Bring Holden entire to the US!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Bring Holden entire to the US!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Bring Holden entire to the US!

I posted in the Truck Talk forum about GM's vehicles sold in the US. I pointed out that over the last 30 years of owning cars, 8 out of 12 of them were GM built. I used to love General Motor's cars. Not any more. Every time they come up with a great idea, somehow they manage to over-engineer the vehicle, screw up its appearance or simply dump the brand that had a strong following. GM has simply lost its way and in my opinion is headed for the dump/scrap yard if they don't fix it soon. So how can they fix it?

For all that Holden is an unknown mark in the US, the last few years of Pontiac featured many Holden models. To be quite honest, Pontiac could be re-born with an all-Holden lineup or simply bring Holden in entire--including the Ute and every other model available in Australia. The looks, performance and model variety would be a hit among American buyers. Holden could effectively replace all three of GM's now-defunct US marks: Saturn, Pontiac and Oldsmobile. Or, if they really thought about it, they could bring Opel in from Europe as their Saturn replacement since most of Saturn's platforms were Opel designs.

Until these happen, I highly expect I will never again own a GM vehicle--neither car nor truck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bring Holden entire to the US!

my man....u kinda late, the bringing the Commodore over as the chevy SS, the Caprice is here to soon be sold to the public when it gets redone, and the Ute will likely follow....you need to read some of the older threads, all the rest of Holdens cars are already chevys, so those the Caprice, Commie, and UTE will be added to chevrolets US lineup to basically form one Brand Chevy/Holden....
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    my man....u kinda late, the bringing the Commodore over as the chevy SS, the Caprice is here to soon be sold to the public when it gets redone, and the Ute will likely follow....you need to read some of the older threads, all the rest of Holdens cars are already chevys, so those the Caprice, Commie, and UTE will be added to chevrolets US lineup to basically form one Brand Chevy/Holden....
    Look again. The Sonic, the Cruze and the Equinox at least are Opels. I believe the Malibu is as well. And I have yet to see any proof that the UTE will arrive any time soon. I want the entire line, not just a select few.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpine View Post
    Look again. The Sonic, the Cruze and the Equinox at least are Opels. I believe the Malibu is as well. And I have yet to see any proof that the UTE will arrive any time soon. I want the entire line, not just a select few.
    Vulpine, buddy, I think you might wanna visit one of the global Opel sites, or if you prefer something English-language, Vauxhall's site. The Sonic, Cruze, and Equinox are NOT Opels, they're Chevrolets.

Your basic idea, though isn't far-fetched. I believe it was a mistake for GM to align Holden with Chevrolet/GMKorea (and many Holden fans agree), but should have kept its alignment with Opel. Your suggestion that a resurrected Pontiac based on an Opel-Holden product line is not only feasible, but is a seemingly logical and practical idea. Rather than axe Opel and leave Holden dangling, GM should combine Holden-Opel to sell as a global parallel brand to Chevrolet. Hyundai-Kia and VW-Skoda are two examples of how a single corporation can have two mainstream brands that succeed despite direct competition. Under such a scheme, GM could truly take Chevrolet global, and still keep "local" brands intact. Just as Opels are Buicks in China, let Opels be Holdens in Australia, Daewoos in Korea, Vietnam, Kazakhstan, Vauxhalls in Britain, and Pontiacs in North America (or at least in Canada, where Pontiac was a stronger brand).

Thanks

I couldnt agree more t-rex.
    Holden should be moved upmarket with Opel product like Corsa, Astra and Insignia, and Chevrolet re-introduced here with their entry level vehicles like Barina/Sonic, Cruze etc from Korea, which are cheaper, de-contented Opel platforms just like Chevrolet is positioned as the cheap and cheerful in Europe below Opel.
    GM vehicles previously owned.

59 Holden Special 138
    71 Holden Premier 186
    78 Holden Commodore SL 4.2
    84 Holden Commodore SL/E 4.2
    90 Holden Calais 5.0
    98 Holden Commodore VSIII ute 5.0
    01 Holden Calais 5.7
    91 HSV Senator 5000i 5.7
    68 Chevy Impala 327
    75 Chevy Caprice 350
    76 Chevy C10 Stepside 350
    78 Chevy Caprice 305
    78 Chevy C10 Stepside 350
    86 Chevy Corvette Roadster 350
    90 Chevy Camaro RS 5.0
    65 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 429
    89 Cadillac Allante 4.5
    68 Cadillac Eldorado 472

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

IT wasnt a mistake to get the cheaper , more proffit rich GMDAT cars into Holden

Opels products were a PITA to work on , had massive costs for services and cost Holden much more to buy in the first place
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

A couple of you have mentioned that Holden cars are in the US as Chevy or Buick models but what I meant is that I want to see the entire Holden line up in the US as Holdens, not re-badged imports.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

If the whole lineup is Holden then wouldnt they all be re badged imports?
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpine View Post
    A couple of you have mentioned that Holden cars are in the US as Chevy or Buick models but what I meant is that I want to see the entire Holden line up in the US as Holdens, not re-badged imports.
    At this point in time, what Holden models exist that aren't Chevrolets here already? The Zetas and what else?

The reality is GM is not going to invest billions of dollars to introduce any brands into the U.S. market any time soon. If they were to attempt the Hyundai-Kia approach as T-Rex has stated, they would resurrect the Pontiac nameplate which already has great name recognition, and a willing dealer network... But that is not going to happen.

The sad part is, Hyundai-Kia are actually doing exactly what GM had done decades ago: Build and sell desirable cars on the same platform through brands that would compete with not only the market at large, but each other. Their secret at the time was class leading design and, more times than not, power. Unfortunately, because of bean counters, that devolved into multiple brands selling the same crappy car with a different grill, which lead to the death of a few of those brands (Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn) and ultimately the parent company's bankruptcy...

They may try to combine brands outside North America, but I don't see any more nameplates coming other than the 4 "Core" brands that are currently here on the market...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    At this point in time, what Holden models exist that aren't Chevrolets here already? The Zetas and what else?

The reality is GM is not going to invest billions of dollars to introduce any brands into the U.S. market any time soon. If they were to attempt the Hyundai-Kia approach as T-Rex has stated, they would resurrect the Pontiac nameplate which already has great name recognition, and a willing dealer network... But that is not going to happen.

The sad part is, Hyundai-Kia are actually doing exactly what GM had done decades ago: Build and sell desirable cars on the same platform through brands that would compete with not only the market at large, but each other. Their secret at the time was class leading design and, more times than not, power. Unfortunately, because of bean counters, that devolved into multiple brands selling the same crappy car with a different grill, which lead to the death of a few of those brands (Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn) and ultimately the parent company's bankruptcy...

They may try to combine brands outside North America, but I don't see any more nameplates coming other than the 4 "Core" brands that are currently here on the market...
    /thread

To think that GM would go through the whole ordeal of shutting down a fairly popular brand in Pontiac, just to spend billions to reintroduce a brand that is the same as an existing brand (Chevrolet) save for one car (Commodore and its derivatives) is... I don't even know where to start.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information