Ethan Automotive

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ethan Automotive

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Ethan Automotive

The more I see of these guys the more I like. Their website is now live:

www.ethanautomotivelimited.com.au

God I hope it works out.
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Re: Ethan Automotive

The web site reads like a grade school kid's "I want to be an astronaut" essay.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

What should it read like at this early stage of a project?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,390 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

They Will need to import something one would think as Engines and transaxle enginering won't be cheap with those volumes.

Perhaps some tooling left over from the Ford/Holden Or Toyota facilities?

I'm interested how far they can go with such low volume i'm scared the car won't be affordable for most
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

The website is the first public confirmation of the plans.

These guys are not daydreamers, the management team is made up of ex-car company and component supplier management. They looked at the Holden Elizabeth plant but decided it wasn't viable, from what I understand they are looking at Mitsubishi's old Tonsley plant.

There is a lot of water to pass under the bridge before anything comes of this, but IMHO they are setting their sights at about the right level. They are also looking at buying an unused existing name for their cars - Pontiac has been considered but my money is on Elfin.
    Hidden Content
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,289 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I would assume the suppliers to Holden/Toyota/ford are not going to stay around for that level of volume UNLESS they also supply other makers like KenWorth AU

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

The old Tonsley Plant is no more. The latest news I read was they are looking at a greenfields site in the Edinburgh Parks precinct which is literally on the other side of the trainline from the Holden Plant. Construction due to commence in the 1st quarter of next year

Futuris is already situated on or near the site that is being proposed for a new facility and the volume is said to be a minimum of 30k annually but there has been mention of closer to 100k in the long term. A few other suppliers are in and around the vicinity and the land is run by Goodman who have built and leased to some big companies. including Coles, Detroit Allison, Camerons, Inghams, and a few big mining operaterations.

Rumour has it that they offered GM around 3/4's of a Billion dollars to buy Holden but it was rejected.

Ethan is looking to either ressurect a dead brand or create a brand new Australian brand and are currently going through the pro's and cons of either option and are not far off of workshopping ideas to potential consumers.

I've been following this rather closely and the website officially went live about a week after they had in depth discussions with the SA and Federal Governments.

they also have a Linked in profile and Facebook page and offices are due to open next month last I heard.
    Last edited by Commodoreman2000; 07-29-2015 at 01:34 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

I've suggested elfin in the past and other brands they could look at would be old British marques. If it goes that way my money would be an each way bet on Rover owned by JLR and currently dormant circa 2005, Austin or as a longshot Triumph.

I don't know many other British marques that would easily be used due to unknown ownership or complicated ownership status

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    They Will need to import something one would think as Engines and transaxle enginering won't be cheap with those volumes.

Perhaps some tooling left over from the Ford/Holden Or Toyota facilities?

I'm interested how far they can go with such low volume i'm scared the car won't be affordable for most
    They apparently already have access to a scaleable RWD platform and are planning an SUV (Mazda CX-5, Audi Q5 as a rough guide for size) a rwd sedan and coupe will arrive shortly afterwards.

they're targeting Mazda CX-5 pricing so mid 30k upto to perhaps high 50k

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC AnotherSteve's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The ute's gone. Something Germ

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    The web site reads like a grade school kid's "I want to be an astronaut" essay.
    Bit harsh...

First rule of writing is to write for your audience. This has been written for the average person, including those facing a daunting future due to the loss of manufacturing in South Australia. I think it meets its audience's needs.

This is being taken quite seriously in SA. While no-one is popping the champagne corks yet, the project is getting the considered approval of most who know of it.
    Life is too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine

Thanks
    My Ride

I would seriously consider buying one of their products, and assuming it is not butt ugly and keeps up with the competition.

I will be in the market again around 2018, although a sedan or coupe appeals to me more than an SUV.

There is still a very good supply chain infrastructure in place, and the timing of this helps the suppliers work out their medium term direction. Instead of going off to import garden ornaments as one of my customers who used to supply blow molded plastic did, they can see some continuation. They may even be better off, because over the last 10 years or so, Holden, Ford and Toyota ran cost reduction schemes with their suppliers, meaning that they had to reduce the cost of parts each year by a set percentage.
    Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

mikmak (08-02-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Commodoreman2000 View Post
    Rumour has it that they offered GM around 3/4's of a Billion dollars to buy Holden but it was rejected.
    Well if thats true, id like to know why they wouldnt accept it, maybe GM want to keep running up big losses here, they have pretty much killed the Holden name here and i cant see them ever being a top 3 company again for a long time.

Or maybe they just scared someone would show them how to run Holden properly and said no cause of ego, which would just prove that they are a bunch of female body parts.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick_VT For This Useful Post:

Commodoreman2000 (08-11-2015)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information