GM Effectively Names Canada its Global Homeroom for Advanced Vehicle Software Dev.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM Effectively Names Canada its Global Homeroom for Advanced Vehicle Software Dev.

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

GM Effectively Names Canada its Global Homeroom for Advanced Vehicle Software Dev.

General Motors Canada announced today, along with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, it will bolster engineering and software development efforts in Canada with a 700 job strong hiring initiative.

The work in question will focus on autonomous driving software and controls, connected vehicle tech, active safety and vehicle dynamics technology.

In addition GM Executive Vice President, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain, Mark Reuss announced a new Automotive Software Development Centre in Markham, Ontario, as the Oshawa Tech Centre is already bursting at the seams with people.

Today’s announcement shouldn’t be viewed as a General Motors initiative with the support of the Canadian and Ontario governments–but a push by the Liberals to make Canada “the most inviting jurisdiction on the planet for transformative innovation,” starting with General Motors.

Canada is a hotbed of tech research and development—Silicon Valley is coming up here and plucking talented people, the University of Waterloo is one of the top STEM universities in North America, and Canada has already played host to the incubation of numerous technologies found on the Chevy Bolt.

continued on the homepage
    Last edited by GM Insider News; 06-10-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    GMI News Editor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

Re: GM Effectively Names Canada its Global Homeroom for Advanced Vehicle Development

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tone For This Useful Post:

GM Insider News (06-10-2016),roy219 (06-11-2016)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Re: GM Effectively Names Canada its Global Homeroom for Advanced Vehicle Development

Well, one ofthe biggest challenges for self driving cars is getting them to function properly in the snow...so they can test them in non-snowy conditinos 8-9 months per year and get a good 3 months with snow on the road.

Metro Toronto gets about 45 inches of snow a year (on average, some years more). But it is less than 2 hours to Barrie to the north, where they usually get double what Toronto does. Lets see if that is where there research leads.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

"In choosing Canada to be the home base for its Global Centre for Advanced Vehicle Software development, GM is affirming the skills, the ingenuity and the immense potential of Canada's workers." - Justin Trudeau

The guys over at TTAC are upset I insinuated it's taking over from Warren, I'm not, that's what the PM said- and Canada is leading the charge on software
    Last edited by GM Insider News; 06-10-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    GMI News Editor

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Tuques and beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

kmacleod (06-11-2016),paul8488 (06-10-2016)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,847 Times in 4,724 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I guess nobody told them about SoHo?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden SS V 2008 Atomic Green

Re: GM Effectively Names Canada its Global Homeroom for Advanced Vehicle Software Dev

And GM "effectively" named GMH its global home room for RWD. How's that working out? For GM AND GMH.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Re: GM Effectively Names Canada its Global Homeroom for Advanced Vehicle Software Dev

I'm sure subsidies and tax breaks were involved to get these jobs.

At the end of the day - it does nothing to save the 2500 jobs in Oshawa and the production and spinoffs that go with it. GM needs to commit to Oshawa the way taxpayers committed GM with a 2009 bailout.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information