Buick Compact Crossover Explained

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buick Compact Crossover Explained

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

GMI is told the new Gamma II crossover will be shared with Opel.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    August 12, 2009
    By: Nick Saporito

The "New" General Motors claims Buick as one of their four core brands. All of the new core brands are said to get quite a bit of attention product-wise and each brand is eventually to have a healthy lineup of vehicles. Late last week GM announced, officially, that Buick would be getting essentially the current Saturn Vue. They are even giving the Vue plug-in model (which was to come out in late 2010) to Buick. Not long after that announcement, reports surfaced that Buick would also be getting a Gamma II crossover. Gamma II being the platform that will underpin the next-generation Chevrolet Aveo and many other sub-compact products globally. GMI has been given the full story behind the supposed Buick small crossover and there is more to the story than previously reported.

What the situation comes down to is that Opel is already working on a Gamma II crossover for their own lineup in Europe. That seems like a logical addition to Opel's lineup as small vehicles such as that are very popular in Europe. GM wants to see this new crossover come to North America, but they have not decided entirely which division will get it. Back in April GM debated about giving to either GMC or Buick, but both come with benefits and drawbacks.

As GMI broke news of several months ago, Opel and Buick are sharing a lot of their lineups with each other going forward. That makes a lot of sense for Buick to get the new Opel crossover; plus Opel designs are very much in line with Buick designs. In addition, Buick could also sell it in China, which would likely be a good market for this type of vehicle. However, the argument against it is that Buick does not need a small crossover such as that and it simply doesn't fit with Buick.

The argument for GMC is that it is the crossover/truck brand and should have a small crossover like the proposed Opel. Unfortunately, Opel styling is on the opposite end of the spectrum from GMC's block-like, truckish designs. This would mean a total redesign from the Opel vehicle or giving GMC a vehicle that does not fit with their design theme.

Currently GM is leaning toward giving the Gamma II crossover to Buick, as has been reported. The final decision has not yet been made though. If given the green-light, the new crossover would be built in North America at either Lake Orion, Michigan or Lordstown, Ohio.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,396 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: Buick Compact Crossover Explained

I would definitely give it to Buick...doesn't GMC have a smaller crossover in the works anyways?
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The Vue going to Buick I am fairly happy with. I just hope it is upgraded sufficiently for that division. In any case, the Vue was about due an MCE, so I suppose "Buickization" will be folded into that process.

A Gamma-based crossover is a more challenging prospect. We really need more details, but I'd have thought it a better fit with Chevrolet, as a sub-Equinox model.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigThreeForever View Post
    The Vue going to Buick I am fairly happy with. I just hope it is upgraded sufficiently for that division. In any case, the Vue was about due an MCE, so I suppose "Buickization" will be folded into that process.

A Gamma-based crossover is a more challenging prospect. We really need more details, but I'd have thought it a better fit with Chevrolet, as a sub-Equinox model.
    Chevrolet is already working on their own crossover based on the Gamma II.

Thanks

gmc needs to be about light and heavy duty trucks! with a upscale approach as compared to the chevy trucks!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman1973 View Post
    gmc needs to be about light and heavy duty trucks! with a upscale approach as compared to the chevy trucks!
    GMC needs to be the only body on frame trucks that GM produces, with Denali trim levels that could be sold at Cadillac dealerships. Crossovers based on car type platforms could stay in each respective division but turn all true truck based products over to GMC and sell them at the three car divisions (Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac).

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Why would GMC get a Gamma II vehicle if it already has the Terrain? Further, I don't see how anyone would want an SUV smaller than the current VUE. That vehicle is rather squeezed-up as it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benalbright View Post
    GMC needs to be the only body on frame trucks that GM produces, with Denali trim levels that could be sold at Cadillac dealerships. Crossovers based on car type platforms could stay in each respective division but turn all true truck based products over to GMC and sell them at the three car divisions (Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac).
    Really? Get rid of Chevrolet truck? I know they are basically the same vehicle, then why does Chevrolet sell so many more? Name...bowtie...etc. Getting rid of Chevy truck would be a disaster.

Chevyman1973 has the correct answer.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Give it to Buick. GMC has the terrain and really needs a small truck like that Toyota unibody concept or Dodge M80

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Z28x View Post
    Give it to Buick. GMC has the terrain and really needs a small truck like that Toyota unibody concept or Dodge M80
    I agree, Terrain should be as small as GMC goes SUV/crossover-wise.

As for the small trucks...I'd like to see this somewhere along the line...

Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

Thanks

Interesting that Buick is turning into Opel North America. Isn't that what GM tried to do with Saturn a couple of years ago? the Aura, Outlook and Astra were the Opel Vectra, Antara and Astra respectively. Didn't seem to work out, but hopefully they'll get it right this time.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 623 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    GMI is told the new Gamma II crossover will be shared with Opel.
    www.gminsidenews.com

The final decision has not yet been made though.
    OK, make the final decision....Tick-Tock! Seems like a fairly easy decision to make. Let's get the product going...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Chevrolet is already working on their own crossover based on the Gamma II.
    So Chevrolet will have the Spark, Aveo, Orlando and a Gamma II CUV on the smaller end of the lineup?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    So Chevrolet will have the Spark, Aveo, Orlando and a Gamma II CUV on the smaller end of the lineup?
    Isn't Aveo on Gamma II?

Jeez Chevy, how many crossovers do you want?
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Jeez Chevy, how many crossovers do you want?
    I'm not clear where a Gamma II CUV would fit in relative to the Orlando, since the latter was reported yesterday to offer seating for 7.

I do like the idea of consistency in styling within a brand, which would make a baby Enclave and baby Traverse cool (although isn't that the Equinox?).

Speaking of Equinox... ah smack, you're right - this is confusing.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information