GM Inside News Forum banner

Buick Regal Is Ending Production

9K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Blair Walker 
#1 ·
Buick Regal Is Ending Production
With the Regal now dead, Buick no longer has any sedans in its current model lineup.
BY MARTIN BIGG
AUGUST 6, 2020
carbuzz.com

With SUV, crossover, and sedan sales shrinking, car manufacturers have been forced to trim their passenger car lineups. Last year, we learned that the Buick Regal will be another victim of the crossover craze. Now it's time to say goodbye to the Buick Regal because the sedan has been discontinued.

General Motors hasn't officially announced the Buick Regal's death yet, but the automaker confirmed to us last year it will be discontinued for the 2021 model year. Now, our sources have told us that production of the Buick Regal Sportback and TourX has officially ended in the US. This means Buick no longer has any sedans in its current model lineup, allowing the automaker to focus on the lucrative crossover market.

Sadly, the Regal's demise was inevitable when you look at the sales figures. Year-over-year sales for the Regal were down by nearly 20 percent in the first nine months of 2019. A GM spokesperson also told us last year that nearly 90 percent of Buick sales were crossovers. Slow sales are not the only factor that led to the Regal's demise, however.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#9 ·
Indeed. GM's "PR" Department ($2.95 billion budget in 2019, if you can believe that) often seems like an imaginary friend. When sales slip year after unadvertised year, the brains of the outfit stand around scratching their asses wondering WTF happened. "Well, might as well kill it, Jebthro! Nobody's buying these no more!"

Reactions: Mr.Buttons
#12 · (Edited)
I think the more shocking revelation was that it was still in production in 2020.

True, But to be 100, cant that same logic be applied to GMC? there isnt anything in their lineup that isnt covered by Chevrolet or Cadillac...their lineup is all overlap.

#13 ·
My issue with the current Regal was the downmarket approach they took versus the previous generation car. Though I had my 2017 Regal ST a very short time I compared it back to back with the newest Regal when I worked at my local GM dealership and other than the extra power of the new motor and the lighter platform I couldn't find a single thing I preferred about the new car. It just wasn't as nice looking inside or out as the previous car.

The TourX was a good idea but I think a V6 and a fancier interior would've enticed more people. Same with getting rid of the cladding but I truly enjoyed the styling as is and thought it was a handsome wagon. They sold like crap at my dealership until GM slapped a $10k rebate on them.

#23 ·
#30 ·
The prior gen GS with the 2.0T wasn't really fast either (like a mid-high 14 second car, watch out for V6 Camrys) but it was a great driving FWD car that I really enjoyed. I got the sense the current gen was softened a bit. Unfortunately they're even more rare than an SS Sedan ;) so I've yet to see one let alone drive one. I will say the previous gen GS still catches my eye when I see one, it was the best looking Buick sedan in a long time and since.

#22 ·
Our TourX has been a good piece. Almost 20k miles. Solid car, quite roomy. Pretty quick, too. Fuel economy is good as well. Many people didn’t know Buick made such a car. It gets quite a few compliments when driving around. Not promoted by GM at all. We’ll continue to enjoy ours while we have it.

#25 ·
That's one more brand that I'll have no interest in. For me, SUVs, crossovers and trucks are absolutely uninteresting. Reading car magazines now, at least American ones takes just a moment any more, at least where new cars are concerned.

I tried the Regal, and liked it. But you can't sell what you don't have, and Regals were thin on the lot here. Now, they're completely non-existent, and a AutoTrader search shows I'd have to go out of state for a Regal Sportback (not interested in the TourX). Suttle's lot is now dominated by SUVs and crossovers, if you're interested in something else, it's on the used car lot.

#26 ·
The Regal, Verano, and the Cascada are all good looking cars IMO. I even toyed with the idea of a Cascada, though I grew up in convertibles and grew to hate the buffeting that coach passengers had to endure.

#29 ·
Quite honestly, I don't think there is anything "there" for GM (or Buick) regarding the Regal. It's a German design, built by a German company (Opel) that is owned by a French Company (Poo Joe).

I was considering getting the wagon a couple years ago, but GM was not allowing decent configurations. The wagon (Tour X) was not available with the better motor offered in the Regal GS, and the you couldn't delete the ugly cladding, even though it's sold in Europe without that cladding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.