Ford hosts $4m party as Holden workers vote on future

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford hosts $4m party as Holden workers vote on future

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Meanwhile, over at Ford Australia....

Ford and Holden have always been mortal enemies but at 1pm on Tuesday they will be at even greater odds.
    Ford will host a $4 million party in Sydney to launch the return of the iconic Mustang and reveal a sneak peak of the last Falcon - at the exact same time as the future of Holden will be decided in a solemn vote by factory workers in Adelaide.

Ford has booked out two sound stages at Fox Studios and invited 1000 dealers, VIP guests and the media for its biggest ever event in Australia.

The public isn't invited but Ford fans can watch a live webstream.

The $4 million spend for the two-hour blockbuster is more than double what it would spend on a motor show that runs for 10 days.

Ford is taking the unusual step of revealing up to 12 top-secret new models - some of which won't be in showrooms for at least three years - to reverse the perception that the car maker is leaving Australia when its manufacturing facilities close in 2016.

In a rare about-face Ford's global head of sales and marketing Jim Farley - who has been tight-lipped for two years when asked by media about the future of Ford Australia - has flown to Australia to reveal the company's secrets.

"There is a group of people who completely understand that Ford is staying and only our factories are closing, but there are others who believe Ford is leaving in its entirety," said the boss of Ford Australia Bob Graziano.

Ford has been in Australia since 1925 - and will have an historic Model T at the event to underline its longevity in Australia, as well as a preview of up to dozen new models.

The Ford Mustang due in Australia in late 2015 or early 2016 will not be revealed until next April at the New York motor show. But Ford is expected to confirm its comeback almost 50 years after the first factory-built right-hand-drive Mustang arrived in Australia.

Ford says it will increase the number of models in its Australian range by 30 per cent between now and when the last Falcon rolls off the Broadmeadows production line.

"Ford vehicles have been part of the automotive landscape in Australia for almost 110 years and we have manufactured here since 1925," Mr Graziano said at the May announcement of the factory shutdowns.

"We are proud of that history. Overall, we are changing, but our commitment to Australia remains strong."

The timing of the Ford and Holden events continues a series of unfortunate coincidences.

Holden workers were due to vote last Friday but it was delayed, creating today's clash.

When Holden unveiled the new Commodore to the media in May, Ford announced it was closing its factories.

This reporter is on Twitter: @JoshuaDowling

Fast facts: Ford Mustang

Debut: New York motor show, April 1964.

Movie highlights: James Bond's Goldfinger (1964), Clint Eastwood's Bullit (1968), Gone in 60 Seconds (2000).

Sales: More than 1 million were sold in the first 18 months. More than 8.5 million have been sold to date.

Today's Mustang: The flagship Shelby 500 GT powered by a supercharged 5.8-litre V8 is the world's most powerful V8 road car (662hp or 493kW).

Tomorrow's Mustang: It will adopt sleeker and more futuristic lines than the current model inspired by the 1968 coupe, and it will have a choice of turbo four-cylinder, V6 and V8 power.

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226695930553

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Re: Ford hosts $4m party as Holden workers vote on future

How is this a "party"? Its a press event much like the Corvette unveiling...or the Corolla unveiling...or the last Mustang unveiling in LA.

Talk about scumbag journalism.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks

Errr, memo to Josh Dowling.

Dont recall Bullitt as being a 'Clint Eastwood' movie, it starred Steve McQueen.

Plus, factory built RHD 65/66 Mustangs didnt arrive in Australia, they were imported LHD and converted at Fords plant at Homebush in Sydney.

Faux news!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

I would think that the Mondeo will grow a couple of centimetres in the next model which will make it closer to Falcon size. Can't imagine them bringing Taurus here when they already sell Mondeo.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    How is this a "party"? Its a press event much like the Corvette unveiling...or the Corolla unveiling...or the last Mustang unveiling in LA.

Talk about scumbag journalism.
    With no International Motorshow this year, next year or indeed the forseable future I say it's a party

Thanks

Umm also "global unveiling" much of this money would have come out of global Ford's marketing budget.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,362 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

From what we can see on the video (not much) it looks like Ford spent all the money on the 2014 Falcon revision on a set of DRL's and a Fusion/Mondeo nosejob
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks

Was anyone home in Detroit?

Mulally, Farley and Fields are all here.

I did like the Everest SUV version of the Ranger. Much better effort than the Cororado 7.

Plus the new Mondeo wagon is a smooth good looker.
    Last edited by V-Car; 08-13-2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added Mondeo wagon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V-Car View Post

I did like the Everest SUV version of the Ranger. Much better effort than the Cororado 7.
    Isn't it. Just a more mature design. Despite comparing concept to production

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    I would think that the Mondeo will grow a couple of centimetres in the next model which will make it closer to Falcon size. Can't imagine them bringing Taurus here when they already sell Mondeo.
    Totally agree. If they think Mondeo is a 'failed brand' they an always Fusion-ize it.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC AnotherSteve's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The ute's gone. Something Germ

I was dissapointed Nine News choose to run this story with the headline 'return of an icon' after the doom and gloom reporting of the Holden vote.

A thinly disguised ad for Ford, and I will not accept return of an icon. As much as I loved the early 'stang (and I'm in the minority in prefering the notch back over the fast back) I do not consider it to be an iconic car in Australia.

I guess we can look forward to more of this from the marketting wizards, as the Australian car industry collapses and we are flooded with cars designed for other markets (to put it kindly)...
    Life is too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

I wish car manufacturers would apply the same principles to marketing expenditure that they apply to parts suppliers. 4million for two hours is out-bloody-rageous. I am sure the advertising agency doesn't have annual cost downs! The Australain Government should make the Head Office of Ford refund to the Australian taxpayer 4 million. If they had spent that on marketing the Falcon then they may not have the situation they are in now which I am now sure they "engineered" at the behest of the American major shareholder.
    As the driver of a Ford product I am disgusted and having worked in the auto parts industry where cost downs etc are enforced I am doubly disgusted.
    I would not like to be at Holden if they find an excuse to blow 4 million on a two hour launch of anything that is imported!
    Last edited by chinamonty; 08-14-2013 at 03:30 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

I dont remember anyone having a problem when Ford hosted a Go Further event in Belgium last year?

This is just emotional journalism. There is no justifiable reason to not approve of this.

Remember Ford is still keeping design and engineering in Australia.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks
    So are GM gonna bite the bullet and make camaro RHD to compete with mustang in OZ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    I dont remember anyone having a problem when Ford hosted a Go Further event in Belgium last year?

This is just emotional journalism. There is no justifiable reason to not approve of this.

Remember Ford is still keeping design and engineering in Australia.
    Yes there is. 4 million is a lot of money for a two hour event of any sort especially when you have bleated to the Government for money to keep going! It is just wasteful.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information