Holden fast-tracks VF Commodore debut

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Holden fast-tracks VF Commodore debut

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

And from carpoint.com.au:

Holden fast-tracks VF Commodore debut words - Bruce Newton
    V8 Supercar test day prompts early February reveal for Holden’s production VF Commodore

The reveal of Holden’s vital new VF Commodore has been pulled forward into the first half of February.

motoring.com.au understands the move has been forced by the first public test of the new-generation VF-based V8Supercar scheduled for Sydney Motor Sport Park (Eastern Creek) on Saturday, February 16.

The category’s official public test will also host the debut of the 2013 Ford FG Falcon, Nissan Altima and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG V8Supercars built to new Car of the Future technical regulations.

The question is how many days before the 16th will Holden reveal the new Commodore?

Complications to consider include the unveiling of the Commodore-based Chevrolet SS, the reveal campaign for which started with the unveiling of the 2013 NASCAR.

Holden also has to give its V8Supercar teams space to conduct launch events to reveal their new cars. It is believed any team wanting to reveal new sponsors before the production VF is shown will have to use VE sheetmetal and digital imagery.

That’s a particularly important issue for the dominant Triple Eight team, which rolls over from Vodafone to Red Bull primary sponsorship in 2013.

An examination of Holden’s past Commodore launch practises could be instructive here. The VE was unveiled on a Sunday at an embargoed event in Melbourne in July 2006. The idea was to capitalise on a softer news day and high Sunday TV news ratings to give Holden’s locally developed ‘billion dollar baby’ maximum exposure.

Doing that again would mean launching on February 10, or maybe even February 3. Any earlier would probably impinge too much into holiday season.

While the reveal date has shifted forward, the plan for the VF’s roll-out continues to include a mid-May first drive for media and a June on-sale date.

In between the first look and its appearance in showrooms, motoring.com.au understands the Commodore will be subject to a staggered roll-out of its many new features – just as VE was.

Even though VF is not an all-new car, it will present a thorough upgrade of the VE in areas as diverse as fuel economy, driver assistance systems and connectivity, as well as interior and exterior styling.

You can also expect to see a slimmed down range, reflecting the reduced sales expectations for once-dominant locally built large cars.

The VF Commodore is expected to be the last significant update before production ceases around 2017 and it is replaced on the Elizabeth assembly line by a vehicle – expected to be an SUV – based on a global architecture.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...re-debut-34182

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: Holden fast-tracks VF Commodore debut

A May or June introduction for Commodore means what for the SS? When will it be on sale?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Paving the way for a bench seat in the ute!

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

I see bench seats as a non starter. With all the safety gear embedded in these cars it would for one thing hurt it's ANCAP rating for no airbag being the biggest issue.
    Even NA have phased them out now except for Their full size trucks ( there are probably still a few out there so correct me if I am wrong) which for their sheer size make sense
    I do not think we will see them again in passenger cars.

Plus I dont want to take more than one passenger when I finally buy a ute. It is also great for being able to have a legit reason not to ferry an Inlaw

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    A May or June introduction for Commodore means what for the SS? When will it be on sale?
    I was told by my dealer it should be on sale here in late April early May but I would guess the boats will land with LHD by August then subsequent shipping to NA Dealers.
    Thats just a pure guess as I have read it will likely be a late Summer/early Autumn. I am shocking with seasons so have no idea re when your NA seasons fall let alone ours.

VF production starts in March so I would expect them to set aside a small percentage to left hand drive per week to build inventory to start shipping as I assume there will be media evaluation cars and still fine tuning of various mechanicals even at that late a stage. perhaps time to even GLUE A REAL NAME ON THE SS.
    Perhaps Chevelle. I see the naming of the car as a case of how people react once they finally see it. If enough people think it is befitting installing such a name as Chevelle as it fits the historic names image than so be it. However if people cry out with relief that it wasn't adorned with a heritage name than Super Sport or SS is probably the safest way to go forward.
    My take is it could be given a name right up to the point it even goes on sale. I know there would be confusion but whilst they are still in inventory it would be a matter of just installing a Name badge

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Hmmmmm I will be at Bathurst the weekend before this Supercar test I wonder if I should hang around NSW long enough to go to SMP (Eastern Creek) to Gets me a look at these new machines in action

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information