2006 Impala FWD to RWD Conversion - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Impala FWD to RWD Conversion

Walking
    Thanks

Re: 2006 Impala FWD to RWD Conversion

I have something that might inspire you.
    go to youtube, in the searchbox, type in "rear wheel drive monte carlo"......, there will be a pic. of a white monte carlo.. click.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

for what that would cost in $$$ you could buy a new corvette.
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

Walking
    Thanks

I need help with a transmission problem, not sure how to post my own question. I have a 2006 impala ss, It has about 79,000 miles on it now, bought it with 5000 miles on odom. We went on a 600 mile trip this past wekend and car acted like it was skipping once or twice. Put gas treatment in it and came on home. Next day went out to go somewhere and got about two mile down road and ar won't go. Transmission won't even attempt to go into any gear. Any suggestions anyone?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dav305z View Post
    There is a lot of potential to make the W-Body better, but it's just not a rear-wheel-drive platform. Why don't you avail yourself of all the suspension upgrades available, which range from upgraded swaybars and bushings to heavy-duty control arms and coilover struts?

Just seems like a lot of effort and aggravation to build a rear-wheel-drive car that likely still won't handle as well as a G8 does right out of the box.
    b/c yeah, u can make the FWD chassis handle better with that stuff, but nobody offers rear sway bars for this thing and its aggrivating when u go into a turn and front stays flat, but the rear of the car still wants to through its weight around. The rear sway bars are rediculously thin as well as the rubber bushings give way too much....its almost pointless having it there. With the suspension mods i have, it handles better a lot better than it did, but its still not satisfying for me. Which is why a RWD setup would be ideal.

And after researching a little, i found that they offer complete powertrain and drivetrain packages that are taken from C5 Vettes.....yeah...lol. It includes every thing except the body....motor, motor accessories, tranny, driveshaft, rear diff., all the way down to rims and tires.....8-9 grand total, but if i fabbed everything, id probably spend that much anyway.
    2006 Chevy Impala LT 3.5L V6 - CAI, Flowmaster Custom Dual exhaust setup, Jet Performance Chips, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, EBC Slotted F&R Rotors and EBC Kevlar pads, KYB AGX Adjustible shocks, Red Duplicolor painted Brake Calipers....STS Single Turbo Kit soon to come...Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garner1998 View Post
    I need help with a transmission problem, not sure how to post my own question. I have a 2006 impala ss, It has about 79,000 miles on it now, bought it with 5000 miles on odom. We went on a 600 mile trip this past wekend and car acted like it was skipping once or twice. Put gas treatment in it and came on home. Next day went out to go somewhere and got about two mile down road and ar won't go. Transmission won't even attempt to go into any gear. Any suggestions anyone?
    Wow....im sorry man, but as u probably already guessed, ur tranny is done. You have a 100k mile powertrain warranty...use it lol. I know for a fact that the 06+ Impalas all have issues with tranny's overheating due to insufficiant cooling of the tranny fluid, especially the SS. GM actually recommends buying an aftermarket transmission cooler for it b/c the little auxilary cooler on the side of the radiator is not good enough. I've gotta take mine in too b/c its slaming into gear from a stand still almost as if its not downshifting to 1st gear when it comes to a stop and its slide shifting for about half a second before it catches a gear when it downshifts on acceleration. I changed my fluid and it smelled slightly burnt before i changed it....smell urs and i can almost garauntee u that it smells burnt as well......they also have torque converter failure problems too, so look out for that too.
    2006 Chevy Impala LT 3.5L V6 - CAI, Flowmaster Custom Dual exhaust setup, Jet Performance Chips, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, EBC Slotted F&R Rotors and EBC Kevlar pads, KYB AGX Adjustible shocks, Red Duplicolor painted Brake Calipers....STS Single Turbo Kit soon to come...Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by RWDImpalaSS View Post
    Wow....im sorry man, but as u probably already guessed, ur tranny is done. You have a 100k mile powertrain warranty...use it lol. I know for a fact that the 06+ Impalas all have issues with tranny's overheating due to insufficiant cooling of the tranny fluid, especially the SS. GM actually recommends buying an aftermarket transmission cooler for it b/c the little auxilary cooler on the side of the radiator is not good enough. I've gotta take mine in too b/c its slaming into gear from a stand still almost as if its not downshifting to 1st gear when it comes to a stop and its slide shifting for about half a second before it catches a gear when it downshifts on acceleration. I changed my fluid and it smelled slightly burnt before i changed it....smell urs and i can almost garauntee u that it smells burnt as well......they also have torque converter failure problems too, so look out for that too.
    That 100k warranty did not come until 2007 GM models.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

Walking
    Thanks

Sell your car and pick up a '05-'06 GTO 6.0 RWD 6A or 6M.... much better starting point for around $15K.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

b/c yeah, u can make the FWD chassis handle better with that stuff, but nobody offers rear sway bars for this thing and its aggrivating when u go into a turn and front stays flat, but the rear of the car still wants to through its weight around. The rear sway bars are rediculously thin as well as the rubber bushings give way too much....its almost pointless having it there. With the suspension mods i have, it handles better a lot better than it did, but its still not satisfying for me. Which is why a RWD setup would be ideal.

And after researching a little, i found that they offer complete powertrain and drivetrain packages that are taken from C5 Vettes.....yeah...lol. It includes every thing except the body....motor, motor accessories, tranny, driveshaft, rear diff., all the way down to rims and tires.....8-9 grand total, but if i fabbed everything, id probably spend that much anyway.
    Just floor the gas and stand on the brake when you want to go round a turn, then you'll have some fun

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks

I definitely want to see the progress on this build!

Walking
    Thanks

Hey guys, i need a little help.....

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Impala LT w/3.5L V6 (213hp 215lb-ft torque). I have a STS single turbo kit, KYB AGX adjustible shocks, Eibach pro-kit springs, Comp Cams magnesium Rocker Arms, and manual boost controller, and HP Tuners dyno tune (300whp, 320lb-ft @ 7psi).

I want to do a RWD conversion on it, but i cant find a Transmission that bolts up the the bell housing bolt pattern on the 3.5L V6. The 4L60-E is the closest i could find within the GM selection of transmissions.

The current FWD 4T65 holds up to 400lb-ft of torque, so controlling the power i have is not a problem, it still shifts fine, but obviously, torque steer is annoying. I wanna make a "Real" Impala.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.
    aye man i have a 2009 Chevy Impala Lt w/t 3.5L V6 wonder if you could let me know any of the places or websites you ve got ur aftermarket parts cuz i have not be able to find anything for my car

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I fail to see the point of going through with this.

Sell the damn thing and buy a G8 GT if you want a RWD car.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

on another board I have a friend in Detroit that converted his 2004-2005 Monte SS to RWD, but he changed Motor and Tranny, and used a F-Body Rear end. He used a Ls2 Motor, and Tranny from a GTO I think, then added the F-Body rear end. U can google the conversion and you will see a bunch of them.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Motors Man's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude go with your idea! I love seeing how all these backyard build up cars come together!. Sounds like alot of Negative Neds in this thread are looking for a car in a box and then will cry if the car doesn't come with fog lights!. If U have the know how,drive and determination make it happen!. U have me here in your corner rooting for unlike alot of these other lightweights that run anytime a little more than running their new car through a car wash.

Banned
    Thanks

You will need the 4L60E from an S-10 with a 2.2 litre engine this will have the same bolt pattern.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    I fail to see the point of going through with this.
    If you have to ask nobody can explain the "why" too you.

Go for the conversion, I was thinking about doing the same thing with a '98 Bonneville I had.
    In my case I was planning on a 3800/5sp from a F-body and rear suspension from a Cadillac Catera.

If you do start the project start a thread about it so we can watch the build.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information