Holden Cascada impressions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Holden Cascada impressions

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

Holden Cascada impressions

I've had a Cascada to review for the alst week and just wanted to put up my impressions of it.
    Overall it's not a bad car it drives nice, the ride is smooth, it's fun driving around with the top down and the fuel economy wasnt bad at all.
    I found the wind shield in the boot today which basically turns it into a 2 seater and couldn't believe how much of the wind it kept out, it works really well.
    Now while it was pretty good on petrol it does feel like it could use more grunt, it feels sluggish off the mark and desn't feel all that exciting which is a shame as I found it handled rather nicely.
    Although the fact it weights more then a VF commodore might have something to do with it.
    A few downsides the dash is estentially the same looking dash from when Opels were selling cars here so it looks past it's use by date.
    The same with the Mylink its rubbish compared to Mylink in all the other Holden models, it's fiddly and damn pain in the ass to use, my sister jumped in it today and first thing she was WTF are all these buttons for it looks confusing. She is familiar with Mylink and went to change the radio station and couldn't believe it wasnt a touch screen and agreed its a pain in the butt to use.
    Holden might be lucky in the fact there isnt a lot of convertibles on the market to compete with and it's priced similar to most of them although it does miss a few things the golf gets but its a golf.
    The other thing I don't like is Opels colour range specially on the ones we are getting is crap compared to Holden, Hyundai, hell even Toyota.
    The only Colour i find attractive is Arden blue and it's a VXR colour.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 Times in 4,204 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Holden Cascada impressions

Thanks for the review! I assume most people buying it are looking for a leisure cruiser, hence the lack of power. Though it would be nice if GM included a more powerful option to attract a wider audience.

I wonder if the Mylink is the same as in my parents 2014 GMC Terrain, I find it to be extremely complex to use with a huge amount of buried commands and settings. The GPS in their car is very complex, and it doesn't help with my 76 year old parents constantly messing up the settings because they get frustrated and start pressing things.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty
    Hahaha my mother in law is the same. Can't wait a few seconds so she pushes another 10 random buttons to see if it does anything.

The mylink in the VXR Astra (which I assume is the same) gave me similar annoyance but not too the point of frustration. I like navigating by buttons though after a full week I didn't get the level a familiarity I needed to navigate quickly.

Mind you I was having more fun with the three pedals rather than the 300 buttons.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

kts350 (08-10-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Cars are getting frustrating for us older people. I saw a guy yesterday who was having trouble starting his car and i rapidly found that I couldn't help him. It was a foot on the brake and press a button jobbie and it didn't go. I suggested that he get out of the car, lock it and then get in in see if it had reset. That didn't work. He had to call a breakdown van. What would you guys have tried?

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Cars are getting frustrating for us older people. I saw a guy yesterday who was having trouble starting his car and i rapidly found that I couldn't help him. It was a foot on the brake and press a button jobbie and it didn't go. I suggested that he get out of the car, lock it and then get in in see if it had reset. That didn't work. He had to call a breakdown van. What would you guys have tried?
    If it was a Hyundai we had the same sort of problems you mentioned and there was a service bulletin released for it. Until it got fixed we had to give the brake a really, good hard, rapid pump a few times until the car realised you did have your foot on the brake. I understand it was a relay issue somewhere that needed replacing.

Actually - now I think of it there was a way of over-riding the push button start but i guess it would vary between car manufacturers.
    Last edited by AceRimmer; 08-09-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

My wife's (who is obviously the target demographic) of the Cascada was that it was too big and 'floaty looking' and the interior looked too dated. I pushed hard for her to a least have a look at one before she bought her Audi, but alas the local Holden dealer was not interested, not even returning a phone call enquiry, so the A3 cabriolet won by forfeit on Holden's behalf.
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

I used the sat nav once and it was a pain, and that basically so I could say I used it.
    Everyone that went in it and lots of people wanted rides because it was a convertible thought it rode rather well, but a few did comment that it felt slow. It didn't take long for me to learn the buttons but most people thought that the number of them were was quite intimidating at first look.
    I haven't really compared specs between the Cascada and other convertibles on the market but you kinda of expect stuff like keyless entry and start on car costing over 40K.
    The features it does have like the heated steering wheel and seats worked really good, the heated seats worked so good that last week I drove it home after work at 10:30 at night with the top down and I was warm enough on the trip.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information