So I finally found a Trax and got to have a steer today. Only a quick test drive but got an ok feel of it. Just a few of my thoughts
- LTX is a good looking car - the base model is very poverty pack in appearance
- GM finally has put some thought into the interior. Lots of rubber lined nooks and crannies. The rear seats are actual fold flats too.
- The dash looks good; a much better colour palette than the Barina. Black and Chrome ftw.
- Reasonable space too.
- Engine is acceptable.
- Driving position has lots of flexibility.
- Parking sensors and rear camera
- Mostly good visibility but the A pillars are thick and rear vision limited by small window though this is largely fixed by the camera
- Seats have good sponging but I was sitting on them not in them, they lacked lumbar support too.
- "leather" doesn't feel that great
- Dash plastics while visually better are still hard all over
- Steering was too light at speed and lacked feeling.
- Access to the USB port limited to the dash nook and there wasn't a notch to let a cable out
- The tacho cluster doesn't sit well in its surroundings. Very circular block in rectangular hole. Legible though.
- It'll never be classed as sporty engine only adequate.
- Auto lever's button type manual mode.
- Not enough specification difference between the LTZ and base model past exterior touches. Needs climate control and push button start at least.
All up though I was impressed at the details included in the Trax. It felt solid and well put together and other than one of the car's upper glove box not sitting flush I couldn't fault the build quality. I still don't think it's specced high enough for the cost at LTZ level and the 1.4T would be appreciated. If they had those extra niceties of climate control and a proximity key I'd seriously consider the LTZ.