Buick Virtually Clones Extreme Roads

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buick Virtually Clones Extreme Roads

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Edmunds
    October 13, 2010
    by Ron Montoya

Perhaps inspired by Lexus' recent showboating of its driving simulator, Buick announced today that it has created a road scanner that can create a micro-detailed 3D digital representation of any real-world road surface to within one millimeter of accuracy. The research team focuses its efforts on recreating some of the most challenging roads in the world, which they then use to virtually drive Buick prototypes to test for quality and reliability.

One of the extreme roads the team has recreated is the one leading to Mexico's Cerro del Cubilete shrine. This cobblestone road is filled with curves and bumps that tax the limits of any car's suspension, the engineers said. "Customers who drive on that road complain about steering rack noise," said Mine Tasci, one of the engineers on the project. "That's why we wanted to recreate this road so that we can test and ensure that our vehicles are up to the challenge of driving on roads like this one."

Buick says that it submits new vehicles to rigorous virtual testing well before a physical prototype ever sees the light of day. This allows their engineers to find and address issues early in the development cycle.

Video at the link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Buick Virtually Clones Extreme Roads

That has many, many possibilities I wonder what the first vehicles to be designed that way were or are going to be. If it is an inhouse system that the IP on that can be worth quite a fortune. I would love to see the projected savings in time and money and the improvement in quality that was part of the business plan for that project. GM is firing on all cylinders in an attempt to build the valuation ahead of the IPO.

Banned
    Thanks

Lol, a lot of GMs have steering rack issues. Including my own. Popping from time to time, and a GOD AWEFULLY USELESS steering pump. Whenever I turn and brake at the same time it groans like an 85 year old man with 25K miles on the clock, been doing it for a while and of COURSE you get the "Dealer could not reproduce"

Uhh OK... You'd think someone would want a couple of hours on a ticket, but since it's not coming from PDIs no one wants it, money for work is bad, money for nothing is good. - at your local GM dealer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

It's great to see GM touting it's own technology. They have been ahead of the curve recently in terms of build and testing technology, but no one but the folks like us really know about it. Keep getting the word out GM.

Thanks

Thats cool. I have had several W bodies that the steering and front suspension made thumping sounds like it was loose. Been nice if they had this years ago.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't they just drive around Metro Detroit?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Lol, a lot of GMs have steering rack issues. Including my own. Popping from time to time, and a GOD AWEFULLY USELESS steering pump. Whenever I turn and brake at the same time it groans like an 85 year old man with 25K miles on the clock, been doing it for a while and of COURSE you get the "Dealer could not reproduce"

Uhh OK... You'd think someone would want a couple of hours on a ticket, but since it's not coming from PDIs no one wants it, money for work is bad, money for nothing is good. - at your local GM dealer.
    You have no idea, until you've driven a Cavalier with 87,000 miles on it...
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post

and you know it's the rack, how again? it couldn't possibly be a strut, strut mount, ball joint, or anything else in the suspension. It's the rack? people like you amaze me, if they say they can't reproduce, take them for a damn drive and show them. This is what I do every time the dealer gives me this line (regardless of make) and if I can do it, they address it. you act like you know so much, then be smart enough to know what to do when you are told no. don't just go bitch and say they are wrong, prove it to them!

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 950 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer View Post
    and you know it's the rack, how again? it couldn't possibly be a strut, strut mount, ball joint, or anything else in the suspension. It's the rack? people like you amaze me, if they say they can't reproduce, take them for a damn drive and show them. This is what I do every time the dealer gives me this line (regardless of make) and if I can do it, they address it. you act like you know so much, then be smart enough to know what to do when you are told no. don't just go bitch and say they are wrong, prove it to them!
    Toupe!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ILikeNiceCars's Avatar
    Thanks

What is the point of this technology? What do I need or want with this??? I think this is absolutely pointless, useless piece of gadgetry that is designed for one reason only: to suck more money out of your wallet. I just hope GM doesn't make this stuff standard on all its vehicles, as (to me) it adds a bit of "undesireablity" factor to whichever vehicle it is attached to. Sorry, I just don't see the point of it, and have no interest in it.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Chevy HHR LS

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Haha so true! My friends and I went Downtown last Saturday night to hit some bars in and around Greektown. Boy, GM could have just drove around not more then a mile from the RenCen to find some "Better" roads for durability testing. I know my friend's Park Avenue was sure taking a beating on the pavement (I am glad I wasn't the DD that night). Gotta love Detroit, heck the engineers could have just used Van Dyke right out side their office building at the Tech Center!
    Better Cars Have Been Built...Buick, is Finally Building Them!

Current Rides:
    2010 GMC Acadia AWD SLT

Past Rides:
    1963 Buick Special w/ 198 Fireball V6 (The First Gen of the Buick V6 aka 3800)
    2008 Pontiac G8

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    I agree granted the technology involved is very cool but who needs a simulator when you can take a drive around the metro detroit area Most of the roads around that area are in various states of disrepair and it can serve as a real world test
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeNiceCars View Post
    What is the point of this technology? What do I need or want with this??? I think this is absolutely pointless, useless piece of gadgetry that is designed for one reason only: to suck more money out of your wallet. I just hope GM doesn't make this stuff standard on all its vehicles, as (to me) it adds a bit of "undesireablity" factor to whichever vehicle it is attached to. Sorry, I just don't see the point of it, and have no interest in it.
    they virtually recreate any road in the world and then simulate a vehicle driving down it. then they take measurements and figure out how the car would handle it. then they retune it and make it better. its a relatively cheap way to test any car in any part of the world and get near real world results. this is especialy the case since the cars can be tested before theyre even built so this way theres no surprises when the prototypes are constructed and driven- saving even more money getting it right the first or second time.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeNiceCars View Post
    It is not for the individual car, it is a part of the prototyping process during the development of the vehicle. It would allow them to tweak and try 10's or even 100's of configurations and setups per day I would guess. Rather than building a number of mules and then testing them and tweaking them and then testing them again. Now you can test 1000's of them and then gather the data, pick the best build and real world test. This is kinda like the Matrix for suspensions. This can cut quite a bit of money and time out of the vehicle design process and hopefully result in tangible improvements.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

They are basically taking Forza 3/Gran Turismo and using that technology.

Guys spend HOURS tweaking a cars suspension to gain tenths on a fake track.

I see nothing but good coming from this. Its far cheaper to change stuff in a simulation than to actually produce 1000s of one off parts.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information