Buick Compact Crossover Explained - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buick Compact Crossover Explained

Thanks

Re: Buick Compact Crossover Explained

I obviously hope GM either tells Mrs. Sauer to stick it or does a clandestine deal with Her Merkelness and holds on to Opel. Then, they could develop the small Corsa-based 4x4 for both Opel and Buick, and in turn have GMC finally design a block-ish, truck-ish robust replacement for the ancient Combo (yes, the same vehicle that served in the Battle of Marne in WW1).

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

why not give buick something off of delta instead of gamma?
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Chevrolet is already working on their own crossover based on the Gamma II.
    they may get something like a scion breadbox, or at least that is what I read this morning.
    Sold:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (105k mi.).
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.)
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

I think the most expedient tack to take is to give it to Buick to avoid incurring the delay and expense of redesigning it to fit a GMC look. Besides, just how "Butch" can a small, tall, FWD van look?

But GMC and Buick are in many ways the same line-up, at least I feel the public will see it that way. Remember GMC and Buick are sold by the same dealerships and the same potential customers will see the vehicle no matter which brand it wears.

Last edited by megeebee; 08-12-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    I obviously hope GM either tells Mrs. Sauer to stick it or does a clandestine deal with Her Merkelness and holds on to Opel. Then, they could develop the small Corsa-based 4x4 for both Opel and Buick, and in turn have GMC finally design a block-ish, truck-ish robust replacement for the ancient Combo (yes, the same vehicle that served in the Battle of Marne in WW1).

"Over there....Over there.... Spread the word, spread the word,.Over there............That the Yanks are comin', The Yanks are comin'....."

I wish GM could hold on to Opel as well. I feel it's a great asset. I wonder if this is at all possible. But I think the terms of the loan agreement with our Treasury stipulates its sale.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjoe View Post
    The EX isnt based on the Rouge--Its based on the G, sorta like a tall G37 wagon.

They sure look the same. Didn't know that little CUV was RWD.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by benalbright View Post
    I would now have all the Buick and Cadillac dealerships as additional options for service.

.... Just about everyone knows a GMC is the same thing as a Chevy, regardless of their "professional grade" slogans.
    1. You can get a Chevy serviced at GMC dealer now, and vice versa.

2. Then why are so many people buying GMC, when they can get a Chevy for a little less? It isn't a higher number of dealers, or the mechanics of the truck, or a better dash. Apparently, they'd rather not have a Chevy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Why would GMC get a Gamma II vehicle if it already has the Terrain? Further, I don't see how anyone would want an SUV smaller than the current VUE. That vehicle is rather squeezed-up as it is.

The same people that bought the following
    X3
    RDX
    Q5
    EX
    GLK

The Vue is closer in size to the X5, MDX and ML crowd.
    I have seen the boobs. And they is us.

Thanks

There are many sizes of cars, so IMO it makes sense to have a similar range of CUV's.

Chevy cars (will) range have Spark-Aveo-Cruze-Malibu-Impala... but on the CUV/MPV side they have Equinox-Orlando-Traverse. And the Equinox is reallly just as big as the Murano/CX-7/Edge in most ways, so there's plenty of room under it for a baby CUV to go up against the CR-V/Rogue/Sportage.

Buick is a bit less workable due the the "RendezVUE" being on SWB Theta, but if it were more LWB Theta sized (cough... SRX was a mistake... cough) then it would fit perfectly... compare to Audi: Gamma CUV=Q3, (LWB Theta)Renedzvous=Q5, Enclave=Q7.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by momo67 View Post
    Interesting that Buick is turning into Opel North America. Isn't that what GM tried to do with Saturn a couple of years ago? the Aura, Outlook and Astra were the Opel Vectra, Antara and Astra respectively. Didn't seem to work out, but hopefully they'll get it right this time.
    The Aura was not the Vectra. The Aura was a GMNA design sprinkled with Opel design elements. The 2002-2008 Vectra sedan used the SWB Epsilon I platform and had an overall exterior shape similar to the 2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The Aura used the LWB Epsilon I platform and had its own unique design except for the Opel-esque front end treatment. The Aura's rear end treatment was totally unique to the Aura (no Vectra rear end treatment ever shared this design). The Aura's taillight shape was actually more similar to the design used on the 2004-2009 Astra hatchbacks. Basically, the Aura was a GMNA product designed to look like an Opel.

The Outlook was a GMNA Lambda derivative that never appeared anywhere in Opel's lineup. The exterior design actually looks like a modified GMC Acadia to me.

The Antara is basically a GMDAT vehicle that has been included in Opel's lineup (as well as Saturn's North American lineup). It is not a true Opel, although it does actually appear in Opel's lineup.

The Sky was not a true Opel product either. It was developed and produced by GMNA.

The only true Opel product to appear in Saturn's lineup during the supposed "Revitalization" of the brand was the Astra. This product's sales performance was stifled by several factors: wrong brand, lack of promotion, lack of a highly desirable vehicle configuration (sedan), wrong engine, product not tailored to U.S. market expectations, effect of unfavorable exchange rates on MSRP, etc...

It's unfair to blame Saturn's recent failure on Opel since this alignment was not really competently or completely executed. I think the alignment will work out better with Buick because of Buick's market position and the fact that the upcoming products appear to be better tailored to fit in with the needs and expectations of the U.S. market.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by schmallz View Post
    X3
    RDX
    Q5
    EX
    GLK

SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I would have given Buick a couple of tall wagons on the LWB Delta and LWB Epsilon platforms similar in concept to the Toyota Venza (only sleeker and much better looking as well as more luxurious) to slot below the Enclave. I would have given GMC SWB Theta and LWB Theta CUVs to slot below the Acadia. There would have been less overlap that way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schmallz View Post
    X3
    RDX
    Q5
    EX
    GLK

No it isn't - the VUE is 180.1" long. The X5 is 191.1" long, MDX 190.7" long, ML 188.5" long.
    The VUE has always been a compact SUV...on the larger end of compact SUVs, yes, but a compact all the same. The first generations of X5, RX300, and ML were a bit closer to both the previous and current VUEs in size, but they all debuted a couple years prior to the original VUE and grew larger in their second generations.

I agree with Buick61. The VUE is about as small as SUVs go, classwise and all. If Buick is supposed to get a Theta-based crossover (last we heard, it is the VUE), is that supposed to be midsized then, for this to be compact? Or is the Theta RendezVUE supposed to be a stopgap until a Gamma II Buick crossover? But that wouldn't make much sense unless Opel is either dropping the Antara in favor of the Gamma II crossover, or making the next gen Antara larger (however far off that is), which would make it more mid- (and SRX)-sized. And like others have mentioned, the Terrain is in the same showrooms as this would be?

And all these crossovers, and the Orlando is going to be the only vehicle (it's not really a crossover) to offer three rows of seats in smaller and less expensive package than the Lambdas?
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    No it isn't - the VUE is 180.1" long. The X5 is 191.1" long, MDX 190.7" long, ML 188.5" long.
    The VUE has always been a compact SUV...on the larger end of compact SUVs, yes, but a compact all the same. The first generations of X5, RX300, and ML were a bit closer to both the previous and current VUEs in size, but they all debuted a couple years prior to the original VUE and grew larger in their second generations.

I agree with Buick61. The VUE is about as small as SUVs go, classwise and all. If Buick is supposed to get a Theta-based crossover (last we heard, it is the VUE), is that supposed to be midsized then, for this to be compact? Or is the Theta RendezVUE supposed to be a stopgap until a Gamma II Buick crossover? But that wouldn't make much sense unless Opel is either dropping the Antara in favor of the Gamma II crossover, or making the next gen Antara larger (however far off that is), which would make it more mid- (and SRX)-sized. And like others have mentioned, the Terrain is in the same showrooms as this would be?

And all these crossovers, and the Orlando is going to be the only vehicle (it's not really a crossover) to offer three rows of seats in smaller and less expensive package than the Lambdas?
    Unless of course, Opel do a Zafira version of the Orlando that Buick will then share.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee8 View Post
    Unless of course, Opel do a Zafira version of the Orlando that Buick will then share.
    Hmm...good point...though I can't see Buick offering any non-SUV/crossover vehicles with 3 rows. Minivans, compact or large, just aren't "luxury," and the compact minivan market is still relatively new here. Plus a Buick Zafira probably still wouldn't offer AWD then.

I still wish we had seen the Zafira here years ago in the first place, as a Chevy or Saturn....
    Last edited by cdp326; 08-13-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information