Holden paid workers over the odds while accepting $2b in aid, says minister

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Holden paid workers over the odds while accepting $2b in aid, says minister

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Minister blasts Holden jobs deal record

29 January 2014
    By RON HAMMERTON
    http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C6F000C1E33

GM HOLDEN paid its apprentice workers double the award rate, provided a so-called “hardship payment” of $3750 in lump-sum hand-outs to employees and handed over human resource management to the union as part of a 2012 workplace deal, according to federal employment minister Eric Abetz.

In a scathing assessment of the doomed Australian car-maker’s workplace negotiating skills, Senator Abetz said Holden granted its workers 11 above-average wage increases since 1994 while accepting more than $2 billion in tax-payer funded assistance over the past 12 years.

Senator Abetz’s blast for the Australian subsidiary of General Motors came in a speech last night to The Sydney Institute in which he presented Holden as an employer that caved into unreasonable union demands.

Holden has announced it will close its manufacturing plants in South Australia and Victoria from the end of 2017, while also axing hundreds of engineering jobs and closing its Lang Lang proving ground.

The company blamed cost pressures in Australia, saying it was not viable to continue making cars here.

Senator Abetz used the speech to announce he intended to intervene in the battle to save the last remaining car-maker in Australia, Toyota, which is seeking a worker vote to amend work practices at its Altona factory in Victoria (see separate story).

The minister said that as shadow minister it was always disappointing to see “weak-kneed employers” caving in to unreasonable union demands then coming to him advocating workplace relations reform, “effectively blaming the system for their own shortcomings”.

“In some cases, their history of cave-ins was longstanding, even during times when the system was arguably more in their favour,” he said.

“As minister, this phenomenon is now even more frustrating. I have often wondered why they couldn’t just say ‘no’ from the outset?”

Senator Abetz quoted from a 2012 newspaper article on a Holden enterprise bargaining agreement deal in which workers would get a 18.3 per cent minimum income increase over three years “with a potential for that to rise to 22.3 per cent by the end of the agreement”.

Senator Abetz said this “landmark” agreement included:

* More than double the award rate for apprentices;

* A so-called “hardship payment” of $3750 in lump sum hand-outs to employees and up to 2 per cent of base salary “gain share” payment for each year of the agreement on top of the other wage increases;

* Handing over human resource management to the union, with a requirement that unions must be consulted prior to hiring casuals, contractors, or other supplementary labour and union officials having the right to participate in committees such as the Dispute Resolution Panel for performance-assessment disputes; and

* The spreading of hours of work and methods of working shifts may be altered only by mutual agreement between Holden and the relevant union representatives.

“Barely one month later, the then-prime minister Julia Gillard announced an additional $275 million in government subsidies for Holden, which she claimed would ‘guarantee’ its manufacturing operations in Australia until 2022,” Senator Abetz said.

“A rough back-of-the-envelope calculation suggested that much of Ms Gillard’s new funding would simply go towards paying for the excessive wage increases that her union friends had just convinced Holden to agree to.

“Some of us may well ask whether the two events were related, or simply one great big enormous coincidence.

“It is a matter of record that shortly after this agreement took effect, Holden realised that it had made a terrible mistake and was seeking to vary the agreement to reduce the size of the wage increases.”

Senator Abetz said that while a range of factors would have contributed to Holden’s decision to quit Australian manufacturing, “it’s very clear that the workplace relations arrangements created huge cost pressures on their operation”.

“To be frank, this is a prime example of what happens in IR club-style deals when unions make inappropriate claims and employers don’t say no,” he said.

“Both parties are responsible. And the taxpayer is called in to subsidise.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,390 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Re: Holden paid workers over the odds while accepting $2b in aid, says minister

Here we go

Another "union is bad , greed is good" story from the tory press
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

I read that today, plus the one were he wants to help Toyota. Bit late for attacking Holden when it don't matter no more. But I guess he wants to be seen doing something to big note himself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,390 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by Commodoreman2000 View Post
    I read that today, plus the one were he wants to help Toyota. Bit late for attacking Holden when it don't matter no more. But I guess he wants to be seen doing something to big note himself.
    I think it's more about diverting attention from how rubbish they are at governing
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Ho hum, there will be more of these ad time goes on. The truth is somewhere between the claims of the left and right wing trumpeters I guess.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

They are definitely significant increases though. Conversely, the workers DID bend over backwards to try and right the ship pre-announcement.

However, the government (no matter left or right) should merely be doing the cost benefit analysis for Australia, instead of trying to demonstrate why they know how to run an Automotive manufacturer.

It's the same as this Productivity commission which is spending more time about "what's everyone else doing" rather than, "it's worth this much to us and will cost this much to keep it on track".

Ask the wrong questions and you'll never find a solution. This is a post mortem on a patient in the Intensive Care ward.

They're trying to find an alibi, not a cure.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

AceRimmer (01-29-2014)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Here we go

Another "union is bad , greed is good" story from the tory press

Haven't seen a good union yet. They're jokes.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Anything incorrect, in the sizes of the increases, or the payouts, that were made. The facts all seem to be there, seems to be some stupid management decisions. Or am I missing something.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information