Why GM and Holden are failing in Australia.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why GM and Holden are failing in Australia.

Thanks

Why GM and Holden are failing in Australia.

This from a friend of mine in Victoria, now doing the rounds of social media.

Not a happy camper, and i can understand why Holden are rapidly losing market share in Australia.

After receiving a recall notice from Holden to replace a faulty ignition for my Diesel Cruze I booked my car in to Poyser Holden Epsom well in advance for the recall and for a 90,000km service. I was informed at the time of the call that the parts for the recall would be definately available. As I work full time in Melbounre my partner took the 45 minute drive to be at Epsom at 08:00am for what I was told would be a 3 hour service. At close to 3:00pm the car is finally ready where an invoice for the service is presented for the amount of 1350.25. At the same time my partner is told that the recall is not done as we do not have the parts. My partner questioned why the cost for the service was so high to be given no real reason. At around 4pm I learned about the cost and the recall not being completed and was very angry. I contacted Poyser to discuss how they can justify this amount and to ask why the recall was not completed and why nobody bothered to contact me prior as I would have cancelled the service for when the recall was ready. During this time they were unable to find the details of my service resulting in me having to say I will call back another time, I was pretty livid! In the meantime I have contacted two other car dealers that provide car servicing and for the same model car and same work was quoted less than half the price of what I was charged today. I have turned my cars over every 5 years and have stuck with Holden however today I experienced the worst service ever and a service bill that is a total rip off!. No apology for wasting my partners time who changed working plans to help me out. I am really disappointed, you've lost me Holden.
    Holden Customer Service (sic) was contacted and are now defending the dealers actions.
    Needless to say, he wont be buying another Holden.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to V-Car For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (08-11-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,913 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: Why GM and Holden are failing in Australia.

Are dealers for all other brands perfect in Australia? That crap service seems to be common in the UK across all brands.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,385 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Are dealers for all other brands perfect in Australia? That crap service seems to be common in the UK across all brands.
    sounds about the same as I had with MY Pontiac in Canada BUT WILL SAY Toyota of NEW Westminster is WAY BETTER AND will work WITH YOU

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

GM Customer Service has always lagged behind everyone else (crappy as they may be) here in America. I'm assuming it's the same in Australia, by the headline.
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisGinNC For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (08-28-2016)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,581 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Some are good some are bad but lately Holden and Ford Service have been copping plenty on social media for incidents like this one

We received recall notice in the mail for my wifes Captiva months ago and told that we would be contacted around March for booking as parts were not yet available

It's August still to contact from Holden or the dealer
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

V-Car (08-12-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF

My parents' ordeal with that dreadful (but loved) Buick "Rendezvoodoo" was softened some by the good service from the nice folks at Crown Buick-GMC in Metairie, La.

Our sack o's--- Honda Odyssey left us stranded for the idontknowhowmanyth time in Baton Rouge one morning and I was very impressed with the local dealer, Team Honda, who seemed to bend over backwards to satisfy their customers. Superior Honda in New Orleans should take lessons... and also change its name.

We were returning home from a trip to Houston and a wayward owl smashed into my BMW and punctured the radiator. We were towed to the nearest dealer, Moss Honda-BMW-Mercedes in Lafayette, La. and were given the red-carpet treatment. Service par excellence...

Jaguars and Land Rovers are notoriously problematic, but the impeccable service and professionalism at Paretti Jaguar have impressed us.

Walker Volkswagen? Meh. Bergeron Volvo-Jeep in New Orleans? Meh.

South Point Volkswagen in Baton Rouge, Louisiana? May it, and all related personnel, burn in Hell. Such atrocious treatment by its staff that litigation was in order. And if the dealer wasn't bad enough, Volkswagen was. I will dance a jig when VW crashes and burns. Fork them AND the Pferde they rode in on...

I've had, generally, excellence service from dealers. Sales, on the other hand....
    Last edited by t-rexx; 08-11-2016 at 03:08 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

Local dealers whom I've had poor service with:

Sir Walter Chevrolet in Raleigh, NC
    Capital Ford in Raleigh, NC
    Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC
    Thompson Buick GMC Cadillac in Raleigh, NC
    Leith Autopark in Wendell, NC (Both Buick/GMC and Ford store)
    Steve Moore Chevrolet in Charlotte, NC
    Town and Country Ford in Charlotte, NC

I won't do business with any of them unless it's an absolute emergency. All of them, except Leith BMW (where my GF leased her car), have poor service AND sales departments.

On the flipside, I've always been treated well at these establishments:

Bobby Murray/Capital Chevrolet in Raleigh (although now owned by Capital, the same people appear to be in place)
    Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary, NC
    Hendrick Buick GMC Cadillac in Cary, NC
    Hendrick Southpoint (GM and Mercedes) in Durham, NC
    Crossroads Ford in Wake Forest, Cary, Sanford and Southern Pines, NC
    Performance BMW (owned by Hendrick) in Chapel Hill, NC
    Wilkinson Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac in Sanford, NC
    John Heister Chevrolet in Fuquay Varina, NC
    Leith Mercedes-Benz of Cary in Cary, NC
    Liberty Buick GMC in Matthews, NC
    Ben Mynatt Cadillac Chevrolet Buick GMC in Concord, NC
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisGinNC For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (08-13-2016),t-rexx (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

I had dramas getting the Santa Fe's glow plugs replaced under a service bulletin. Despite reminding the dealer each time I made the service booking (normally 10 days out), I keep getting the "sorry, the parts aren't in. We'll have them for you next time". After the third service and a long period of time they finally had the parts.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,957 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

It sounds to me like Holden has to take on a Start up Mentality and start building from the ground up. They Certainly have competitive products, but the whole experience has to be favorable to the customer. That might mean eating some looses to please the customer. Changing the culture of an old organization is a tall order but it can be done. They need to play up their Australian roots, admit their mistakes internally and build up from the ground. Opel has done it or is in the process of doing it. Emphasizing its a German company with roots in Germany that has made mistakes, but is correcting them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

isszy (08-17-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,913 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    It sounds to me like Holden has to take on a Start up Mentality and start building from the ground up. They Certainly have competitive products, but the whole experience has to be favorable to the customer. That might mean eating some looses to please the customer. Changing the culture of an old organization is a tall order but it can be done. They need to play up their Australian roots, admit their mistakes internally and build up from the ground. Opel has done it or is in the process of doing it. Emphasizing its a German company with roots in Germany that has made mistakes, but is correcting them.
    Opel can emphasisise it's German roots as it's still based in Germany - Holden can no longer emphasise it's Australian roots as it's now just a badge for an American company that imports cars from Korea and Europe - just like Vauxhall doesn't try to emphasise it's UK origin, Holden will need to emphasise the car quality.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

GolfBravo (08-28-2016),isszy (08-17-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

they have one competitive product

and its about to get canned

20. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

V-Car (08-17-2016)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty
    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    they have one competitive product

and its about to get canned
    My last 2 services have been cheaper than the capped price on the Holden website and the guy in the service department is always on time.

As for their sales, well to make it simple, I would be driving a new VFII wagon right now if they were worth their salt. Young guy didn't get back to me with numbers. Not even "I can't get to where you want, this is the best $$$ we can do".

So I've moved on.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    My last 2 services have been cheaper than the capped price on the Holden website and the guy in the service department is always on time.

As for their sales, well to make it simple, I would be driving a new VFII wagon right now if they were worth their salt. Young guy didn't get back to me with numbers. Not even "I can't get to where you want, this is the best $$$ we can do".

So I've moved on.
    The dealers seem to have given up

A lot of them are multi franchise operations and just move their focus to Hyundai

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    The dealers seem to have given up

A lot of them are multi franchise operations and just move their focus to Hyundai
    I think the next 18 months will be the most challenging time for Holden and its dealers ever.

There are some excellent world-class products coming over the next 2 years, some really really cool stuff. I hope by the time these hit the showrooms Holden will have some customers left, and that not too many dealers will go broke.
    Last edited by GolfBravo; 08-28-2016 at 11:12 AM.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Changing the culture of an old organization is a tall order but it can be done. They need to play up their Australian roots, admit their mistakes internally and build up from the ground.
    In 15 months time there won't be much of the current company left. Up to 95% of Holden's current staff will be made redundant in Q4 2017. My guess is that the corporate culture is the least of their worries right now.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information