Can Holden's Seventh Boss in Ten Years Save the Brand ?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Holden's Seventh Boss in Ten Years Save the Brand ?

Thanks
    My Ride
    WRX Premium, GC8 WRX, BMW 318i

Can Holden's Seventh Boss in Ten Years Save the Brand ?

Ex-Toyota Boss is Holden's new CEO.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/motor...aad6cf407c0142

2017 Subaru WRX Premium S-Edition sedan
    White/Black, CVT
    2018 BMW 318i M Sport sedan
    Black/black, Auto
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, EJ22 short motor, VF34 turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, ECUtek reflash
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo
    2010 Holden Cruze CDX sedan
    Red/Black leather, satnav, camera, diesel auto
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: Can Holden's Seventh Boss in Ten Years Save the Brand ?

Just facts :
    =========

GM is not General motors now, they are special motors now (they want just 2 brands like Toyota and Honda ) Buick survived because its big in china, GMC survived because it a another trim of chevy (no products of its own ).

At this moment Holden is just a regional brand and no presence outside Aus,

The main GM markets are LHD (Left hand drive ) markets and GM already got rid of RHD brands and exited RHD markets.

AUS is a small market ( may be if suzuki want to buy holden ,i think they will sell in a minute ) and with less numbers/money.

There is virtually no car manufacturing in AUS ( every one imports ) GM dont have another place to import RHD cars and manufacturing is expensive.

Now what you think ? will the brand last for 10 years ? GM will be wanting Chevy to get the place of Holden ( even chevy, they need to make RHD cars or import from some partner who makes it , just search to know and seems "GM not selling on southafrica also" ) .

Best options :
    Traditional ideas:

Sell Holden to suzuki or hyndai or psa
    Partner will a RHD car company and import and market as Holden
    Get more money from Govt and run it another 5 years and then do same .

Positive ideas :
    Convert the brand to a Lead technology/engineering brand ( say EVs like polestar brand of volvo )

Lobby Govt to change the RHD to LHD. - this is the best option , if this works, you will have lot nice options on and once the world go for drive automation etc you will be able to enjoy same.

RHD = left-hand traffic or right hand drive
    LHD = Right-hand traffic or Left hand drive.
    Last edited by uvikrama; 07-18-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,585 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

If you think they will change to LHD just to satisfy GM you're nuts

Best option is to give Holden its own off shore factory and allow Holden to be the brand to sell into the UK and SA , this is exactly what Hannenberger wanted to do with Holden

It won't happen but if it was implemented would take about 10 years to get sorted

putting chev in place of Holden in Australia wont solve their problems

Selling Holden might but honestly GM need to get into RHD markets and not be so soft just cutting and running from everything thats a little different to the north american market

Back on topic though this guy is the most qualified CEO Holden has had in 10 years and might actually change the tide
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-19-2018),Ruperts Trooper (07-19-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Quote Originally Posted by uvikrama View Post
    Just facts :
    =========

GM is not General motors now, they are special motors now (they want just 2 brands like Toyota and Honda ) Buick survived because its big in china, GMC survived because it a another trim of chevy (no products of its own ).

At this moment Holden is just a regional brand and no presence outside Aus,

The main GM markets are LHD (Left hand drive ) markets and GM already got rid of RHD brands and exited RHD markets.

AUS is a small market ( may be if suzuki want to buy holden ,i think they will sell in a minute ) and with less numbers/money.

There is virtually no car manufacturing in AUS ( every one imports ) GM dont have another place to import RHD cars and manufacturing is expensive.

Now what you think ? will the brand last for 10 years ? GM will be wanting Chevy to get the place of Holden ( even chevy, they need to make RHD cars or import from some partner who makes it , just search to know and seems "GM not selling on southafrica also" ) .

Best options :
    Traditional ideas:

Sell Holden to suzuki or hyndai or psa
    Partner will a RHD car company and import and market as Holden
    Get more money from Govt and run it another 5 years and then do same .

Positive ideas :
    Convert the brand to a Lead technology/engineering brand ( say EVs like polestar brand of volvo )

Lobby Govt to change the RHD to LHD. - this is the best option , if this works, you will have lot nice options on and once the world go for drive automation etc you will be able to enjoy same.

I believe GM and maybe Ford had already approached the Australian Government about moving to LHD and were told to shove it. It's not as easy as it sounds.

But my question is if every other manufacturer in the world can build RHD vehicles for Australia (and other RHD markets), why can't GM? Obviously GM has flogged off Opel, withdrawn from other RHD markets and destroyed anyone else (i.e Holden) that was capable of making RHD vehicles. So I think GM will just withdraw from the Australian Market. I still couldn't see Chevy being imported here - that would still require GM to manufacture in RHD and I don't think they give a toss for the number of vehicles that Chevy would sell here.

As for selling Holden to Suzuki / Hyundai etc - I would have preferred GM sold Holden and it's manufacturing plant to the Punch Group when they approached GM to buy Elizabeth. At least then we would still have a car manufacturing plant in Australia. Now Holden is nothing but a importer and a empty shell.

Thanks
    My Ride

There would be less than 1% of Australian voters that would think this was a good idea. Partly because most people actually like RHD, but also because it would come at an enormous cost that has very little benefit.

Have you ever driven in a country that drives on the opposite side to what you are used to ?

I have spent the last month driving around Europe. I consider myself a good driver, and yet driving is exhausting. You are constantly reinterpreting what you think you should do. Left turns are the easy turns in Australia, right turns are now the easy turns. You have to look the opposite way to cross a road, enter roundabouts, everything.

And it isn't just cars. Pedestrians also know which way to look before crossing the road or where to get on a bus.

Why am I explaining this ? In a country with such high vehicle usage, changing to LHD would increase the road toll exponentially. I know my parents generation would not cope at all.

As well, with 18 million registered RHD vehicles, at what stage to you change to the other side of the road ? Once 10% are LHD, 50% ? How do you roll it out ? Not all roads could be converted at once, so how do you show that a road is now a drive on the right road ? And how many accidents will that cause ?

And then there is the cost of reversing the road infrastructure. It isn't just reverse the traffic direction. Signage and traffic lights and sequences need redoing. Slip lanes and turnpikes would need to be redesigned.

Australia misses out on nothing other than a few North American brands because of RHD. The rest of the manufacturers in the world build RHD cars.

White/Black, CVT
    Black/black, Auto
    Manual, EJ22 short motor, VF34 turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, ECUtek reflash
    Hidden Content

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (07-22-2018),richmond2000 (07-19-2018)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

At last GM seem to be making some positive decisions with regard to Holden.

Their new marketing manager has moved the focus from rainbow racing cars getting smashed in the arse to things people care about - Industry competitive (and dare I say leading for some segments) warranty and strong finance deals to get people to buy.

With this latest appointment, I highly doubt Dave Buttner would have accepted the role without some very strong assurances from Detroit that he would be given the resources he needs to succeed. Lets face it, it's a bit (lot) of a buyers market, especially when it comes to candidates with Dave's experience and runs on the board to build a brand with leading market share with daylight second and third.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

Just facts :

Mmmmmm yeah....... not sure you have thought thru that one. Ever considered the shear magnitude of altering road networks and other associated infrastructure to the opposite side? It would have been a mission 50 years ago but possibly do-able. Horse has well and truly bolted on that one now though.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHotMike For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (07-22-2018),richmond2000 (07-19-2018)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,915 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Sweden and Iceland changed from RHD to LHD in 1967/68 but were low traffic density countries with mainly LHD imported cars anyway - no-one has seriously suggested the UK or Ireland change. The cost would be huge and the benefit low as every car maker bar one already builds RHD versions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-19-2018)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    There would be less than 1% of Australian voters that would think this was a good idea. Partly because most people actually like RHD, but also because it would come at an enormous cost that has very little benefit.

Have you ever driven in a country that drives on the opposite side to what you are used to ?

I have spent the last month driving around Europe. I consider myself a good driver, and yet driving is exhausting. You are constantly reinterpreting what you think you should do. Left turns are the easy turns in Australia, right turns are now the easy turns. You have to look the opposite way to cross a road, enter roundabouts, everything.

And it isn't just cars. Pedestrians also know which way to look before crossing the road or where to get on a bus.

Why am I explaining this ? In a country with such high vehicle usage, changing to LHD would increase the road toll exponentially. I know my parents generation would not cope at all.

As well, with 18 million registered RHD vehicles, at what stage to you change to the other side of the road ? Once 10% are LHD, 50% ? How do you roll it out ? Not all roads could be converted at once, so how do you show that a road is now a drive on the right road ? And how many accidents will that cause ?

And then there is the cost of reversing the road infrastructure. It isn't just reverse the traffic direction. Signage and traffic lights and sequences need redoing. Slip lanes and turnpikes would need to be redesigned.

Australia misses out on nothing other than a few North American brands because of RHD. The rest of the manufacturers in the world build RHD cars.
    say they DID switch on the infrastructure side it would BE YEARS before the roads are READY for the reversal let alone bureaucratic delay / public education I would say you would be LUCKY to be driving a "LEFT HOOK" by 2030

plus as a consumer I think MOST would prefer cheap JDM imports OVER US market imports

and politally LHD is NOT going to bring GM/FORD/Toyota back to building in Australia which would be the POLITICAL "GOAL" - ++ it would be CHEAPER for the GOVT to BUY Holden themselves then to reverse traffic flow

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,960 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

With US Brexit free trade agreements, plus a Fair trade Agreement with Japan, making Right hand drive vehicles in America might suddenly make sense for General Motors..

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Great , so the idea catching up is " Lobby Govt to change the RHD to LHD."

1) Yes i have drvien on both RHD and LHD places, now a days when i go to RHD places i dont drive because its tough. It takes say a 6 months to get fully accustomed to new side driving but its only 3 months ( i have driven in both sides may be 10 years and switching was tough initially .

2) Its all AUS wants : do they want kei cars or pickup trucks ... If they want Kei cars yes , Just need to keep same. Or they get cars from India or Pakistan ( even sell too )

3) The whole idea why Japanese keep RHD will be due to home market , I dont think it's there biggest market but home market is something every one cares ( other than GM ).

I put it for a thought but i see people like it and they are saying "we like but you know we are worried about costs" . May be Govt has to figure out a plan like first having "zones and parallel roads only for LHD" and keep increasing it over years so that they reach 80% and then just switch fully.....

People will adapt in 6 months ...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,960 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Great , so the idea catching up is " Lobby Govt to change the RHD to LHD."

1) Yes i have drvien on both RHD and LHD places, now a days when i go to RHD places i dont drive because its tough. It takes say a 6 months to get fully accustomed to new side driving but its only 3 months ( i have driven in both sides may be 10 years and switching was tough initially .

2) Its all AUS wants : do they want kei cars or pickup trucks ... If they want Kei cars yes , Just need to keep same. Or they get cars from India or Pakistan ( even sell too )

3) The whole idea why Japanese keep RHD will be due to home market , I dont think it's there biggest market but home market is something every one cares ( other than GM ).

I put it for a thought but i see people like it and they are saying "we like but you know we are worried about costs" . May be Govt has to figure out a plan like first having "zones and parallel roads only for LHD" and keep increasing it over years so that they reach 80% and then just switch fully.....

I travel between RHD and LHD frequently. It does take me less than a minute to adapt. Grew up in the commonwealth and moved to United States. Now if her Majesty could convince the Canadians to join the Realm into RHD, then, maybe, just maybe, US factories would start making RHD...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-20-2018)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,915 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    With US Brexit free trade agreements, plus a Fair trade Agreement with Japan, making Right hand drive vehicles in America might suddenly make sense for General Motors..
    Spark, Sonic, Cruze and Trax would be no issue to build RHD - C1xx, D2xx and E2xx handle RHD so Malibu, Impala, Equinox and Traverse just need extra tooling - but then Chevrolet has to sell them in Europe, that's the hard part.

Thanks
    My Ride

And how many people will you kill in that 6 months ?

White/Black, CVT
    Black/black, Auto
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I travel between RHD and LHD frequently. It does take me less than a minute to adapt. Grew up in the commonwealth and moved to United States. Now if her Majesty could convince the Canadians to join the Realm into RHD, then, maybe, just maybe, US factories would start making RHD...
    I pleased for you that you can adapt that quickly. Are you confident that every other car driver on the road has the same level of adaptability ? You only need one person accidentally coming the other way to make a big mess regardless of how well you adapted.

White/Black, CVT
    Black/black, Auto
    Hidden Content

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information