2016 Silverado 1500 Press Release

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Silverado 1500 Press Release

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,427 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

2016 Silverado 1500 Press Release

2016 SILVERADO: THE NEW FACE OF STRONG
    2016 Silverado designed to build on Chevrolet’s truck momentum
    Sept. 24, 2015

DALLAS – The new 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brings muscular designs and new customer-focused technologies to the most dependable, longest-lasting family of full-size pickups on the road.

The new Silverados make their public debut today at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas.

“The new 2016 Silverado will build on the Chevy truck legacy of dependability,” said Sandor Piszar, marketing director for Chevrolet trucks.

“New muscular front end designs, sculpted hoods and signature LED lighting accents reflect Silverado’s strength and dependability, which have helped make Silverado the fastest-growing full-size pickup brand this year.”

Other changes for 2016 will include expanded use of 8-speed automatic transmissions, updated available Chevy MyLink with support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and additional safety technologies.

New designs feature advanced lighting, strong Chevy Truck DNA
    Chevrolet designers used advanced lighting technology to help create new Silverados that show their Chevy Truck DNA while looking like no other truck on the road.

Advanced lighting allowed Chevrolet designers to create more expressive forms, integrating the lights into the sweeping horizontal elements and deep grille inserts. Turn signals and brake lamps wrap around the corners of the truck for a more streamlined look.

The new designs provide a unique look for each Silverado trim level, and let customers chose a look that more closely fits their personalities.

For example, the Silverado WT features chrome horizontal grille elements, black grille inserts, and compact high-intensity discharge headlamps. LT and LTZ Silverados feature chrome grille elements and bumpers, while Z71 models have a monochromatic appearance. Silverado High Country features chrome horizontal bars and unique grille inserts, set off by body colored bumpers.

The muscular front end designs also feature a dramatically sculpted hood that helps give the new Silverado the strong presence that differentiates full-size pickups from other types of vehicles.

All trim levels feature premium lighting with LED signature daytime running lamps and park/turn lamps. LED fog lamps are available on LT and standard on LT Z71.

LTZ, LTZ/Z71 and High Country models feature LED technology for all lighting, including LED headlamps, daytime running lights, fog lights, park/turn signal lamps, and taillamps.

Advanced connectivity for work or play
    Silverado customers are among the top users of the connectivity offered by available OnStar and 4G LTE Wi-Fi. For 2016, Silverado will be available with support for Apple CarPlay, which projects select iPhone features (iPhone 5 and later) on the available MyLink display in a smart, simple manner.

This integration of phone and vehicle allows drivers to make calls, send and receive messages and listen to music from the touchscreen or by voice via Siri, helping drivers keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

Using CarPlay is simple. A “Projection” icon on the MyLink screen, visible when a phone is not connected, changes to indicate “CarPlay” when a compatible phone is connected via a USB. Compatible apps need to be downloaded to a phone before using, and Apple’s privacy statement and terms of use apply. Data plan rates may also apply.

CarPlay-supported apps include Phone, Messages, Maps, Music and compatible third-party apps. A full list of those apps can be found at Apple.com/ios/carplay.

Silverado models with the available 7-inch color MyLink also will support Android Auto.

Advanced safety and convenience features
    The new 2016 Silverado 1500 offers safety features such as Forward Collision Alert, Lane Keep Assist and IntelliBeam high beam assist.

The 2016 Silverado is also available with a remote locking tailgate for convenience and security. Wireless phone charging is available on LT and LTZ double cab and crew cab models with available bucket seats, and it is standard on High Country.

Silverado High Country also will be available with power articulating running boards, which extend to enhance access to the cab, and can also swing rearward for easier access to the bed.

Time-tested high-strength steel, advanced V-8 engines
    The new 2016 Silverado 1500 builds on the legacy of the most dependable, longest-lasting full-size pickups on the road.

Silverado features a fully boxed high-strength steel frame and a body structure that make extensive use of high strength steels, as well as roll-formed steel beds, which are stronger and lighter than conventional steel.

Customers can chose from three advanced EcoTec3 engines. They build on the legacy of Chevrolet small block truck engines, while incorporating advanced features to enhance power and efficiency.

All three engines feature direct fuel injection, continuously variable valve timing, and cylinder deactivation, also known as Active Fuel Management, for improved power and efficiency. All switch to four-cylinder mode under light-load conditions.

Silverado’s standard 4.3L V-6 is SAE certified at 285 horsepower and 305 lb-ft of torque, the most torque of any standard V-6.

The 5.3L V-8 is certified at 355-horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. Offering an EPA highway estimate of 23 mpg, it is the most fuel efficient V-8 in any pickup.

Silverado’s available 6.2L V-8 is certified at 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, the most power and torque of any light-duty pickup. This engine also offers the highest towing of any V-8 light-duty pickup, up to 12,000 pounds.

For 2016, the new 8-speed automatic transmission that is standard on 6.2L-equipped Silverados will be standard on LTZ, LTZ/Z71 and High Country Silverados with the 5.3L V-8.

The new 8-speed provides a numerically higher first gear ratio to help drivers start off more confidently with a heavy load or when trailering. Its wider overall gear ratio spread also enables numerically lower rear axle ratios, which reduce engine rpm on the highway.

Building on strong Chevy Truck momentum
    Chevy Trucks are on a roll, with pickup sales up 33 percent so far this year.

“Our strategy is pretty simple,” said Piszar. “Build trucks that meet the real needs of truck customers. The right designs. The right sizes. The right powertrains. The right materials. The right technologies.”

Chevrolet intends to strengthen this momentum with the new 2016 Silverado 1500, a new diesel engine for the hot-selling midsize Colorado, and new special models for Silverado and Colorado.

Since the introduction of the all-new Silverado 1500 in the spring of 2013, Silverado sales have grown by double digits, on a percentage basis, each year. Through August, Silverado sales are up 17 percent compared with the same period last year.

Growth in Silverado sales have been accompanied by a strong Colorado launch, which has made Colorado the fastest-selling pickup in America. Colorado sales so far this year have passed the 59,000 mark in the U.S. alone.

Higher resolution pics are located here: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...y.php?cat=1401

I will be glad when Chevy gets their full HD video posted to their YouTube channel.
    Last edited by NoStopN; 09-24-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Adding photos.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (09-24-2015),Dequindre (09-24-2015),ocmdog (09-24-2015),roy219 (09-24-2015),TruckMan (09-24-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 782 Posts

Re: 2016 Silverado 1500 Press Release

Doesn't look tough to me.
    The Sierra and Ram look tough.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve333 For This Useful Post:

WaterBoy1 (09-24-2015),Z Fury (09-24-2015)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,427 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Likes: LED tail lights, single row of LEDs in headlights for lower trims, LED fog lights
    Dislikes: double row of LEDs for higher trim levels

Overall, with these new pics, I like it more than just the previous single photo Chevy showed us.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (09-24-2015),minnfang (09-24-2015),TruckMan (09-24-2015)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,008 Times in 3,387 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    Doesn't look tough to me.
    The Sierra and Ram look tough.
    This is the kinder gentler Pick up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

steve333 (09-24-2015)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I officially like it. The first pic we were shown had me liking it then firmly on the fence, I really doubted I would sway back to the like it side.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 eb110americana's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM
    For 2016, the new 8-speed automatic transmission that is standard on 6.2L-equipped Silverados will be standard on LTZ, LTZ/Z71 and High Country Silverados with the 5.3L V-8
    I was really expecting a bigger rollout for the 8-speed, possibly replacing the 6 speed by now. I suspect that relegated to only the rare 6.2L and top-of-the-line LTZs and High Countries, this will mean something like a 10% take rate.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eb110americana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    For 2016, the new 8-speed automatic transmission that is standard on 6.2L-equipped Silverados will be standard on LTZ, LTZ/Z71 and High Country Silverados with the 5.3L V-8
    I was really expecting a bigger rollout for the 8-speed, possibly replacing the 6 speed by now. I suspect that relegated to only the rare 6.2L and top-of-the-line LTZs and High Countries, this will mean something like a 10% take rate.
    To offer 8 speed on all trucks GM would have to lay off the UAW members that build the, 6 speed, to buy the ZF unit. That was never going to happen...

Thanks

The chrome crossbar in the grille makes a world of difference to me. Looks much better than body-colored. That being said, I still like the chrome bumpers, but these trucks do flow well with the chrome grille and body-colored bumpers. I would like to see more pics in different colors and configurations soon. All-in-all, it's a nice update to keep things fresh.
    2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD High Country
    2019 Buick Regal TourX
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

I really like it, all 3 versions. I think I like the GMC slightly more, it is more aggressive or tough looking, but I would gladly own one of these based on looks. I think I'd go for the 6.2L. If they ever fix the rear head restraints, I could actually consider one. Outside ones are too low and fall down if bumped by my head and the center one is missing like on all GM vehicles (almost).
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    plane

Hahahahaha. You've been pwned. This is obviously fake.
    The Silverado has stacked headlights and has forever.
    Nice try though.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

2016 Silverado Website Live

The 2016 site has gone live. Still only limited info but nice views of the different trim levels and a short video showing the trucks:

http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-silverado.html

Also a huge amount of info here (much more than GM had in their press release):

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...rado/2016.html
    Last edited by sklunk; 09-24-2015 at 02:30 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sklunk For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (09-24-2015)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    To offer 8 speed on all trucks GM would have to lay off the UAW members that build the, 6 speed, to buy the ZF unit. That was never going to happen...
    The GM 8 speed unit is not the ZF 8 speed transmission. The GM units is built in house.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1963stingray For This Useful Post:

Chevy Ryan (09-24-2015),eb110americana (09-24-2015),NeverEnough (09-24-2015),NoStopN (09-24-2015),oldmember2 (09-28-2015),TruckMan (09-24-2015),wallus13 (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The lens flare from the super-bright running lights does a nice job of hiding how busy this new front end is. The grill isn't bad but the lights are awful. Individual dot LEDs were cool when Audi did it 10 years ago. Now they look cheap and lazy.

The Z71 is by far the worst offender here. The body color cross bar isn't doing it any favors. The blacked out grill and High Country chrome actually don't look too terrible. But...

Overall the design is now very disjointed. The front doesn't go w/ the rest of the truck. They needed to carry the busy design language throughout.

Fingers crossed for the next gen coming sooner rather than later.
    Park the s**tbox and come with me.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZR2BlaZeR2 For This Useful Post:

camaro_freak (09-25-2015),richmond2000 (09-24-2015),steve333 (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    This is the kinder gentler Pick up

The newest full-size pickup trucks, especially highline models like Silverado High Country, Sierra Denali, etc., are the automotive status symbols for 21st century yuppies who probably won't use most of their "trucky" capabilities.

Basically, these trucks are to yuppies today what BMW E30 3-Series was back in the 1980s.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roy219 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (09-24-2015),ocmdog (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Will the 6.2L be optional in the WT/LS trim levels now?

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast