Holden’s two-door sports car details due soon, could exist across several segments

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Holden’s two-door sports car details due soon, could exist across several segments

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

Holden’s two-door sports car details due soon, could exist across several segments

Be interested to hear Golfbravo's take on this.
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/513176/h...eral-segments/
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    3 on The Tree is back home Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Re: Holden’s two-door sports car details due soon, could exist across several segment

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/16...d-in-australia
    https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-leone-148689/

Most likely V8 implies more than likely RWD, so let's assume RWD. Could be a lot of things. If it's GLOBAL, it's not just a Holden. If it's "Australian" I highly doubt it will be small (Opel GT, itself sounding like a separate program).

I guess it COULD be a CT4, but I don't believe that will make ground for some time yet as the current ATS coupe only came out in 2014 or so. I doubt CT4 will see the light of day before 2020.

Alpha as-is I believe lacks RHD at all and Camaro has been summarily rejected, so it's not a Camaro. It's not an Avista, because that's another Camaro. It's not the C7 Vette, because it can't do RHD. It would have to be another RWD platform OTHER THAN ALPHA or Y-body that's currently under development, not yet fully baked, and capable of RHD.

It's one of three things:
    • It's a C8 Corvette.
    • It's a next-gen A2XX CTS that will also see life as a Chevrolet in addition to a Holden.
    • It's a larger Omega-based Cadillac coupe, that maybe COULD? see life as a Chevrolet in addition to Holden?.

I think it could be all three, and I think if we have an A2XX Commodore and an Omega-based coupe, that would answer the question of "Why can Omega shrink down to the size of a CTS if GM isn't going to use it for a CTS (A2LL)?"

I think it could be doing double duty as a large, Elmiraj-esque coupe (itself 205", its competitors in the 190"-197" range, well within the purview of something CTS-length) and a real Holden/Chevrolet muscle car along the lines of the more spacious Challenger (itself 197").

At Holden and Chevrolet, it'd be coming in as a coupe companion (Chevelle/Monaro) to the RWD sedan (Impala/Commodore). I don't believe it will be "Omega" so much as I believe it will be qualified as such by GM as A2XX and O2XX converge. Being on the larger side of the spectrum, I think it would end up qualifying as an "Omega" in technicality.

C8 Vette would just end up purely as a halo, much like it will end up at Chevrolet itself.

*if I had to guess though, I'd only be guessing on a C8 and an A2XX sedan.
    Last edited by sfbreh; 01-11-2017 at 03:29 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

Carbide (01-11-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Holden’s two-door sports car details due soon, could exist across several segment

That's why im hoping Golfbravo can shed some light on the subject, I can't think of anything GM has that fits the bill that has been RHd engineered.
    People don't really want an expensive sports car like a Vette from Holden most people would say they want something affordable that replaces the V8 Commodores we have now, we don't want a coupe with a small back seat we want a 4 door performance sedan which is why the Kia Stinger is creating interest.
    Last edited by kts3502.0; 01-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,287 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by kts3502.0 View Post
    That's why im hoping Golfbravo can shed some light on the subject, I can't think of anything GM has that fits the bill that has been RHd engineered.
    People don't really want an expensive sports car like a Vette from Holden most people would say they want something affordable that replaces the V8 Commodores we have now, we don't want a coupe with a small back seat we want a 4 door performance sedan which is why the Kia Stinger is creating interest.
    my thought would be a Omega based coupe and (hopefully)a sedan as a way to increase Omega's volume AND CT6's have shown up for testing/calibration work

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

All brand new. 3 brands.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GolfBravo For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (01-11-2017),richmond2000 (01-12-2017)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    All brand new. 3 brands.
    Well that's interesting.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 VF SSV Redline

And while we wait for GM to pull their finger out, everyone will have moved on to other things like the new Kia Stinger

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ams1983 For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (01-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

All brand new. 3 brands.
    ...explain with a little more detail?

Technically each car I've mentioned is all new from three brands. Anything Holden gets will not be a CADILLAC, but it will very likely exist at Cadillac in some form and MUST exist at Chevrolet or equivalent; Chevy makes the most sense to put the most space between Cadillac and its platform mate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

GolfBravo (01-12-2017)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,256 Posts

All brand new. 3 brands.
    On Alpha 2?
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

All brand new. 3 brands.
    Thanks mate any more info, I would have thought a 4 door would have made more sense

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information