Insignia VXR first impressions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Insignia VXR first impressions

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

Insignia VXR first impressions

It's amazing how things fall into place I was suppose to pick up an SRi Cruze this week but me being a bit of a dumbass mixed my booking dates up and the Cruze wasn't ready when I rocked up to get it, but it turned out better in the end instead having travel all the way across Sydney the next day to get the Cruze they fitted me into a VXR Insignia instead.
    Now my experience with an insignia a couple of years ago wasn't the best with it breaking down 2km out of the dealership and interior bits falling off onto my passengers, but this time I'm happy to say that my experience has been positive so far.
    I actually really like it so the fit and finish is great on it there's no rattles and noises on the inside, For the record it's a Holden press car with 10000km on the clock (I've seen how some journo's treat press cars) so it's probably lived the life of a 30,000km car.
    The recaro seats are comfortable it goes well the steering is nice direct the ride is a touch firm but its a VXR, I still haven't tried the VXR or Sport modes yet I'll leave that for the weekend.
    My mate pointed out it's actually wider then a VF but when you take into account the shape of the body it's no where near as roomy inside as expected although the front passengers are well catered for the back is not so good and yes same old issue rear legroom is rubbish.
    I can see where the new model given is going to be bigger has a place in the Holden line up, how ever I don't see it as a replacement for the Commodore.
    OH and 57K would be the reason they are not selling that's V8 Commodore money and after driving one the other week I know which one I would spend my 57k on.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kts350 For This Useful Post:

Butz (03-12-2016),GM Insider News (03-10-2016),paul8488 (03-15-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Insignia VXR first impressions

Had it for nearly a week now and I still like it a lot, had a brief hiccup yesterday with it showing a communication error for the aircon when you pressed a button(mind you the aircon was still working fine). But I stopped at a shop on the way home and it was right rain just needed a restart.
    One thing that could be better is the calibration of the auto it's not as smooth as the VF I had before it specially sometimes at part throttle and it's really quick to down change a gear at the wrong time.
    Overall great car.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,170 Times in 3,969 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by kts350 View Post
    Had it for nearly a week now and I still like it a lot, had a brief hiccup yesterday with it showing a communication error for the aircon when you pressed a button(mind you the aircon was still working fine). But I stopped at a shop on the way home and it was right rain just needed a restart.
    One thing that could be better is the calibration of the auto it's not as smooth as the VF I had before it specially sometimes at part throttle and it's really quick to down change a gear at the wrong time.
    Overall great car.
    Taking into account its an abused press car, that is impressive.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Yep the Auto can be a bit on the jerky side, but I did prod quite a lot. I've only done a sweary vid that didn't turn out he best. I'll tidy up another edition and post it. It's no V8 but it's a nice car to drive. Did you have the same one kts350?V6Technocat
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC AnotherSteve's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The ute's gone. Something Germ

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    ...It's no V8...
    Which is why I'm not buying another Holden.

And the lack of response to this post shows what the interest level in the VXR is. Take note, GM.
    Life is too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Yep the Auto can be a bit on the jerky side, but I did prod quite a lot. I've only done a sweary vid that didn't turn out he best. I'll tidy up another edition and post it. It's no V8 but it's a nice car to drive. Did you have the same one kts350?V6Technocat
    I thought I did but just checked the rego and it was slightly different same colour though.
    I gave it a bit at times, but found the auto a bit jerky just driving around normally and the upshifts in VXR mode were rather harsh sometimes, but I did enjoy it I would say if it had the same transmission tune as the VF it would be even better.
    I didnt think I would like it as much as I did couldnt fault a lot with it.
    Did you do a 0-100 time in it I did 5 the other night and for some reason couldn't break 8 sec suppose to do it in low 6s
    Last edited by kts350; 03-16-2016 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSteve View Post
    Which is why I'm not buying another Holden.
    And the lack of response to this post shows what the interest level in the VXR is. Take note, GM.
    I think pricing it virtually head to head with the V8 models doesn't help, I think take 40k off the price and it would fit perfectly in as a performance choice if you didn't want a V8 but then again it only has 30kw more then an SV6 and isn't really that much quicker.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC AnotherSteve's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The ute's gone. Something Germ

I think pricing it virtually head to head with the V8 models doesn't help, I think take 40k off the price and it would fit perfectly in as a performance choice if you didn't want a V8 but then again it only has 30kw more then an SV6 and isn't really that much quicker.
    When you look at the big engine, rear wheel drive alternatives the Commodore (and Ford Falcon) are priced most attractively. You really have to spend high 100K to start matching performance. And my boss, a dies in the wall AMG fan, was very impressed with my commodore when we took some stuff around his place. His reaction when he got in? "[email protected]#$, these are a lot better than I remember..."

So GM wants us to consider a forced induction car as a replacement. Guess what, there are lots of others, at a similar or better price. Given the bad taste they have left in my mouth they will have to do a lot more to win me over. At the end of the day I find myself asking if I really want a hot hatch in this stage of my life. I have dipped my toe (again) in Euro sedans...
    Life is too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I would say if it had the same transmission tune as the VF it would be even better.
    Had the latest VF SW update for the 6L80 installed. Changes are snappier, smoother up/down, but torque management isn't to my liking...

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSteve View Post
    So GM wants us to consider a forced induction car as a replacement. Guess what, there are lots of others, at a similar or better price. Given the bad taste they have left in my mouth they will have to do a lot more to win me over. At the end of the day I find myself asking if I really want a hot hatch in this stage of my life. I have dipped my toe (again) in Euro sedans...
    Agreed. Although if they bring a CT6, I might consider it.

Almost took a VXR for a test drive, but rolled out an R8 instead. No demo LS3 VF available.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information