Toyota confirms October date for Altona closure

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Toyota confirms October date for Altona closure

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Japanese brand confirms Camry manufacturing shut down date.

31 January 2017

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...31-gu2iga.html

Toyota has allowed Holden to bow out as the last Australian car maker.

The Japanese brand*announced the official end*date for Australian*Camry*production, with the 3rd of October 2017 to be the final operational day of the company's Altona*facility in Victoria.

In the lead-up to the end of production Toyota has earmarked August for production of the last V6-powered*Aurion, with Camry hybrid production to wrap-up in September ahead of the final petrol-powered Camry in October.

The announcement comes two weeks after Holden confirmed that its local production operations will cease on the 20th of October 2017, leaving it as the last manufacturer to assemble a passenger car in Australia.

Toyota's closure date also falls just days before the Supercars Australia Bathurst 1000 race, which despite Toyota's lack of involvement in the event mirrors Ford's 2016 closure which drew criticism from local media as an attempt to minimise coverage of the shutdown.

The production forecast for the year sees 61,000 vehicles expected to be built ahead of the shutdown with 26,600 units scheduled to stay in Australia and 34,400 built for export.

The Altona factory will continue to run two shifts daily until the scheduled shutdown date. The Altona site will be retained by*Toyota*for "new and relocated functions" which the company is yet to outline.

As well as the end of Australian production Toyota Australia will consolidate its corporate operations with head office functions continuing at Port Melbourne while its*Sydney-based*operations will*be relocated by the 1st of January 2018.

"Our priority over the remaining months is to continue to support our employees in every way possible so that they are well prepared for the future," Toyota Australia President Dave Buttner said.*

"We remain extremely proud of our rich manufacturing history which spans over 50 years. Our employees are committed to producing vehicles of the highest quality as we work towards our goal of 'last car = best global car'."

Toyota's current workforce of 3900 people will be reduced to 1300 employees once the full production wind-down is complete.

The Toyota Camry will switch to fully-imported status for the 2018 model year as shown at the recent*Detroit Auto Show, with the*next-generation model*to be sourced from Japan with four-cylinder petrol, hybrid, and V6 engines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: Toyota confirms October date for Altona closure

34,000 exports will put a hole in the balance of payments. I hope the Government are prepared to wear the criticism when it comes.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    34,000 exports will put a hole in the balance of payments. I hope the Government are prepared to wear the criticism when it comes.
    Late last year I attended a speech by one of the Industry ministers and the theme of the speech was "Innovation and jobs". Anyway, when it came to the topic of the local (overall) manufacturing industry his words were along the line of "it's ok we're losing the car industry, do you know how much money we gave them to produce cars here? $500 million". He then went on to mention "And even though they going we now have two of them expanding their R&D here in Australia, so that's good thing and what we want".

Other than Ford which has expanded it's R&D here, I'm not sure who else he was talking about but it sure isn't Holden.

So they are happy to throw money at R&D and then see it get moved offshore for manufacturing and import the product back into Australia.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AceRimmer For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (02-02-2017),mikmak (02-07-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 579 Posts

I've argued in the past against developed countries clinging on to manufacturing jobs and that they should, instead, focus on attracting higher-paying engineering and design jobs. However, that was under the assumption that there is still some amount of manufacturing left; possibly in the higher end of the industry. When an entire industry leaves a country, though, you really do have to pause and take a hard look at what you may be giving up.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,400 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    I've argued in the past against developed countries clinging on to manufacturing jobs and that they should, instead, focus on attracting higher-paying engineering and design jobs. However, that was under the assumption that there is still some amount of manufacturing left; possibly in the higher end of the industry. When an entire industry leaves a country, though, you really do have to pause and take a hard look at what you may be giving up.
    That assumption would also hold that all folks have engineering aptitude in a country.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    One of the reasons you need to have manufacturing is so that designers can see how to design products that can actually be made - sure software can tell you some things but experienced eyes are much beter. It is also a good training area. Most of the certification people for ISO9001 etc came from the manufacturing areas, initially they were from the Government factories that were closed or privatised (like telecom workshops, aircraft factory ammunition factories etc). I work in electronics and the number of projects we see that need to be 'productionised' tells me one thing. The students that getting degrees need to spend some time in a factory that actually builds things and preferably they need to see large scale and small scale operations which are very different.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (02-03-2017),mikmak (02-07-2017)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    That assumption would also hold that all folks have engineering aptitude in a country.
    You may be right but factories are not just filled with engineers they can have tradesmen and women people who run MRP system, import/export experts etc. Everyone needs to have aptitude and more importantly experience.

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 579 Posts

One of the reasons you need to have manufacturing is so that designers can see how to design products that can actually be made - sure software can tell you some things but experienced eyes are much beter. It is also a good training area. Most of the certification people for ISO9001 etc came from the manufacturing areas, initially they were from the Government factories that were closed or privatised (like telecom workshops, aircraft factory ammunition factories etc). I work in electronics and the number of projects we see that need to be 'productionised' tells me one thing. The students that getting degrees need to spend some time in a factory that actually builds things and preferably they need to see large scale and small scale operations which are very different.
    Which is why I said "that was under the assumption that there is still some amount of manufacturing left". The sorts of things you mention don't require all manufacturing to be in the same country as the designers/engineers etc. but do benefit tremendously from having some manufacturing.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

^^^Exactly. Even the term engineer is often used specifically to refer to design engineers only. In reality, there are other technical personnel which need to operate in close proximity to both design and production. Yes, you can fly between facilities and use video conferencing for updates, but it's ****ing tiring.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information