Submission to the Productivity Commission

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Submission to the Productivity Commission

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Submission to the Productivity Commission

Anyone else make a submission?

Here's mine.

Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

Commodoreman2000 (02-15-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,378 Times in 4,489 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Submission to the Productivity Commission

Productivity Commission? WTF? Is this a joke? It sounds like something out of 1984. Or the Soviet Union.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

^^^At the winning of the election last year, the new "Liberal" government (incase you weren't aware, Liberal is actually conservative in Australia) has gone on a commission binge to justify all the throats it's going to slit at the upcoming budget. Marked for review really means marked for death.

The Labor government had a party and left a bit of a mess. Their biggest issue was not managing things and spending money before it arrived. So now, "nothing is off the table", even things the promised not to touch. They more than doubled the debt ceiling "to prevent what happened in America from happening here" and come May they are ready to start chopping.

It's the "abbottoir" [sic] we had to have.

Hidden Content

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (02-12-2014),Commodoreman2000 (02-15-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Productivity Council = a lot of accountants who review decisions by a lot of accountants who know SFA about productivity. Alternatively you could describe them as people who try to audit something before it has been done (at least that is how it seems to me)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Productivity Council = a lot of accountants who review decisions by a lot of accountants who know SFA about productivity. Alternatively you could describe them as people who try to audit something before it has been done (at least that is how it seems to me)
    Indeed, it sounds like one of the ministries out of 1984

edit, damn, Neanderthal beat me

Anyway what is happening to the Australian auto production industry is sad but I don't think pushing taxpayer dollars could possibly improve lives of the population as a whole. Though in my own country Marchionne is asking for billions so we can have some junk minivans. It's really an unfortunate right mess that we have gotten ourselves into when this stuff starts becoming so common...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by Smaart Aas Saabr; 02-14-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    Indeed, it sounds like one of the ministries out of 1984

edit, damn, Neanderthal beat me

Anyway what is happening to the Australian auto production industry is sad but I don't think pushing taxpayer dollars could possibly improve lives of the population as a whole. Though in my own country Marchionne is asking for billions so we can have some junk minivans. It's really an unfortunate right mess that we have gotten ourselves into when this stuff starts becoming so common...
    The big problem I have with this whole issue is that politicians don't seem to acknowledge that auto manufacturing companies are training grounds for lots of people. Mechanical engineers leaving uni aren't worth much until they have worked at their 'trade' for a while. Electronic engineers similarly, theories are quite OK but until you have seen production happening their are a lot of things that you will get wrong when designing products. The subsidies to the industry could easily be looked at as training subsidies because to set up training centres to teach techniques that are used in volume manufacture would cost a lot of money. It can't all be simulated or rely on Youtube!
    Last edited by chinamonty; 02-16-2014 at 08:11 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

Commodoreman2000 (02-17-2014)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

So now the most obvious answer to the withdrawal from Australia comes to light and I am surprised we didn't all notice. South Korea and Australia are about to sign an FTA so Holden will get their GM vehicles from South Korea and some from Opel.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    So now the most obvious answer to the withdrawal from Australia comes to light and I am surprised we didn't all notice. South Korea and Australia are about to sign an FTA so Holden will get their GM vehicles from South Korea and some from Opel.
    Actually I mentioned it in my Ex Spurts commentary even though I think Japan is still our highest importer (whoops).

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak
    Those figures specifically for Australia were 388,985 produced vs. 988,269 sales. Our ratio of build to sale was so low, that even the United Kingdom were twice as strong.
    Conversely, we already had a free trade agreement with Thailand and their figures looked a little like this: 1,125,316 vehicles produced vs. 703,432 sales.

Thailand is now Australia’s greatest source of automotive imports, followed by South Korea. The Republic of Korea’s numbers are even more impressive: 3,699,350 produced, vs. 1,142,562 local sales. We just introduced a FTA with South Korea too, whom have an automotive production rate nine times our own.
    So any Australian product would have to compete against an industry 9x bigger than ours. That is specifically why Aus manufacturers could only build a unique or premium product with strong opportunities for export, to stay viable.

Hidden Content

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information