A suggestion for the future Aussie auto industry

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion for the future Aussie auto industry

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,857 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

A suggestion for the future Aussie auto industry

Invite BMW to build (or take over) an auto assembly plant in Australia to build previous generation 5-series models with a different brand, lower price than their current range - the engineering is easy as they're already RHD and will meet Australia emission regulations since they usually mirror EU regs but a few years behind - the tooling can simply be shipped from Germany once the new model is going there.

This would provide a mainstream-priced RWD/RHD car just at the time when Australians are bemoaning the shutdown of Ford and GM - the Australian government could add in some incentives like every other country in the world does - but that might be expecting too much.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

2b2 (05-02-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: A suggestion for the future Aussie auto industry

Creative, I like it. BMW's Seat/Skoda.
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Invite BMW to build (or take over) an auto assembly plant in Australia to build previous generation 5-series models with a different brand, lower price than their current range - the engineering is easy as they're already RHD and will meet Australia emission regulations since they usually mirror EU regs but a few years behind - the tooling can simply be shipped from Germany once the new model is going there.
    This would provide a mainstream-priced RWD/RHD car just at the time when Australians are bemoaning the shutdown of Ford and GM - the Australian government could add in some incentives like every other country in the world does - but that might be expecting too much.
    While it sounds like a good idea, there are lots of questions to be asked for such an idea, especially considering Toyota, Ford, Mitsubishi and General Motors have closed or announced their closing.
    What types of vehicles would you suggest producing? The rwd sedan segment has been shrinking there for a long time, while SUVs have become popular, small fuel,efficient cars have become popular, utes have been popular, trucks the same.
    How much would setting up such an endeavor cost t set up?
    Where would the money come from?
    Would you expect the Aussie Government to provide the money, or incentives when they just ended monetary support?
    Would you build economy cars there? Or just past-generation BMWs?
    Let's explore your suggestions

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

Here's the unfortunate truth: short of government incentives or a dramatic fall in the AU dollar or falling wages, it's tough to justify local production. And, given the size and maturity of the local market, the business case for specific product for that market is terrible. There are too many better opportunities in high growth markets to spend time on something like this.

Like where I live (Canada, which has a slightly bigger auto market), Australia will get whatever global product that is feasible. We're having a similar debate about auto subsidies and I think without them, local Canadian production will likewise dry up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tone For This Useful Post:

paul8488 (03-09-2015)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTS-V

To encourage local manufacturing and employment, Australia had a tariff on imported vehicles. After decades the tariff was eliminated and local manufacturing was no longer competitive against the low cost imports. It is unfortunate but I don't see any manufacturer returning to Australia given the state of its economic conditions.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Here's the unfortunate truth: short of government incentives or a dramatic fall in the AU dollar or falling wages, it's tough to justify local production. And, given the size and maturity of the local market, the business case for specific product for that market is terrible. There are too many better opportunities in high growth markets to spend time on something like this.

Like where I live (Canada, which has a slightly bigger auto market), Australia will get whatever global product that is feasible. We're having a similar debate about auto subsidies and I think without them, local Canadian production will likewise dry up.
    The fall in the Australian dollar makes every imported raw material or component CHEAPER than it was at a lower exchange rate. The only time the exchange rate matters is when exporting or repatriating profits (or losses if convenient)! Our product used to come from Canada - especially the Chrysler ones before local production started.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by carbarrister View Post
    To encourage local manufacturing and employment, Australia had a tariff on imported vehicles. After decades the tariff was eliminated and local manufacturing was no longer competitive against the low cost imports. It is unfortunate but I don't see any manufacturer returning to Australia given the state of its economic conditions.
    If the cost of shipping vehicles goes up or the shipping routes become embroiled in disputes (ie Korea) then that may change.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    If the cost of shipping vehicles goes up or the shipping routes become embroiled in disputes (ie Korea) then that may change.
    I think it would still require a change in the Governments attitute towards car manufacturing as well.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Yes you are right but it would most be circumstances force their hand to change.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    67 Pontiac 2+2 CV Mariner Turq

Don't you Aussies see you've committed suicide? Right here on the GM/Holden link you're talking about BMW taking over, you killed Holden buying Korean ****cans. I don't believe you understand business or you just have no love for the Australian cars. Sad as I bought the most expensive G8 and may buy an SS before Yuns go under. You have great cars. I too blame GM partly but it's the buyers who suck at knowing a great car when they flirt with subarus. Another boring **** car. You're not alone though Pontiac didn't die due to low sales. It died because our muslim traitor of a president demanded they kill it if they wanted the money. GM should have gone bankrupt & restructured w/o this dictator sob. Very sad, if enough Australians and other customers would demand GM keep Holden & back it up with purchases well that won't happen. The world car buyers are mostly idiots.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,389 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Sorry mate it wasn't the buyers that killed Holden or Australian industry it was a mix of clueless head office and clueless governments.
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

kts350 (03-09-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Is the supplier base not going to dry up and disappear? Would enough suppliers be able to justify staying around on one relatively low-volume vehicle? I like the idea, and have wondered out loud if Hyundai or Kia can't produce a more affordable version of their RWD sedans for Australia, but building a car in Australia appears to be a difficult proposition at this point with everyone else pulling out.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

I think the chances of getting anyone to build cars here again are none and buckleys, the current government doesn't want to support local manufacturing like other countries do and without that Government support it's even more expensive then it is with support.
    I heard mentioned GMI sometime ago that Holden could sell more Colorado's if they could get more but they have supply problems.
    I wonder how much of a difference to holden's bottom line would it been if GM decided to make them here instead of thailand.?
    Considering I read the other day that they are not going to upgrade the Thai plant now and are laying off workers.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by surgeont View Post
    Don't you Aussies see you've committed suicide? Right here on the GM/Holden link you're talking about BMW taking over, you killed Holden buying Korean ****cans. I don't believe you understand business or you just have no love for the Australian cars. Sad as I bought the most expensive G8 and may buy an SS before Yuns go under. You have great cars. I too blame GM partly but it's the buyers who suck at knowing a great car when they flirt with subarus. Another boring **** car. You're not alone though Pontiac didn't die due to low sales. It died because our muslim traitor of a president demanded they kill it if they wanted the money. GM should have gone bankrupt & restructured w/o this dictator sob. Very sad, if enough Australians and other customers would demand GM keep Holden & back it up with purchases well that won't happen. The world car buyers are mostly idiots.
    You're treading a fine line there champ. Please keep the school boy insults out of it.

Holdens best selling car is still the Australian made Commodore so you're pretty far from the mark in just about every respect. The Commodore is a great car, no doubt, that's why I put my money where my mouth is. But for some people it is too big. For some people it is too thirsty and for some people they prefer to follow the pack and buy an SUV irrespective of their needs. Other people bought smaller cars because they were big enough for an urbanised lifestyle.

The fact that you refer to us (reading the forum) as all of Australia, and that none of us know anything about business or don't have any love for Australian cars is clearly inaccurate.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

Commodoreman2000 (04-20-2015),kts350 (03-09-2015)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Sorry mate it wasn't the buyers that killed Holden or Australian industry it was a mix of clueless head office and clueless governments.
    and a less than co-operative AUD to USD exchange rate.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information