New Holden Astra goes on sale in Australia today — with an eye-watering price

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Holden Astra goes on sale in Australia today — with an eye-watering price

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

New Holden Astra goes on sale in Australia today — with an eye-watering price

THE first all-new Holden Astra in more than a decade goes on sale in Australia today — but it will come with an eye-watering price as the company sources more cars from Europe.

The iconic hatchback has returned to showrooms after the Holden Cruze ended local production last month.

The Holden Cruze automatic previously sold for as low as $19,990 drive-away but the new Astra hatch automatic starts at more than $27,000 drive-away — a staggering 35 per cent increase.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technolo...bac2a4410cd133

Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (11-07-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: New Holden Astra goes on sale in Australia today — with an eye-watering price

Article written by renowned Holden hater Dowling, but still ouch !

They have to get people through the door and convince them to pay $1-2K more than all of these:

Alfa Romeo Guilietta Progression
    Citroen C4 Seduction
    Kia Rio Si (or sport 3 door)
    Mazda 3 Maxx
    Subaru Impreza Premium
    Renault Megane GT-Line
    Hyunda i30 Active X
    Ford Focus Trend
    Nissan Pulsar ST-L
    Skoda Rapid
    Peugot 308 Access
    Volkswagen Golf

A Toyota Corolla SX is around the same price.
    Hidden Content
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,390 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Re: New Holden Astra goes on sale in Australia today — with an eye-watering price

My Wife is going to test drive one

The price is around thereabout what she wants to spend but if she doesnt like it we'll look elswhere
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

the base model Cerato s is going for 19,990 at the moment, other articles ive read Holden keep referring to it as a premium offering don't know how many people are going to take it as a premium car.
    The pricing maybe it's biggest hurdle and trying to get people to accept the base model is really worth it compared to the others.
    Although im waiting to see the full specs before I make any comparisons, I can blame my dad for this but I do have a soft spot for Astras.
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    3 on The Tree is back home Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,390 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by kts3502.0 View Post
    the base model Cerato s is going for 19,990 at the moment, other articles ive read Holden keep referring to it as a premium offering don't know how many people are going to take it as a premium car.
    The pricing maybe it's biggest hurdle and trying to get people to accept the base model is really worth it compared to the others.
    Although im waiting to see the full specs before I make any comparisons, I can blame my dad for this but I do have a soft spot for Astras.
    Holdens website has Astra at 25k drive away (manual) and up to 35k drive away (manual)

Midspec seems to be the sweet spot at 30k drive away (manual) for 1.6T which has a reasonable spec level and lines up around the same as the previous Cruze SRI when it first came out

I'm keen to also see exactly what the spec looks like when it hits showrooms my dealer reckons he'll have a couple of cars available early December at the latest

But that was nearly a month ago when I spoke to him

It may be worth waiting to see what the Cruze is specced at when it arrives as there doesnt seem to be a massive chasm between the two looks wise , but if it only has a 1.4T it's no sale according to the missus

It's been enough trouble getting to convince her that a 1.6T would have enough grunt
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

my missus has been the same when I've bought 1.6T cars home to review until she has been in them she was under the assumption if its under 2L it's not worth it.
    Waiting for the full specs hard to really compare things without them but I don't see the base model one selling a lot, given our market buys more autos 27K seems a lot compared to the rest. the mid spec ones could be where they get sales.
    Last edited by kts3502.0; 11-07-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

The prices will continue to rise if the exchange rate goes South after the election in the US.

Thanks
    My Ride

Depends whether the person who wins considers themselves the leader of the United States of America, or the leader of the Free World......
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,857 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Where's GM building these Holden Astra's - UK (Ellesmere Port) or Poland (Gliwice) ?

UK-built would be cheaper since the Sterling revaluation following the Brexit vote.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Where's GM building these Holden Astra's - UK (Ellesmere Port) or Poland (Gliwice) ?

UK-built would be cheaper since the Sterling revaluation following the Brexit vote.
    Poland I've heard,

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Cheaper? Compared to which country?

Over 80% of Astra Components are imported into UK.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Cheaper? Compared to which country?

Over 80% of Astra Components are imported into UK.
    And likely to get worse after Brexit when the tariff barrier goes up - since Vauxhall accounts for a third of GM Europe's sales, mostly built outside the UK, that volume is bound to take a big hit - will Opel survive it?

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Opel will surely survive it. But obviously they will have overcapacity problem again, and we all know what that means.

A friend of mine works for an automotive intelligence company in Germany, and the latest news is that Ford Europe are bleeding because of brexit, and they are forecasting a double digit % drop in their UK sales next year.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Opel will surely survive it. But obviously they will have overcapacity problem again, and we all know what that means.

A friend of mine works for an automotive intelligence company in Germany, and the latest news is that Ford Europe are bleeding because of brexit, and they are forecasting a double digit % drop in their UK sales next year.
    Of course, all Ford's vehicles are imported into the UK - as opposed to most by Opel/Vauxhall - a number of other brands have announced price rises in the UK because of the recent Sterling revaluation but Hyundai have announced they AREN'T increasing prices in order to gain a competitive edge.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

but Hyundai have announced they AREN'T increasing prices in order to gain a competitive edge.
    Instead they'll introduce a UK-only range: Toblerone edition.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information