GM Inside News Forum banner

WheelsMag - Opinion: Our obsession with dual-cabs is a problem

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  richmond2000 
#1 ·
This guy must have crept into my room and done some sort of mind extraction.

By Byron Mathioudakis, 11 May 2020 Opinion

It’s not so much an elephant in the room as dinosaurs in the driveway.

Anywhere you look, our roads are choking with dual-cab utes. Always popular, they now dominate, to the point where the best- and second-best sellers wear Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger badges.

Celebrated and lately even feted, they’ve become ingrained in our national psyche, in much the same way Holden and Ford utes (and for a brief period during the 1970s, panel vans) once were.

Transcending workhorse origins, the once-humble ute is now everything from a $100K status symbol to a rite of passage for P-platers seeking to break away.

Plus, car companies love them, too. More than one insider has revealed that they can be a licence to print money.

So, here’s my beef. The dual-cab ute’s newfound status reflects Australia’s slide from progressive to prehistoric.

Complete article : https://www.whichcar.com.au/opinion/the-problem-with-dual-cab-utes

#2 ·
I'm not sure why it's a problem?

From my side the reason why they're so popular is they actually get used by people to tow vans and campers around the country on and off road

There is a huge industry based around a campers and grey nomad society

As our population ages you find more and more people going the grey nomad route

Hence the popularity of imported US pickups that can tow even more

#9 ·
written by someone WHO DOESN'T "USE" their vehicle for more than commuting around

I 100% believe the TRUCK / DUAL CAB market has grown so much as sedans and NOW SUVS have gotten SO FOCUSED ON BEING efficient to the point they are nearly useless for ANY usage that is MORE then the daily work run
just look to the sales of boats / campers / utility trailers
OR try to book a campsite on a popular weekend - all "tasks" a 1980's Falcon / Malibu could handle with little effort BUT a modern car/suv can NOT even attempt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.