VFACTS May: Rav 4 Launches, Holden down on '18 but up on April - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VFACTS May: Rav 4 Launches, Holden down on '18 but up on April

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC carisi2k9's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 VE Sportswagon

Re: VFACTS May: Rav 4 Launches, Holden down on '18 but up on April

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Did they really expect >2000/month? Didn't they at least revise the target since Dave Butner arrived? I was overtly positive about the ZB and my rosiest prediction was 1500. Now I'd consider cracking 1000 to be a partial success, but I doubt that would have been big enough to justify the business case.

I'd be interested to see how it would have sold if it was built in Elizabeth as originally planned. Would the less negative sentiment be worth 1000 sales /month? Even then that wouldn't be enough to sustain the plant.
    If it was built in Adelaide it would have easily been on 2,000 a month. It would have had the police force to themselves as there would have been a v8 version that would be driving sales.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC carisi2k9's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 VE Sportswagon

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    It's much simpler than that, Japanese and Korean Carmakers are more than happy to build affordable RHD cars and SUVs for our market where as Ford and GM find that increasingly harder to justify. Both now seem content to offer what makes sense to them and leave the Aussie market to Toyota, Mazda, Hyunda, Kia and Mitsubishi.

There is a chance that Ford will do more in our market once Ford Europe's products are reformed but I think Holden's goose is cooked and they willbe left with what drops from GM's table.
    I think that pretty much sums it up. This is why Holden and GM is dead in Australia unfortunately. Only the locally made stuff ever sold in Australia and all of the imported GM stuff always failed.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 AceRimmer's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by carisi2k9 View Post
    Did they really expect >2000/month? Didn't they at least revise the target since Dave Butner arrived? I was overtly positive about the ZB and my rosiest prediction was 1500. Now I'd consider cracking 1000 to be a partial success, but I doubt that would have been big enough to justify the business case.

I'd be interested to see how it would have sold if it was built in Elizabeth as originally planned. Would the less negative sentiment be worth 1000 sales /month? Even then that wouldn't be enough to sustain the plant.
    If it was built in Adelaide it would have easily been on 2,000 a month. It would have had the police force to themselves as there would have been a v8 version that would be driving sales.
    No doubt sales would have been slightly (and only slightly) better as Holden would have had the 'buy Australian' fleet market. But it was always going to be a FWD 4 cylinder, AWD V6 combo. Unless they stuck to Zeta, there never was going to be a V8 version.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,270 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    No doubt sales would have been slightly (and only slightly) better as Holden would have had the 'buy Australian' fleet market. But it was always going to be a FWD 4 cylinder, AWD V6 combo. Unless they stuck to Zeta, there never was going to be a V8 version.
    I would think SS may have stuck around a little longer.

Remember all those rumors in around 2012 and 2013 just before VF arrived that the next Commodore was to be a FWD base model and V8 at the high end?

I think that was the short term plan until an import was available to replace SS
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty
    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    I would think SS may have stuck around a little longer.

Remember all those rumors in around 2012 and 2013 just before VF arrived that the next Commodore was to be a FWD base model and V8 at the high end?

I think that was the short term plan until an import was available to replace SS
    I think that rumour was nothing more than a rumour. A traverse V8? Highly unlikely. Its crowded enough with the 6. Happy to be corrected if anyone has something substantial...
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm pretty confident they would have found room for some turbos on the V6 though.

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

No Aussie made cars were made/sold month very sad news indeed.

Ranger/Colorado is all that really left of Ford/Holden what very sad times we live in today.

No doubt the usual Holden Billy BSters's on here who stick thier heads in the sand will disagree.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carisi2k9 View Post

Since the end of local manufacturing Police across the country have been looking for suitable replacements for Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon pursuit cars. So far, the Kia Stinger, Chrysler SRT and BMW 530d have made the cut. But Victoria Police has thrown us a curve ball with news an all-electric Tesla Model X will enter into full operational duties, including as a highway patrol car as of today.

The Model X is a one-off at this stage and will help Victorian cops get their heads around complexities such as working with Tesla’s engineers, emergency equipment manufacturers, the department’s vehicle installation contractor and Victoria Police’s IT and communications technicians.

“There is also a great environmental benefit to electric vehicles and considering our State Highway Patrol vehicles travel thousands of kilometres on the road per year, we should always be looking at ways we can lessen our impact on the environment.”

The Model X will be the fastest car on any Australian police fleet. The Model X can shoot to 100km/h in just 4.6 seconds.

LINK

You can see the way the Aussie police force is heading in the future Tesla, the gutless FWD Insignia is losing all the contracts for GM why would you buy a car that has no future whose future will be ending soon that couldn't catch a tortoise, like the rebadged Insignia?

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Aussie Car is no more

Zero Australian-made car sales in May marks the end of a golden era

FOR the first time in more than 70 years, no Australian-built cars were sold in the local market last month.

Holden, which has been running out remnants of its locally built Commodore sedan and ute range since production stopped in October 2017, finally appears to have cleared the stock, recording zero sales of locally sourced vehicles last month, according to official VFACTS sales figures for May.

The GM subsidiary had sold 43 locally manufactured cars in the four months prior to that, becoming the last of the ‘big three’ Australian manufacturers to trouble the scorer.

Both Toyota and Ford had already cleared away discontinued local models by the end of last year, moving on to a fully imported line-up.

The Australian-made car has been a fixture of the local market since 1948 when the first true-blue Holden rolled off the Fishermans Bend production line in Victoria.

The biggest source of vehicles in Australia now is Japan which supplied almost a third of the cars and trucks sold locally last month. It is followed by Thailand – source of most of the popular pick-ups that top the sales these days – on 22,979 units.

LINK

Very sad times indeed.

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

I'm pretty confident they would have found room for some turbos on the V6 though.
    From what I heard even if they were made here it was going to be FWD 4 cyl, although you can bet if it was going to be made here Holden would have had a big hand in the engineering and if they did you can bet they would of fit the turbos in there.
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    3 on The Tree is back home Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,270 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

I think that rumour was nothing more than a rumour. A traverse V8? Highly unlikely. Its crowded enough with the 6. Happy to be corrected if anyone has something substantial...
    I think you misunderstood my post

SS on Zeta would have stuck around a little longer until a possible import was available or as others have suggested more power with twin turbos added to ZB
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    I think you misunderstood my post

SS on Zeta would have stuck around a little longer until a possible import was available or as others have suggested more power with twin turbos added to ZB
    I think you're right (re my misunderstanding).

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post

Since the end of local manufacturing Police across the country have been looking for suitable replacements for Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon pursuit cars. So far, the Kia Stinger, Chrysler SRT and BMW 530d have made the cut. But Victoria Police has thrown us a curve ball with news an all-electric Tesla Model X will enter into full operational duties, including as a highway patrol car as of today.

The Model X is a one-off at this stage and will help Victorian cops get their heads around complexities such as working with Tesla’s engineers, emergency equipment manufacturers, the department’s vehicle installation contractor and Victoria Police’s IT and communications technicians.

“There is also a great environmental benefit to electric vehicles and considering our State Highway Patrol vehicles travel thousands of kilometres on the road per year, we should always be looking at ways we can lessen our impact on the environment.”

The Model X will be the fastest car on any Australian police fleet. The Model X can shoot to 100km/h in just 4.6 seconds.

LINK

You can see the way the Aussie police force is heading in the future Tesla, the gutless FWD Insignia is losing all the contracts for GM why would you buy a car that has no future whose future will be ending soon that couldn't catch a tortoise, like the rebadged Insignia?
    As much as I hate to feed the trolls, trialling a $167,000 car is nothing more than a publicity stunt. Despite its wings, the Model X will not take off as an operational police vehicle.

Having said that, the Model 3 is 66k. If they can make a paddy wagon out of it, I'm sure it would be a popular piece of equipment.

Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

They are trialing it mainly for the purpose of integration between the equipment they use and what comes with the vehicle I believe. More and more systems are being used so they need to find a vehicle that integrates efficiently as much as one that does the mechanical things they require.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

mikmak (06-24-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    They are trialing it mainly for the purpose of integration between the equipment they use and what comes with the vehicle I believe. More and more systems are being used so they need to find a vehicle that integrates efficiently as much as one that does the mechanical things they require.
    It seems ideal (aside from the cost). I wonder how they fair in pursuits (how quickly does the battery drain)?

Hidden Content

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information