Former Tesla designer shapes Buick's design, in Shanghai

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Former Tesla designer shapes Buick's design, in Shanghai

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 900 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Former Tesla designer shapes Buick's design, in Shanghai

Randy Rodriguez moves to GM Patac
    Now based in Shanghai, Rodriguez is helping to build Buick’s new design philosophy
    By Maxine Morland
    19 June 2019
    Car Design News

Randy Rodriguez has moved from Tesla to GM Patac in Shanghai. While Randy was at Tesla he worked under the Franz von Holzhausen, joining just as part two of Elon Musk’s ‘Master Plan’ got underway. He was involved with many new projects like the pick-up but his focus was mostly on the Semi, an all-electric battery-powered Class 8 semi-trailer truck prototype (also unveiled on November 2017).

Rodriguez is now director Advanced Design GM Patac (the joint-venture between GM and SAIC) in Shanghai. “I joined GM Patac earlier this year and a big draw was the fact that the automotive industry in China has been the largest auto market in the world for some time now,” he told Car Design News. “The industry has matured rapidly and there is a staggering amount of car brands (and many more emerging) focused on EVs.”

Randy is now based in GM Patac (Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center) in Pudong, Shanghai, in a new campus that was specifically built to have design, engineering, research and testing facilities co-located “to have its 3,000 employees collaborate even more efficiently,” Randy explained. “When I first visited Patac it had elements reminiscent of the Warren, Michigan design centre,” he continued.
    “I’m still settling in but there is a renaissance happening with the (GM-Patac) brands and we are, in particular, working on influencing and helping to define what’s next in the design language and philosophy of Buick.”
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Patac’s new campus - Image Courtesy and Credited to cardesignnews.com
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-10-2019),Cobaltss_King (07-10-2019),richmond2000 (07-11-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Former Tesla designer shapes Buick's design, in Shanghai

It's crazy how much GM is focusing on the China market. One bad political move and they could lose billions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (07-10-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,099 Times in 3,867 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

SAIC being Shanghai Motor Corporation Limited, dating back to our good pal Chairman Mao.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC_Motor

GM thinks they're going to get rich selling zillions of electric Johnny Cab--or Mao Cab--cars in China. The downside to naivety and ignorance is that when you walk cheerfully into a trap, even though it's an ambush, you know you'll be safely retired and counting your millions like Uncle Scrooge did in his Money Bin,

and that stuff the fan is blowing all over the room will not touch you. It's nice, being able to make yooj decisions that carry absolutely no personal consequences for yourself not matter how good or bad those decisions turn out to be.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-10-2019),XP300 (07-10-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,477 Times in 3,796 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    It's crazy how much GM is focusing on the China market. One bad political move and they could lose billions.
    I can't blame GM for investing a lot in China. There is no other market like it - 1 billion consumers, a growing economy rapidly becoming a 1st world country. I do agree there is a lot of risk, with one word GM could loose all of its assets in China.

If GM were your company, where would you focus your attention? One nation with mostly one set of rules and a growing economy with consumers willing to try your product or, say Europe? Europe with multitudes of tastes and entrenched competition with consumers that are not willing to buy a foreign competitor to their beloved Peugot or VW? Or try to tackle multiple 3rd world countries with different regulations and shaky governments and other infrastructure issues?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-10-2019),emh (07-10-2019),jzchev28 (07-10-2019),megeebee (07-10-2019),Murrow (07-10-2019),richmond2000 (07-11-2019),wallus13 (07-10-2019)

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    If GM were your company, where would you focus your attention? One nation with mostly one set of rules and a growing economy with consumers willing to try your product or, say Europe? Europe with multitudes of tastes and entrenched competition with consumers that are not willing to buy a foreign competitor to their beloved Peugot or VW? Or try to tackle multiple 3rd world countries with different regulations and shaky governments and other infrastructure issues?
    Is "all of the above" an option?
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Thanks
    Thanked 7,477 Times in 3,796 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Is "all of the above" an option?
    Ha! It can be but they have to exponentially increase their overhead and expenses to accommodate all of this growth. Think of the time, massive costs and work involved for say, Chevrolet, to penetrate Europe in a meaningful way. And of course it will be a big distraction from upper management as they focus all their attention to making Europe a success. And we all know how difficult it will be to make Chevy a success in Europe.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,832 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I can't blame GM for investing a lot in China. There is no other market like it - 1 billion consumers, a growing economy rapidly becoming a 1st world country. I do agree there is a lot of risk, with one word GM could loose all of its assets in China.

I agree with that but I think it could all come back to haunt them by a good clean bite in the Azz. We've already seen what a mess Europe can be and why they finally bailed. Hopefully some good electrics and Buick can be GM's savior in this boondoggle in the making.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-10-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Anthony Evans's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    SAIC being Shanghai Motor Corporation Limited, dating back to our good pal Chairman Mao.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC_Motor

GM thinks they're going to get rich selling zillions of electric Johnny Cab--or Mao Cab--cars in China. The downside to naivety and ignorance is that when you walk cheerfully into a trap, even though it's an ambush, you know you'll be safely retired and counting your millions like Uncle Scrooge did in his Money Bin,

and that stuff the fan is blowing all over the room will not touch you. It's nice, being able to make yooj decisions that carry absolutely no personal consequences for yourself not matter how good or bad those decisions turn out to be.
    GM is handing over the means of production

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Evans View Post
    GM is handing over the means of production
    Hmm. So why would China need GM after that? BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a good deal of bribery going on here. It's how a lot of people do business, whether in DC or Peking or London. More upper case Americans are now interested in wealth in this lifetime vs. flying the flag. I believe that's why many otherwise questionable decisions are made. Not so puzzling when you have Scrooge McDuck's addiction to hording money.

My wife and I were talking about a certain cousin of mine. More than once. She makes cheapskates look like spendthrifts. At her retirement party, where all her "friends and colleagues" talked about nothing but how cheap she was, he mother went into shock (figuratively).
    "So what's her plan for when she dies?" my wife asked. I thought she'll probably have as much wealth as possible converted into $20 bills and stuff the casket with them. It only makes sense.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Capitalism is based on perpetual growth, and when you can't find it in the traditional mature markets you bet big on emerging economies.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Burns For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-11-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,495 Times in 3,153 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Well, too bad they barely make any money there and their Chinese partners has them by the bolls. Its an upside down relationship.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Well, too bad they barely make any money there and their Chinese partners has them by the bolls. Its an upside down relationship.
    Because previous administrations, and the heads of numerous US companies, saw no prolemo with the one-way technology agreements/requirements that outfits like GM were forced to sign in order to participate in the looting of, I mean, in the vast yooj amazing market that will soon belong to GM!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (07-11-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm. So why would China need GM after that? BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a good deal of bribery going on here. It's how a lot of people do business, whether in DC or Peking or London. More upper case Americans are now interested in wealth in this lifetime vs. flying the flag. I believe that's why many otherwise questionable decisions are made. Not so puzzling when you have Scrooge McDuck's addiction to hording money.

My wife and I were talking about a certain cousin of mine. More than once. She makes cheapskates look like spendthrifts. At her retirement party, where all her "friends and colleagues" talked about nothing but how cheap she was, he mother went into shock (figuratively).
    "So what's her plan for when she dies?" my wife asked. I thought she'll probably have as much wealth as possible converted into $20 bills and stuff the casket with them. It only makes sense.
    China needs GM's "damaged",but better than a Chinese manufacturers name to sell to the world.

Who over here in the "Americas" is going to buy a Polopony 5-TC by Boyong Ying over a Cadillac CT-5 by GM?.

I don't know about you,but my money is going to Boyong Ying.... (j/k)

I am surprised that some China company hasn't made a move on FCA yet considering the financial drama swirling around them.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    China needs GM's "damaged",but better than a Chinese manufacturers name to sell to the world.

Who over here in the "Americas" is going to buy a Polopony 5-TC by Boyong Ying over a Cadillac CT-5 by GM?.

I don't know about you,but my money is going to Boyong Ying.... (j/k)

I am surprised that some China company hasn't made a move on FCA yet considering the financial drama swirling around them.
    Good point if you're talking about rational people. Unfortunately they seem to be in decline, along with striving for excellence vs. striving for diversity. So I'd guess lots of GREENIES would flock to anything Chynnaaa!!

That cousin I mentioned above, I remember when she and a couple of her red buddies visited Chynnahhhh!! for the first time many moons ago. Couldn't stop raving. Beautiful. Clean. Friendly. Never mind you're going to a camp for a lengthy vacation if any tourist sees anything except those qualities. So I fear there is a sizable minority in the hate America first crowd who would love to bankrupt anything American and see the Pure In Thought And Deed Chicommies just take over everything.

Besides, who could resist something named Polopony 5-TC by Boyong Ying?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (07-11-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Anthony Evans's Avatar
    Thanks

A capitalist will sell you the rope you hang them with. GM sees $$$ in the short term and that’s it

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements