VFacts September 2019: Decline Continues - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VFacts September 2019: Decline Continues

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,291 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Re: VFacts September 2019: Decline Continues

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    They have tried that

It hasn't worked this time like it did last time

Right at the moment we are on shaky ground financially in this country
    Not really, there's just nothing doing and thanks to tax cuts and no wages growth, people are now not spending, they're saving and paying down debts cause that just don't know what lies ahead....that's all dependent on external forces out of our control.

Things are not that bad, people are just painting gloom because they're so used to living in a continuous boom, they've forgotten what a flat economy is like.

Old freckle is bent on continued government surpluses and not spending, well he has to take the good with the bad and there's consequences for not spending as much as before.
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-16-2019 at 06:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    They have tried that

It hasn't worked this time like it did last time

Right at the moment we are on shaky ground financially in this country
    Not really, there's just nothing doing and thanks to tax cuts and no wages growth, people are now not spending, they're saving and paying down debts cause that just don't know what lies ahead....that's all dependent on external forces out of our control.

Things are not that bad, people are just painting gloom because they're so used to living in a continuous boom, they've forgotten what a flat economy is like.

Old freckle is bent on continued government surpluses and not spending, well he has to take the good with the bad and there's consequences for not spending as much as before.
    They're being "fiscally conservative" which is what they said they'd do. Some of the associated measures are half the problem, like cutting a truckload of funding from government support offices (Centrelink etc) forcing job cuts of permanent positions, then rehiring the workforce through Labor hire contractors, creates a whole segment of employees people that don't fit the stricter lending criteria for banks.

Like you've said, he has to wear the consequence of lower growth, but I doubt the other mob have anything useful on hand to stimulate growth, and return the level of consumer confidence to kick off an automotive purchasing Renaissance. Even EVs aren't at the purchasing point yet where stimulus is going to drive significant purchasing (particularly with the current minimal infrastructure).
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

hq308 (10-16-2019),jpd80 (10-16-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    They're being "fiscally conservative" which is what they said they'd do. Some of the associated measures are half the problem, like cutting a truckload of funding from government support offices (Centrelink etc) forcing job cuts of permanent positions, then rehiring the workforce through Labor hire contractors, creates a whole segment of employees people that don't fit the stricter lending criteria for banks.

Like you've said, he has to wear the consequence of lower growth, but I doubt the other mob have anything useful on hand to stimulate growth, and return the level of consumer confidence to kick off an automotive purchasing Renaissance. Even EVs aren't at the purchasing point yet where stimulus is going to drive significant purchasing (particularly with the current minimal infrastructure).
    Good post, I wasn't intending to be politically biased here, the alternative
    is to spend money by putting it into the community as a stimulus package
    but I understand that would undo all the good work begun on reducing debt.

Of more importance, every company has to reset and realise that the sun will
    still come up tomorrow and things will keep going. The world is not ending.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Overall there is no doubt things could be done better. The fundamental problem right now is confidence. Raise confidence for the future and people will spend. Some external world issues such as Trump and his war on everything non 'merican nothing can be done for in Australia. Other things on the domestic front govco can play a part and do better. Weather you think Brexit is a good thing or a bad thing, I suggest that the whole mess finally looking like it is getting sorted out is a good thing. It has been a bigger farce than the whole Greek loan default thing earlier this decade. Yup the worst did seem to happen (and continues to( but somehow they make it work and the world has moved on. Finalise Brexit and the world will move on (possibly to the UK imploding into a black hole created by a particularly evil dalek or something - this remains to be seen)

AusGovCo is copping a fair old whack about slow wage growth which is fact. No getting away from it - it is fact. They must explain the whole story with this issue better. Ie that is only part of the equation - on the other side, inflation is also relatively low. Income tax cuts don't add any more to the top line of the pay packet but certainly have given most more to spend in their bank accounts (ie who cares weather it's a wage rise or tax cut - the worker ends up with more money which is the aim). Unemployment, whilst up somewhat on early this year is still also relatively low at 5.4% (September 2019) nationally. Note that 'full employment' is considered to be at 4.5%.

Of course there are no end of other examples where things can be done differently or better. It is important to note that many seemingly simple solutions are anything but - do 1 thing and there will be a cost else where which quite often is considered worse in the greater scheme of things.

Will the RBA lowering the cash rate help any further? Sort of, but not how we traditionally think of it. Dropping the rate to what is roughly on par with the rest of the world will help keep the AUS$ low. That helps keep our exports competitive which is good for employment. Of course the yang of this is it also drives up the cost of imports which certainly won't help our struggling retail sector. How do you objectively measure it to determine the greater good?? Dunno - needs somebody way smarter and on a much higher pay grade than me to work that one out!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedHotMike For This Useful Post:

hq308 (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

I think this is a case where the RBA needed to stay out and just keep
    rates the same as in constant, the last thing business and ordinary
    people need is change that causes negative consequences.

Maybe get going with Inland Rail project and more dams for farmers
    things that take years to do but stick in the minds of people and
    business as improvement to infrastructure for when things get better.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

hq308 (10-17-2019),richmond2000 (10-17-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

The inland rail project should be done and done quickly. It is an infrastructure that will bring results as soon as it is operational. Dams are different. They are no good unless they fill with water and if it rains to fill thee dams then the old ones will be filled too and the need for those new dams is negated. I would prefer to see us planting lots more trees and reducing land clearing. Maybe even an idea about subsidising vegetables would be help. If more people ate vegies then the health costs would go down so the subsidy would be recouped fairly quickly.
    The big problem with the RBA reducing rates is that it affects people with savings as well as those who have borrowed. I feel that if you got a mortgage at a certain rate then you shouldn't expect that rate to change frequently. I have noticed that the interest rate on deposits changes a hell of a lot faster than the lending rate does.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

mikmak (10-17-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Would love to see a petrol V8 in the Colorado.... come on Holden, shake things up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Downandout For This Useful Post:

hq308 (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    HQ Holden 1974 Saffron Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    The inland rail project should be done and done quickly. It is an infrastructure that will bring results as soon as it is operational. Dams are different. They are no good unless they fill with water and if it rains to fill thee dams then the old ones will be filled too and the need for those new dams is negated. I would prefer to see us planting lots more trees and reducing land clearing. Maybe even an idea about subsidising vegetables would be help. If more people ate vegies then the health costs would go down so the subsidy would be recouped fairly quickly.
    The big problem with the RBA reducing rates is that it affects people with savings as well as those who have borrowed. I feel that if you got a mortgage at a certain rate then you shouldn't expect that rate to change frequently. I have noticed that the interest rate on deposits changes a hell of a lot faster than the lending rate does.
    Until interest rates start to rise then the opposite will be true.
    Current rides
    2004 VZ SV6
    2005 VZ Commodore Wagon HFV6
    1974 HQ Holden 308 V8

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    HQ Holden 1974 Saffron Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by Downandout View Post
    Would love to see a petrol V8 in the Colorado.... come on Holden, shake things up.
    As silly as this might sound to some people, this is something that would bring customers back into Holden dealerships.
    Current rides
    2004 VZ SV6
    2005 VZ Commodore Wagon HFV6
    1974 HQ Holden 308 V8

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

They better because in 2021, Ranger Raptor grows a giant set.....

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ive heard the Ranger Raptor sales have been pretty disappointing, a good buy used though as there has been a few been put through the Ford employee fleet.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Commodore update:

Production in Rüsselsheim is to stop in November.

And there are 2 conflicting sets of information. One source claims that this is the end. And another source claims that production will resume mid-2020, facelifted model, subject to fleet demand.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Downandout View Post
    Ive heard the Ranger Raptor sales have been pretty disappointing, a good buy used though as there has been a few been put through the Ford employee fleet.
    At least Ford is still smiling with great 4x4 sales. Raptor sales have been doing OK but Ford has heard the Aussie performance enthusiasts and let's just say that the next Raptor will more than make up for what has passed....

What Ford has noticed is the growing number of modified XLTs and it
    intends capturing more of those accessories as factory fitted packs
    like the Wildtrak Plus ($6K of accessory value for $2K)
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-19-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden Astra RS-V

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Commodore update:

And there are 2 conflicting sets of information. One source claims that this is the end. And another source claims that production will resume mid-2020, facelifted model, subject to fleet demand.
    Even with the second option, will Holden even persist with the Commodore?

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Commodore update:

Ending Polish production of Astra and moving that to Russelsheim
    Production hours at the plant have been cut to about a third so just
    ticking over on order based production only until Astra production starts.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information