hoping 240-250HP
    Last edited by Envoy4Life; 06-15-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 535 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Would have liked to see more, but glad they raised it a little bit...Either way, should be a fun car to drive.

28 MPG highway is pretty nice as well.
    Hidden Content

New Aluminum body? GM don't currr

6.2 for life

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,155 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    270 is good, but it should have been ~280 so GM can brag that their 2.0t is more powerful than H/K. I'd say 0-60 should happen in 6.2 or 6.3. 6.7 is too slow for all that power, IMHO.

With that being the case, I still prefer a N/A V6.
    how do those numbers compare with the OPC V6 is the bigger question. The OPC produces 325 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque. I would imagine the GS could keep up with the OPC up to 60 mph, but after that the horsepower equation would kick in and it would be left in ze german dust.

I think the real issue here is the EPA. As much as we do not like, EPA is screwing things up for us.
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 06-15-2011 at 11:39 AM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

0-60 MPH in 6.7 seconds... c'mon thats sporty yea but not sporty enough... Can we get better 0-60 times!! Automatic is going to be even more slower

Talking about that crazy torque, sot the Chevy Malibu's output is going to be around that corner too since there is no V6.... Right/?
    -ZaC-
    Life, Liberty and The Pursuit

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    how do those numbers compare with the OPC V6 is the bigger question. The OPC produces 325 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque.

I think the real issue here is the EPA. As much as we do not like, EPA is screwing things up for us.

I thought the OPC made 320 lb-ft. Anyway, I'd assume the OPC would dust the GS in a race.

And yes, the EPA sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by zackythekid View Post
    0-60 MPH in 6.7 seconds... c'mon thats sporty yea but not sporty enough... Can we get better 0-60 times!! Automatic is going to be even more slower

Talking about that crazy torque, sot the Chevy Malibu's output is going to be around that corner too since there is no V6.... Right/?
    I think the new Malibu will get the regular 2.0t, unless plans changed.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

DJR
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Still wish it had the turbo V6 and AWD that it's Opel OPC counterpart has. I think this [Regal GS 2.0L turbo] is the engine that the regular Regal Turbo should have (which is already underpowered). The regal GS should have had over 300 HP with all wheel drive. A 6.7 sec 0-60MPH time is nothing to get excited about! I can spend half the money on a Civic Si and blow this car out of the water.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Where's the AWD?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Where's the AWD?

I forgot all about that. Will AWD be offered?
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

0-60 in 6.7 seconds. That's what my '87 IROC did, also with 295 tq but only 215hp.

Why not put the 3.6LFX motor in and be done with it? 0-60 would be 5.9-6.1 seconds.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,155 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

AWD alone could help the car.. that is keep EPA happy and keep the fan base happy...

Its doubtful anyone would actually use the car at the very top end of its capabilities, so handling around bends would be a good option,

If they gave it AWD, and after market stage II kits, available through the dealer network to up the ante to 300 or so HP.. they would satisfy EPA and keep people satisfied..
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 06-15-2011 at 11:50 AM.

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Anybody know how much this car weighs?

28mpg is not that great on the hwy.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Regal GS/16

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    Still wish it had the turbo V6 and AWD that it's Opel OPC counterpart has. I think this [Regal GS 2.0L turbo] is the engine that the regular Regal Turbo should have (which is already underpowered). The regal GS should have had over 300 HP with all wheel drive. A 6.7 sec 0-60MPH time is nothing to get excited about! I can spend half the money on a Civic Si and blow this car out of the water.

the V6T that the Opel has is garbage when you consider its FE compared to its power. It would be forced to wear a gax tax, and have less power than a Vette, which I don't believe has a gas tax on it.

Just throwing a large V6 runs the risk of messing with the driving dynamics the the car aspires to. This incarnation never intended to be a drag racer. Its strength lies in its ability to TURN while going fast.

It still needs more power and AWD. Wonder if there is a Turbo version of the 2.4 or 2.5 in the works.
    '99 Pontiac Grand AM SE V6
    '07 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible
    '11 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
    '13 Buick Regal GS
    '16 Buick Regal GS

Thanks

Would of liked to see the AWD added back, like the concept.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 oklapike's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Camaro SS 45th AE

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    I thought the OPC made 320 lb-ft. Anyway, I'd assume the OPC would dust the GS in a race.

And yes, the EPA sucks.

I think the new Malibu will get the regular 2.0t, unless plans changed.
    Honestly, for the new Malibu, the regular 2.0 turbo should be plenty of engine (that's still 220 hp and 258 ft-lb). I doubt the Malibu is going to be positioned/marketed as a sports sedan.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information