Is GM About to be Swallowed by the Dieselgate Maelstrom?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is GM About to be Swallowed by the Dieselgate Maelstrom?

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

Is GM About to be Swallowed by the Dieselgate Maelstrom?

Rumors have been swirling for months that GM's arm in Europe, Opel, would be implicated in the dieselgate scandal-- just over the weekend serious allegations took flight that Opel does in fact use defeat devices in two diesel models.

Opel has been summoned to appear in front of a German Transport Ministry investigative committee this week to answer claims that its cars are capable of skirting emissions laws.

Der Spiegel reported last week the Opel Astra was found to contain software that will deactivate emissions control systems when the outside temperature is either below 20 degrees Celsius or above 30 degrees Celsius. Additionally it was discovered the emissions systems do not work when engine speeds exceed 2400 rpm; the car is moving faster than 145 km/h; or ambient air pressure is less than 915 millibar, indicating an elevation ofmore than 850 meters.

Spiegel claims the software was detected by investigating the specific motor controls, as well as observed discrepencies between the lab tests at TUV Nord in Essen and on road testing.

Opel is playing a game of semantics here; their official response being we do not use software*"which determines whether a car is subjected to an emissions test." However the effect is ultimately the same, exhaust treatment is only operational during testing.

Meanwhile in the Netherlands, RDW, Dutch authority which issued EU type approval for the Opel Zafira Diesel, is considering a recall and a possible, but unlikely, loss of approval.

Where the situation gets muddy is when you look at EU type approvals.

Yes, the rules state*“the use of defeat devices that reduce the effectiveness of emission control systems shall be prohibited,” but at the same time the rules also state the prohibition shall not apply "when the need for the device is justified in terms of protecting the engine against damage or accident and for safe operation of the vehicle.”

Effectively automakers can drive a bus through a loophole large as that, simply by stating an engine could be damaged while operating in certain ambient temperatures with the emissions controls operating. It's as simple as that.

Unfortunately until the the regulations are tightened up the manufacturers will continue to exploit loopholes.

Effectively the industry is operating under the old adage "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying"-- if one automaker refuses, another won't, handing them a competitive advantage.

Call it the Lance Armstrong defense...
    GMI News Editor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: Is GM About to be Swallowed by the Dieselgate Maelstrom?

Maybe Opel, not GM. Hype much???

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minnfang For This Useful Post:

oldmember2 (05-16-2016),vanshmack (05-16-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang View Post
    Last I checked Opel is the defacto European arm of General Motors, or did I miss a press release?

EDIT: In case you forgot, the new Cruze is getting the 1.6 diesel from Europe-- it was co-developed by Opel and GM http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-german-words/
    Last edited by GM Insider News; 05-16-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    GMI News Editor

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GM Insider News For This Useful Post:

'Vette Dude (05-16-2016),1958carnut (05-16-2016),Al63240 (05-16-2016),doh (05-16-2016),Envoy4Life (05-16-2016),Extreme4x4 (05-16-2016),jalberda (05-16-2016),mgescuro (05-16-2016),richmond2000 (05-17-2016),supraracer (05-16-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 Times in 2,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Lets hope they get this worked out before Chevy and the Cruze gets drug into the mess as well.

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Gm's team of lawyers must make a killing with how busy they are kept....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigdog For This Useful Post:

carbarrister (05-18-2016),GM Insider News (05-16-2016)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    Last I checked Opel is the defacto European arm of General Motors, or did I miss a press release?

EDIT: In case you forgot, the new Cruze is getting the 1.6 diesel from Europe-- it was co-developed by Opel and GM http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-german-words/
    Last time i look , This is America USA. The USA follow better and stronger Emission laws .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oldmember2 For This Useful Post:

kmacleod (05-17-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,903 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Quote Originally Posted by oldmember2 View Post
    Last time i look , This is America USA. The USA follow better and stronger Emission laws .
    The US' emissions laws are much stronger than the EU's

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

kmacleod (05-17-2016),oldmember2 (05-16-2016)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Ya, and GM would fold if they no longer sold a diesel Cruze.

Thanks

Ya, and GM would fold if they no longer sold a diesel Cruze.
    Couple it with the "accidentally" higher fuel economy figures of the Lambda triplets and one must begin to ask these questions. https://www.gminsidenews.com/articles...ed-crossovers/

When VW did it, everyone was all for lynching, but now that its GM, our answers are sarcasm and so what?
    GMI News Editor

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GM Insider News For This Useful Post:

'Vette Dude (05-16-2016),377Z (05-17-2016),dratnol (05-17-2016),jalberda (05-17-2016),Sal Collaziano (05-18-2016),WaterBoy1 (05-18-2016)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The issue is how much will it cost to fix if the problem exists. There is no Opel money and GM money, it's all GM's money that will have to pay for this.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Der Spiegel reported last week the Opel Astra was found to contain software that will deactivate emissions control systems when the outside temperature is either below 20 degrees Celsius or above 30 degrees Celsius. Additionally it was discovered the emissions systems do not work when engine speeds exceed 2400 rpm; the car is moving faster than 145 km/h; or ambient air pressure is less than 915 millibar, indicating an elevation ofmore than 850 meters.

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE??????????
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,913 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Don't panic!

The high emissions issue is affecting all manufacturers in Europe - they all cheat, most of them more than VW, but their cheats don't technically break existing rules - different to VWs situation in the USA.

Opel are already making changes to their cars, some being made available for retro-fit on existing models, so they won't be unduly bothered, at least no more than any other manufacturer.

The 1.6 Whisper diesel is developed primarily by Opel (from it's Fiat origins) but I presume that Chevrolet would have done all the ECU programming to ensure it meets the US regulations - so if there is an issue it'll be down to Chevrolet, not Opel.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-16-2016),GM Insider News (05-16-2016),kmacleod (05-17-2016),oldmember2 (05-16-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,913 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE??????????
    Operating only from 20-30 C is a farce in a climate with average temperatures of 10 or below!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

GM Insider News (05-16-2016),jalberda (05-17-2016)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Couple it with the "accidentally" higher fuel economy figures of the Lambda triplets and one must begin to ask these questions. https://www.gminsidenews.com/articles...ed-crossovers/

When VW did it, everyone was all for lynching, but now that its GM, our answers are sarcasm and so what?
    I agree that the Opel diesel thing is an issue, I just think that the thread title "Is GM About to be Swallowed by the Dieselgate Maelstrom?" is a bit 'fantastical'.

Regarding the VW debacle, I'm not for lynching them. I think the whole thing is hilarious. The stuffed shirt Germans and the American 'save the planet' types have had the whole thing blow up in their face - awesome.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minnfang For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-16-2016),AusCalais (05-17-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,904 Times in 4,825 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

What bothers me is they violated the spirit of the law, though they complied to the letter of the law. The problem is that if the market leader, VW, was flat out cheating what option did any of the lesser brands have? Most of the other manufacturers must have known (I think a few articles were posted saying that GM did suspect), why didn't they turn in VW? To compete with VW's cheats there are really only two choices - make their own cheat or turn in VW. I would've ratted out VW in seconds.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

ekseubert (05-17-2016),GM Insider News (05-16-2016)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information