Holden Announcment Timing

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Holden Announcment Timing

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,130 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Holden Announcment Timing

I thought the announcement (stay open or close) was to have been sometime early next year?

Was this official decision/decision moved up so that the Holden closure is under Dan Akerson's watch/leadership and not Mary Barra?

Giving Barra a clean fresh start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: Holden Announcment Timing

More likely it was just a result of our Treasurer Mr Hockey challenging GM to announce a decision -and losing.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think chinamonty is on to it.

As far as I can tell, I believe it's played out like this.:

* New government comes into power and holds back $500 million in car industry subsidies until a productivity commission reports in ~ 6 months.

* Holden needs to make a decision ASAP on it's replacements, and delaying development for 6 months is a serious issue. So they negotiate with Government to get a preliminary productivity commission report before Xmas, and also with the GM mothership to delay their next-gen product decision until then.

* Continued posturing in the media. Industry ministers (both Labor and Liberal) argue more needs to be done, Liberal cabinet draws a line in the sand and says, we're not opening up any more funds. Holden goes fairly quiet at this point, saying they'll wait for the preliminary productivity report - They'd rather the media die down and argue about something else.

* As the media heats up Holden and GM start to see the writing on the wall and starts preparing for worst case. I don't believe anything was really decided as yet, I think they were still hoping for a turnaround - especially since the liberals own industry minister wanted it to.

* News of preparation/planning leaks from GM-Mothership, Media picks it up and goes crazy with it. "Holden closing down! Decision has already been made! Documents have been drafted!"

* Holden play it down and repeatedly says no decision has been made. Meanwhile the Government is starting to look really bad at this point, and sees an opening to cut their losses and deflect blame to GM, they go for the jugular when Hockey goes ape**** on Q&A, They make it clear they are cutting ties and are no longer pro-automotive industry.

* Devereaux sees the writing on the wall, but the decision is not his to make so he continues doing his job, and even goes the the productivity commission to speak his mind. Meanwhile, GM-Mothership is getting the media, seeing the government turn aggressive. No point waiting for a turnaround or the preliminary report now, the decision is finalised.

* Devereaux gets the call Tuesday afternoon. Thinks "****, after this morning this is going to make me look like a liar." (probably of little consequence for him, but he'd have to think it right?), Preps and books a flight to Adelaide to make the announcement. If he is as genuine as he makes out to be, he may have had a hard time sleeping Tuesday night.

11/12/13 - Announcenment is made.
    Last edited by JPDyno; 12-11-2013 at 07:16 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JPDyno For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (12-12-2013),hq308 (12-13-2013),sfbreh (12-12-2013),VS Ute 5Litre (12-12-2013)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,382 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by JPDyno View Post

* New government comes into power and holds back $500 million in car industry subsidies until a productivity commission reports in ~ 6 months.

* Holden needs to make a decision ASAP on it's replacements, and delaying development for 6 months is a serious issue. So they negotiate with Government to get a preliminary productivity commission report before Xmas, and also with the GM mothership to delay their next-gen product decision until then.

* Continued posturing in the media. Industry ministers (both Labor and Liberal) argue more needs to be done, Liberal cabinet draws a line in the sand and says, we're not opening up any more funds. Holden goes fairly quiet at this point, saying they'll wait for the preliminary productivity report - They'd rather the media die down and argue about something else.

* As the media heats up Holden and GM start to see the writing on the wall and starts preparing for worst case. I don't believe anything was really decided as yet, I think they were still hoping for a turnaround - especially since the liberals own industry minister wanted it to.

* News of preparation/planning leaks from GM-Mothership, Media picks it up and goes crazy with it. "Holden closing down! Decision has already been made! Documents have been drafted!"

* Holden play it down and repeatedly says no decision has been made. Meanwhile the Government is starting to look really bad at this point, and sees an opening to cut their losses and deflect blame to GM, they go for the jugular when Hockey goes ape**** on Q&A, They make it clear they are cutting ties and are no longer pro-automotive industry.

* Devereaux sees the writing on the wall, but the decision is not his to make so he continues doing his job, and even goes the the productivity commission to speak his mind. Meanwhile, GM-Mothership is getting the media, seeing the government turn aggressive. No point waiting for a turnaround or the preliminary report now, the decision is finalised.

* Devereaux gets the call Tuesday afternoon. Thinks "****, after this morning this is going to make me look like a liar." (probably of little consequence for him, but he'd have to think it right?), Preps and books a flight to Adelaide to make the announcement. If he is as genuine as he makes out to be, he may have had a hard time sleeping Tuesday night.

Probably the most common sense post written over the last 24 hours

The rest of us have been ranting and raving and you come up with clear concise logic
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (12-12-2013),JPDyno (12-12-2013)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

The one thing I don't understand is how the deal announced last year has unravelled so quickly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1226306999030

From what I understand none of the government money was with held or any change of condition by govco (on either side) beyond drawing a line in the sand and not putting any extra govco money in.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotMike View Post
    The one thing I don't understand is how the deal announced last year has unravelled so quickly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1226306999030

From what I understand none of the government money was with held or any change of condition by govco (on either side) beyond drawing a line in the sand and not putting any extra govco money in.
    Eh... There was a significant change, The liberals went into the election saying they were stripping $500 million of car industry funding that labor used to lock in the industry, and would not change that decision, wouldn't promise that money. This of course, made GM re-evaluate their situation - that $500 million might not happen now - and then they come to a conclusion they needed a little bit more (about $80 million/year, according to articles today)... God knows why, I haven't kept a close enough eye on what other manufacturers are doing to pick it. Once liberals were elected, both labor and liberal industry ministers started becoming very loud on how the productivity commission would take too long, and how urgent it was to give good, consistent co-investment - It was only then, at the very last minute Tony Abbot started changing his tune a little "They won't get a cent more! no more handouts!!..... wait, that $500 million is still on the table, of course, if the productivity commission says you need it... but you're not getting a cent more than that!!"

Labor had them signing on the dotted line to stay until 2022... liberals gave them an opportunity to re-evaluate and get out by not promising to match Labors policies.
    Last edited by JPDyno; 12-12-2013 at 08:23 PM.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,256 Posts

Thanks JP, that's a much clearer story line.

Okay, so the government forced GM's hand while doing what governments typically do, eff everything up. Can't these decisions be undone? Isn't there any pressure that the people can put on their representatives?
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh... There was a significant change, The liberals went into the election saying they were stripping $500 million of car industry funding that labor used to lock in the industry, and would not change that decision, wouldn't promise that money. This of course, made GM re-evaluate their situation - that $500 million might not happen now - and then they come to a conclusion they needed a little bit more (about $80 million/year, according to articles today)... God knows why, I haven't kept a close enough eye on what other manufacturers are doing to pick it. Once liberals were elected, both labor and liberal industry ministers started becoming very loud on how the productivity commission would take too long, and how urgent it was to give good, consistent co-investment - It was only then, at the very last minute Tony Abbot started changing his tune a little "They won't get a cent more! no more handouts!!..... wait, that $500 million is still on the table, of course, if the productivity commission says you need it... but you're not getting a cent more than that!!"

Labor had them signing on the dotted line to stay until 2022... liberals gave them an opportunity to re-evaluate and get out by not promising to match Labors policies.
    It was reported as a done deal. LNP said they would not commit any more money. Lets not forget the little stunt the ALP pulled with the FBT tax totally out of the blue with zero consultation with ***anybody***

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information