Buick Cascada configurator up and running - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Buick Cascada configurator up and running

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

Re: Buick Cascada configurator up and running

I dunno - seems kinda tight to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Seems like another mediocre effort from Buick. Average power, average rather dated looks, high price and goofy equipment options and package restrictions probably mean slow sales.

Banned
    Fishing with Zora and Ferdinand. LOL!!! The Z Man just pulled in a helluva Yellow Tail.. Let's Eat
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    Seems like another mediocre effort from Buick. Average power, average rather dated looks, high price and goofy equipment options and package restrictions probably mean slow sales.
    NO.. its not. It actually is a pretty nice package for the money and considering, and I don't think anyone bothered to check, the PONTIAC G6 Convertible waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2007-2009 was coming in at GT 2dr Convertible $29,150/$32,300

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,021 Times in 2,324 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MiatsoCi View Post
    NO.. its not. It actually is a pretty nice package for the money and considering, and I don't think anyone bothered to check, the PONTIAC G6 Convertible waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2007-2009 was coming in at GT 2dr Convertible $29,150/$32,300
    Well, that was a hardtop but I agree. The base Camaro convertible starts at $32k.

Banned
    Fishing with Zora and Ferdinand. LOL!!! The Z Man just pulled in a helluva Yellow Tail.. Let's Eat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Well, that was a hardtop but I agree. The base Camaro convertible starts at $32k.
    To be honest U are saying that the Hardtop made it worth it to a person who HATES HT Convertibles. In my OPINION.. if its a convertible, its sexy as hell as a SOFT-TOP. Yes.. .I always though the Cadillac XLR would have been even better looking as a softtop.

Seriously.. could this be THIS sexy.. with a hard top?? I don't think so

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

I had one a few weeks ago for the week to review if your interested my review is here http://kts350.com/2015/09/06/2015-ho...ascada-review/.
    I didn't mind it and it really does look good specially with the top down.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kts350 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-25-2015),dannyg (09-24-2015)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Go build yourself a '16 Verano. I did on a convenience group, everything but white is $395 according to what shows up when you scroll through the colors. Maybe this will end up the same. GM cheaping out on us to get more money out of the customer is what it looks like to me.
    I was actually thinking the same thing....what's with the color upcharges all of a sudden? A few years ago, it was a couple select colors that cost more. Then it became a little bit more. Now, they only offer white as a "free" option? This reminds me of the airline industry nickel and diming the hell out of everyone.

Before you know it, you'll have to pay extra for a second key fob.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

Quote Originally Posted by mp11477 View Post
    I was actually thinking the same thing....what's with the color upcharges all of a sudden? A few years ago, it was a couple select colors that cost more. Then it became a little bit more. Now, they only offer white as a "free" option? This reminds me of the airline industry nickel and diming the hell out of everyone.
    Before you know it, you'll have to pay extra for a second key fob.
    Seems every car maker is doing these days and usually only give 1 or 2 colours that are free, had a Range Rover last week to review and metallic paint was $1400
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I went over the specs a bit more closely.

The Premium lists front and rear park assist, which to me implied there was no park assist (only rear view cam) on the 1SV. Not correct, 1SV still gets rear park assist. So the Premium trim only adds front park assist.

The Premium lists automatic headlights with tunnel detection. 1SV still gets automatic headlights. Premium is only adding "tunnel detection".

The front and rear air deflectors are fairly inexpensive - a few hundred pounds in the UK. I suspect Buick dealers will sell them for $400.

So after thinking things through, and noting that it really IS loaded as a base model... it might be able to sell 5000 units.

Especially if the configurator proves to be wrong about the color palette. If they purposely block off all but two colors from being available on the 1SV they will catch flack. It's one thing to charge extra for almost all colors, other manufacturers do that as well. But to not even allow you to pay extra for those colors, without stepping up another $3,000, is quite shady.
    Current rides:
    2018 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2011 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Past rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT, 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

13. The Following User Says Thank You to briandors For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-25-2015)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

What does that have to do with it? VW sales are not in the same league with Buick sales here. Maybe they got rid of it because it was doing anything to bolster their overall sales. The Cascada is in addition to a 1/4 million Buick sales and 1/2 million GMC sales...
    EOS has a lot to do with it. It shows that a premium-ish, small-ish, convertible priced around $37,000, doesn't have a huge market in the USA and must be executed perfectly.

I'm not sure why you are comparing VW and Buick sales. In 2014 VW sold 367,000 vehicles in the US. Buick on the other hand sold 229,000. That ALONE doesn't make one or the other better fitted to succeed with a convertible priced in the mid 30s.

After checking the specs more closely and looking at the outgoing 200's pricing structure as one of the reviewers suggested, I'm not quite as bearish on the Cascada as I was originally. I don't think they will languish on lots with $6000 rebates. On the other hand, comparing it to the 200 is not a wise move. The last couple years of 200 convertible sold poorly. Bad exterior design language, mediocre car underneath the covers, priced too high.

They really do need to clarify the whole color situation. Are we really stuck with white or blue, unless we want to spend $36,990? I would hate to be a salesman that has to explain to a customer looking for black or silver that those are extra cost paint colors AND to have the privilege of paying extra for them, you first need to cough up another $3000.

If that happens..... here's how consumers will feel:
    GROUP A - will feel they are being taken advantage of, but cough up the extra dough anyway and buy a Premium trim
    GROUP B - will settle for white or blue, not love the color, and tell all their friends it was the best color they could choose without paying another $3000, leading to bad word of mouth on Buick sales tactics
    GROUP C - will feel cheated and walk away from the dealer, irritated, and not come back
    GROUP D - actually wanted white or blue and will be happy

Notice how the MAJORITY of Cascada shoppers will end up feeling cheated/annoyed by this.

Feel free to search for all my posts on Cascada over the years. I'm a fan who's been asking, and waiting for it, a long time. I'm glad it's coming and I just want to see it done right.
    Current rides:
    2014 Chevrolet Volt

Past rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT, 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by briandors View Post
    EOS has a lot to do with it. It shows that a premium-ish, small-ish, convertible priced around $36,000, doesn't have a sufficient market in the USA to make it worth doing.
    With all the market analyzing GM does.. if there isn't a reason to sell it here, then they will stop selling it. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they are doing it at all, but while its here.. those who want it can enjoy the ride.

I'm not sure why you are comparing VW and Buick sales. In 2014 VW sold 367,000 vehicles in the US. Buick on the other hand sold 229,000. That ALONE doesn't make one or the other better fitted to succeed with a convertible priced in the mid 30s.
    Buick on the other hand is, for all intents, a part of GMC.. and vice versa. That makes those numbers a weee bit different now doesn't it. Again.. even if one excludes vehicle in GMC's line that have no real similarities with Buick, the actual and OFFICIAL Buick/GMC, run by the same manager, sold in the same dealerships, named as the same sales channel.. outsells VW handily.

Its reason for selling the vehicle in the U.S. is evident.. more sales.. no convertibles in their line-up.

After checking the specs more closely and looking at the outgoing 200's pricing structure as one of the reviewers suggested, I'm not quite as bearish on the Cascada as I was originally. I don't think they will languish on lots with $6000 rebates. On the other hand, comparing it to the 200 is not a wise move. The last couple years of 200 convertible sold poorly. Bad exterior design language, mediocre car underneath the covers, priced too high.
    So most of this back and forth between us is completely pointless because its based on U not looking over the specs closer the first go round?

They really do need to clarify the whole color situation. Are we really stuck with white or blue, unless we want to spend $36,990? I would hate to be a salesman that has to explain to a customer looking for black or silver that those are extra cost paint colors AND to have the privilege of paying extra for them, you first need to cough up another $3000.
    Admittedly we are in agreement. While I have no issue with paying for what I want, and normally go top of the line anyway, I do have a hard time with potentially having to move up in trim level if I weren't going to originally.. just for a color.

If that happens..... here's how consumers will feel:
    GROUP A - will feel they are being taken advantage of, but cough up the extra dough anyway and buy a Premium trim
    GROUP B - will settle for white or blue, not love the color, and tell all their friends it was the best color they could choose without paying another $3000, leading to bad word of mouth on Buick sales tactics
    GROUP C - will feel cheated and walk away from the dealer, irritated, and not come back
    GROUP D - actually wanted white or blue and will be happy

Notice how the MAJORITY of Cascada shoppers will end up feeling cheated/annoyed by this.

Feel free to search for all my posts on Cascada over the years. I'm a fan who's been asking, and waiting for it, a long time. I'm glad it's coming and I just want to see it done right.

Then go buy one. I would think in this day and age a convertible like this would run in the $40K range if U were an "all the options" kinda guy like myself.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

With all the market analyzing GM does.. if there isn't a reason to sell it here, then they will stop selling it. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they are doing it at all, but while its here.. those who want it can enjoy the ride.
    I don't quite agree with this part; there's the extra cost to design and market these vehicles. I DO agree that they compliment each other fairly well, but there's certainly an added cost in having them sold under two different brands. Still great volume for both, but it's not a simple A+B.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Although I know Buick needs models for their line-up, I would much rather have seen GM focus efforts on the much rumored Cadillac ATS Convertible. It would have been a better seller and more profitable. We've had the ATS Coupe out a while now, and an ATS Convertible would have re-ignited interest in that model.

The Cascada just seems to have awkward proportions, in my opinion, but I wish them well selling it.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyEldo View Post
    Although I know Buick needs models for their line-up, I would much rather have seen GM focus efforts on the much rumored Cadillac ATS Convertible. It would have been a better seller and more profitable. We've had the ATS Coupe out a while now, and an ATS Convertible would have re-ignited interest in that model.

The Cascada just seems to have awkward proportions, in my opinion, but I wish them well selling it.
    The thing is... They didn't need to focus at all. They just had to import

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

1SV trim still only shows white and blue. Two colors.
    Current rides:
    2014 Chevrolet Volt

Past rides:

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information